Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm hillcoach and new to this site. I've never posted so I'm not sure if I'm correctly following the necessary procedure. I need some advice regarding my driver's front window. I hope that someone out there can help. I've got an 08 Tundra Grade DC 4x4 with the 5.7. Bought it new in '08 & love the truck. Today my driver's door was damaged. It looks like it was kicked hard right in the center. I was able to push out the majority of the dent by removing the door panel and simply popping it back out. I'm nervous about making the area worse so I'll probably just live with the slight remaining imperfections. My main concern is that my window now rolls up and down very slowly when it's within 6" or so of closing. The window was down at the time of the damage. My suspicion is that the mechanism is slghtly bent. Is it difficult to remove the window, then mechanism? Any help you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated. As this is the 1st damage this truck has suffered, I'm really bummed. Unfortunately I don't have the cash to have the work done professionally...

·
Registered
859 Posts
That bites dude.

Could have bent something inside the door. Not necessarily the mechanism, but the door 'framework' that supports the door skin (and the mechanism). You need to really look at it with the panel off and see where it rubs. Post some pics too as its easier to give appropriate advice.

First choice for 'dent removal' is to try a PDR guy. If the metal isnt creased, it might not be too expensive, especially if you remove the door panel and stuff first. But, you may have nixed that by trying to push out the dent yourself. If you just let it pop and didnt try to 'bang' it into shape, you may still be in luck. And by not too expensive, I mean $100 or less if you remove the panel first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice on PDR. At this point I haven't banged anything. As far as the window, with the panel off I can't see anything rubbing or out of allignment. I may have to suck it up and take it in to a shop.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
If the inner structure of the door is damaged and the mechanism that opens and closes the window then it might be worth filing an insurance claim and letting a shop fix it right. It's only a two year old truck I would definitly have it fixed. Good luck man that sucks that some A-hole kicked your truck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fragman & Maylon TRD - Thanks for the support and advice. After reading Fragman's post I went back tonight and looked more closely at the window frame. Turns out it was also dented just enough to interfere with smooth closure. I guess I hadn't noticed it earlier due to the flat black paint on the window trim and that fact that I couldn't stop staring at the massive dent in the middle of the door. I was able to work out the window frame dent fairly easily and the window now closes as it should. As for the remaing dents, I've got a PDR guy coming to check it out tomorrow. Thanks again. I really appreciate it! hillcoach

1 - 5 of 5 Posts