Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i've searched the forum, as well as google, but can't find the answer. 1st ill call myself above average for being mechanically inclined, have done, only on cars, engine swaps, turbo installs, manual to auto swaps etc.. i've had an 04 taco till 08, but never did anything except cd/ speakers to it.this is the 1st truck i'm actually mssing around with besides electronics.

so heres my question, this is the second time making an attempt to put on the rough country 3" spacer, and still no effing luck. 1st time i couldnt get the lower control arm bolts loose, so i gave up. well i tried again today, and got the nuts loose, and while doing so moved the alignment cams out of place, no big deal i'll get an alignment after. well after putting the spacer ontop the strut, and placing the top back, and loosly attaching the upper strut nuts, i still can't get the bottom of the struck back in the lower control arm. even jacking the lower control arm up, the strut seems to hit the swaybar, and i can't, evven hitting with a hammer to push it back. with reading all these posts, and seeing all the pics of everyones truck with leveling kits, how did you guys manage to get it done?

the instructions say when u loosen the lca nuts, that it will cause the arm do drop enough to seat the bottom of the strut, but when i got them loose, i did not see any kind of drop, just the ability to slide the arm front to back.

if anyone has any input i would really appreaciate it, because id like to get his put on tomo if possible, b/c i need an alignment now, from moving those cams out of line. if not, i'm just going to sell the kit.

-Chris

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
mine was easy. first off as u probally found out only one of the ends of the CA bolt will move haha i found that out...one is tack welded so u can only go from one end...cant recall if it was a nut or a bolt but its obvious. only one wants to move. i felt dumb after trying that for a while. but i just loosened mine slightly to make it lose enough to drop down...i just foller'd the instructions...mine was an ebay spacer lift but is just like a readylift so u can see their instructions if they are any different from the RC one. it takes two people from my experience to get the dam thing to line back up. after doing it with two of us i can see no way in doing it solo haha. not enough hands to get it all to line up. wish u were close, i'd offer to help. i was really suprised how easy mine went in. and thats my first suspension mod on any car besides just replacing shocks in the past.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
The sway bar needs to be removed completely--linkages and the main bar. Supposed to mark the cam bolt before removing it, so when you put it back together the alignment is not gonna be way off. Check for any arrow marks on the spacer and strut. Those are supposed to point towards the wheel--I think. I was reading the instructions for Low Range Off Road that I'm planning to install myself in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mine was easy. first off as u probally found out only one of the ends of the CA bolt will move haha i found that out...one is tack welded so u can only go from one end...cant recall if it was a nut or a bolt but its obvious. only one wants to move. i felt dumb after trying that for a while. but i just loosened mine slightly to make it lose enough to drop down...i just foller'd the instructions...mine was an ebay spacer lift but is just like a readylift so u can see their instructions if they are any different from the RC one. it takes two people from my experience to get the dam thing to line back up. after doing it with two of us i can see no way in doing it solo haha. not enough hands to get it all to line up. wish u were close, i'd offer to help. i was really suprised how easy mine went in. and thats my first suspension mod on any car besides just replacing shocks in the past.
yeah i figured out the first time about the lca bolts...took me 6 hrs to do nothing, instead of the 3-4 for the whole truck. i think i might try the readylift instructions, b/c they talk about disconnecting the lca from the wheel hub, that seems to be the only difference..i appreciate the two people idea..not sure if i'll have sum1 to help, but i'll see what i can come up with

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The sway bar needs to be removed completely--linkages and the main bar. Supposed to mark the cam bolt before removing it, so when you put it back together the alignment is not gonna be way off. Check for any arrow marks on the spacer and strut. Those are supposed to point towards the wheel--I think. I was reading the instructions for Low Range Off Road that I'm planning to install myself in the next few weeks.
since i only did the passenger side, i was able to compare the hash marks to the driverside, so it's not as far off as you would think, and i only loosened the nuts, not removed the bolts, and the strut spacer only goes on one way, and i put the strut back in with the arrow and word "out" facing out..lol..so

·
Registered
112 Posts
heres some advice for you

First off Tighten down the strut to the spacer tight as you can get them while off the truck, make sure you have the new studs in the spacer hole before you put the strut on

leave the new studs loose just sitting in the hole do not drive them in like the instructions tell you

Make sure you have the sway bar loose completly

you do not have to loosen the Lower control arms I did not on mine, I am lazy and do heavy truck repair for a living I find ways around things, lol

Now you will need 2 pry bars I used one about 4 foot long and one about 36" long

Put the strut tower into the front end, connect the lower shock bolt first, have some one hold the biggest prybar between the frame and lower control are and pry down, I used my foot to hold it with, Then take the other pry bar and put it under the upper control arm and top of the strut mount on the truck, pry the upper control arm as far as you can get it and then push the strut and spacer into the housing

then take your shorter pry bar and stick it in and pry the new studs on the spacers up and into the hold and put the nuts on them and tighten

Now put your jack under the lower control arm and raise it up until the truck comes off the jack stand( you are using jack stands right, LOL

once it is raised as far as it will go before moving the truck, take your 36" bar and pry the upper control arm down into the spindle and attach ball joint nut,

By now the swaybar will be close to lining up, use a line up punch from the the other side and start your bolt and drive it through

Then button everything up and enjoy, Oh yeah word of caution the front Cv joint will pop out and will have to be took apart to put all the balls back in and grease, the snap ring is just a piece of wire in the front end of these trucks

Hope this helps if not PM me and you can call me and I can help you if you need it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
heres some advice for you

First off Tighten down the strut to the spacer tight as you can get them while off the truck, make sure you have the new studs in the spacer hole before you put the strut on

leave the new studs loose just sitting in the hole do not drive them in like the instructions tell you

Make sure you have the sway bar loose completly

you do not have to loosen the Lower control arms I did not on mine, I am lazy and do heavy truck repair for a living I find ways around things, lol

Now you will need 2 pry bars I used one about 4 foot long and one about 36" long

Put the strut tower into the front end, connect the lower shock bolt first, have some one hold the biggest prybar between the frame and lower control are and pry down, I used my foot to hold it with, Then take the other pry bar and put it under the upper control arm and top of the strut mount on the truck, pry the upper control arm as far as you can get it and then push the strut and spacer into the housing

then take your shorter pry bar and stick it in and pry the new studs on the spacers up and into the hold and put the nuts on them and tighten

Now put your jack under the lower control arm and raise it up until the truck comes off the jack stand( you are using jack stands right, LOL

once it is raised as far as it will go before moving the truck, take your 36" bar and pry the upper control arm down into the spindle and attach ball joint nut,

By now the swaybar will be close to lining up, use a line up punch from the the other side and start your bolt and drive it through

Then button everything up and enjoy, Oh yeah word of caution the front Cv joint will pop out and will have to be took apart to put all the balls back in and grease, the snap ring is just a piece of wire in the front end of these trucks

Hope this helps if not PM me and you can call me and I can help you if you need it
i appreciate it very much, i'll try that seems way easier than effing with the alignment cams.. one questoin, when you talk about removing the sway bar, are you advising to take off both sides together!?

ps. yes i use jack stands, and wheel chocks lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
No do one side at a time, leave one side on the ground, because if it lifts off one jack stand it can and will krill over, But this way it is alot easier and should be able to do each side in about 20 mins with 2 people

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No do one side at a time, leave one side on the ground, because if it lifts off one jack stand it can and will krill over, But this way it is alot easier and should be able to do each side in about 20 mins with 2 people
alright thanks..i'm going to try again friday i'll see how it works out...it's just so frustrating, that i can swap a whole motor in a civic in 4 hrs, but can't get a 3" spacer to sit on a coil..lol

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well...my personal experience from this afternoon after installing the rough country 3/1.5 kit is that this was a total pain in the ass. And that's cause I had one of my buddies helping me out. Their would have been NO WAY I could have done this by myself. Pry this, wedge that, move this, move that and six hours later we are finished....sort of. Their is a rattling in the back but I think it is the ubolts and we also managed to move the rear axle when we were putting on the blocks...don't ask how! We finally got everything lined back up. But I'm gonna have to go back tomorrow and check those u ubolts. I can hear the rattling goin down the road and also when I jump on the rear bumper. And the front...that's a whole nother story. The upper control arms are at a horrible angle...one of them was even rubbing the coil when it was at full droop. Oh ya and if you loosen the lca bolts make sure u don't tighten them until the full weight of the truck is on the ground. I think The uca angles will get a little better and everything will be fine after my truck gets a much needed alignment. Anyways, I thought I would share my story. If anyone has any constructive criticism...im all ears.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well...my personal experience from this afternoon after installing the rough country 3/1.5 kit is that this was a total pain in the ass. And that's cause I had one of my buddies helping me out. Their would have been NO WAY I could have done this by myself. Pry this, wedge that, move this, move that and six hours later we are finished....sort of. Their is a rattling in the back but I think it is the ubolts and we also managed to move the rear axle when we were putting on the blocks...don't ask how! We finally got everything lined back up. But I'm gonna have to go back tomorrow and check those u ubolts. I can hear the rattling goin down the road and also when I jump on the rear bumper. And the front...that's a whole nother story. The upper control arms are at a horrible angle...one of them was even rubbing the coil when it was at full droop. Oh ya and if you loosen the lca bolts make sure u don't tighten them until the full weight of the truck is on the ground. I think The uca angles will get a little better and everything will be fine after my truck gets a much needed alignment. Anyways, I thought I would share my story. If anyone has any constructive criticism...im all ears.

thanks for your input...there is a guy who lives a few houses down who went to hs with me, and has a mean ass rock crawler jeep he did..he said he'd help me do mine, still not done, when he gets some time..price...beer..lol

once its done i sure will let you know, but based off of what you just said with two people..i felt like that with 1, so i figured it is still going to be a pain in the ass with 2 experienced people..

chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts