Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the life of me I can't find the thread where a member recently purchased the fixed LCD/camera combo off of ebay (Rostra or a good imitation of it) after several different searches, but here is my question.
I bought the same combo and received the package a few days ago. It includes detailed instructions for how to mount and install the LCD in the front sunglass holder, but there are absolutely no instructions for how to install the actual camera. I'm going to send the seller a request for this, but if anybody has these and can post them or describe them here, that would be great! I don't think it is difficult to do, but none of the cables are labelled except for a couple of ones that are freakin' obvious (a lot of good that does).
So far it looks like a pretty good package, I hope the weather will be good for the install!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Here you go.....

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/184791-budget-versions-popular-mods-dvd-lift/

The OP and I both mounted our cameras at the top edge of the license plate. There is a photo in the link. Don't put it in that gap between the tailgate and the bumper, because that disappears when you open the tailgate. That would equate to a crushed camera if you were lucky and a dented tailgate if you were not.

If you got the same cables I did, then you will have a cable with a yellow video plug and a red plug (looks like a plug off a power supply) at each end. Plug the yellow and red plugs into the connections on the monitor, and plug the OTHER monitor connection into the Factory harness. Route that cable through the headliner, down one of the front pillars (easy to remove) and from there to the back of the truck. I went through the firewall, I think Barney_fife may have opted for another route. Not sure.

Zip tie it along the existing harness toward the back of the truck. The video should connect via an included adapter to the camara video cable.

For power to the camera, Barney_Fife hooked it into the reverse circuit. I got myself a couple of butt connectors from Radioshack. That red plug you routed to the back of the truck is carrying 12V. Also in the package should be a cable with the mating end for that red plug. It has two bare wires at the other end. I used the butt connector to connect those to the power leads for the camera. That way I didn't have to hook into vehicle wires. It also makes it more easily unplugged.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here you go.....

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/184791-budget-versions-popular-mods-dvd-lift/

The OP and I both mounted our cameras at the top edge of the license plate. There is a photo in the link. Don't put it in that gap between the tailgate and the bumper, because that disappears when you open the tailgate. That would equate to a crushed camera if you were lucky and a dented tailgate if you were not.

If you got the same cables I did, then you will have a cable with a yellow video plug and a red plug (looks like a plug off a power supply) at each end. Plug the yellow and red plugs into the connections on the monitor, and plug the OTHER monitor connection into the Factory harness. Route that cable through the headliner, down one of the front pillars (easy to remove) and from there to the back of the truck. I went through the firewall, I think Barney_fife may have opted for another route. Not sure.

Zip tie it along the existing harness toward the back of the truck. The video should connect via an included adapter to the camara video cable.

For power to the camera, Barney_Fife hooked it into the reverse circuit. I got myself a couple of butt connectors from Radioshack. That red plug you routed to the back of the truck is carrying 12V. Also in the package should be a cable with the mating end for that red plug. It has two bare wires at the other end. I used the butt connector to connect those to the power leads for the camera. That way I didn't have to hook into vehicle wires. It also makes it more easily unplugged.
Hey, thanks! Does not having to hook into the vehicle wires allow you to turn the monitor on/off at will? Or do the connectors to the lcd monitor from the vehicle power it up only in reverse?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hey, thanks! Does not having to hook into the vehicle wires allow you to turn the monitor on/off at will? Or do the connectors to the lcd monitor from the vehicle power it up only in reverse?
Still only reverse. The monitor is powered from the vehicle harness, so only gets powered when reverse is engaged. In my case, the camera is powered from the monitor, so that also only gets power when reverse is engaged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Very timely, mine arrived today and I'm diving in.

·
Registered
859 Posts
It seems to cope with the low light from backup lights OK. Not IR capable though. Its more grainy at night, but you can see. IIRC the person who posted the original thread has an auxillary reverse light wired into his trailer harness or something.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
It seems to cope with the low light from backup lights OK. Not IR capable though. Its more grainy at night, but you can see. IIRC the person who posted the original thread has an auxillary reverse light wired into his trailer harness or something.
sorry guys been on vaca and only half azz lookin at TS.

so far so good on the replies haha. but the light i have is this one
U-Haul moving supplies: Light Buster Trailer Hitch Accessory Light

but even w/o it in there the backup lights have had enough light to make things visible in my monitor.....

the one thing i have had issues with, and not sure if its an angle thing or what, is when i backup in the middle of the day time sometimes the shadow from the truck makes it hard to see..... glad to see others are getting this kit though...cant beat the price IMO.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Finally went to start installing on my 07 CM today after sitting in the garage for almost 2 years, and realized I was sent the mounting-bracket type camera vs. the tailgate handle-mounted one I thought I bought/had. Before I go ahead and mount on the bumper above the license plate like you guys vs. seeing if I can swap cameras, wanted to see:

1. How have they held up in that mounting position? Seems a little vulnerable to me.
2. Can you see your hitch from that mounting position?

Thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
can someone post pix of their camera mounted? This is the squarish camera, right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check the link above from Fragman to Barney_Fife's post with a pic.

In my brilliance (again almost 2 years later, which adds to said brilliance) figured out I paid $200 for the monitor and camera (appears can get just monitor for ~$115), but I need the tailgate-handle mounted camera (250-8106 or 8109...per someone else's post can't see the difference) for pre-wired trucks...the one I have is for non-pre-wired, though apparently you can purchase a separate interface harness to use it. Some quick searching shows $230 (ebay) is the best deal so far for just the camera I need/want. Damn.

·
Registered
570 Posts
good discussion > and I have a twist. I recently got a backup camera as a gift. However, we don't really bumper pull anymore. Our trailer is a goose neck. So, i am thinking about mounting it in the back of the bed so it films the truck bed.

also, it recommends that I t off the reverse lights. I would rather, if possible, mount a small battery in my toolbox and run the wires from there. I wrote the company a couple of weeks ago with questions, and they never did answer.

thoughts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts