Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put on a set of 33" BFG KO's. I also have a set of Ranch 9000 xl's set on the softest setting. My truck still rides like a 3/4 ton. Here is the really weird part some times the truck will ride better than other times. I can't figure out if it has to do with outside temperature, colder=rougher ride due to the rubber on the tires being firmer. Or is an issue with my Rancho's. Any ideas?

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I just put on a set of 33" BFG KO's. I also have a set of Ranch 9000 xl's set on the softest setting. My truck still rides like a 3/4 ton. Here is the really weird part some times the truck will ride better than other times. I can't figure out if it has to do with outside temperature, colder=rougher ride due to the rubber on the tires being firmer. Or is an issue with my Rancho's. Any ideas?
I'm assuming that your bfg ko's are e rated tires so they really aren't supposed to give a great ride. When it is hotter outside the pressure in the tires and the shocks would go up, so maybe make it a little harder. Are you driving on the same roads when you feel the difference? I really don't know?? What pressure are you running in the tires?

·
Registered
420 Posts

What load range are the tires, what PSI are you running them at?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same roads, E rated, and recommend tire pressure 65 psi. The crazy thing is sometimes it rides fine and other times I think my teeth are going to rattle out. Keep in mind these are traveling over the same roads. The only thing that I can figure is that the outside temperature has some effect. But that is a just a lame theory.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Your shock setting maybe too soft. Not enough damping during rebound. Adjust them to 2, then test drive, then to 3, then test drive and so on and so forth until you find the "soft spot."
65 PSI may be too high for a 1/2 ton truck that is not loaded. But anyways, make adjustments one component at a time. You can start with the shocks or the rear tire pressure. Also, note that the Ranchos dampens more on the rebound. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
519 Posts
My BFG's gave my a horrible ride. I say its the tires.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Its the tires. I ran mine at 60psi. They ride tough...but they are TOUGH tires.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
my E's (toyos) are super rough if aired up that much. im running about 45 or so in mine and the ride is fine...i only tow our boat so its nothign big. dont need the E tires i just wanted them. :) but yes, an E rated tire with 65 psi is gonna ride rough...

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
I'm currently running my E rated BFG KO's about 45-50, and air them up for heavier trailer. Rough ride compared to my wife's MDX, smooth compared to my prior 3/4 ton Dodge. I wanted tough tires, and they're still good to go at almost 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured that the E rated tires would be rough. I was just hoping that with adding the Ranchos I would be able to lessen the effect of the tires.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I am glad you guys brought up the air pressure issue. I know there must be a post on here about it and just have not looked it up. I am still stuck with the original ragged trails and have been running as recommended on the door. 30 front and 33 rear. Which seems strange as your load while empty is up front with the engine. I pumped them up to 35 all the way around since that is what I have always run on most of my trucks. Considerable ride difference in that it was rougher.
I just put wheels on the truck and would like to go to a taller and wider tire just like he has done here, but that was what was worrying me. The E rated plague at pressures of 60-65. I see you guys have aired down to the 40-45 mark. I am glad to see some have done that and it has helped. 65 psi is like driving on stone wheels.
Thanks for the info regarding this issue. I know now that i can run them at a lower pressure as you guys are doing without damaging anything.
Thanks for bringing this up Qstuff

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I figured that the E rated tires would be rough. I was just hoping that with adding the Ranchos I would be able to lessen the effect of the tires.
I think some nice coilovers or bilsteins would probably help with the rough ride. Its hard to make 65lb E rated tires ride like a lincoln.:cool:

·
Registered
330 Posts
My Toyos E rated with 65psi and no load will take your kidneys out, 45psi and does ride nice. Truck is a truck, what can I say.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
You'll burn out the center of the tread at 65 psi. I run mine between 45-50 psi and they're wearing evenly after 35K miles or so.

It won't ride a caddy with e-rated tires, but they'll be durable and capable of high weight.

-rockstate

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used to work in a tire shop 15 yrs ago and saw alot of tires with the center wore out. 65psi is the MAX tire pressure, not the recomended. You should vary your tire pressure depending on your load. I let air out of my C, D, or E-rated tires until the out side edge (shoulder) of the tread is touching the pavement for even wear when i'm running empty. This normally puts me at 37psi in the rear tires and 40psi in the front because the weight of the engine. When I'm towing or hauling I air up to 50-65psi all around, depending on weight of the load. There's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I reduced the pressure to 45 psi and the truck rides much nicer. Not like a Lincoln but certainly better than it was.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My ride sucked w/ my BFG KO E rated tires at 55 lbs - I've been stepping it down and the ride has been improving - am at 40 lbs now and it feels pretty much like the stock tires / pressure. I may even let out a little more air. When I put a big load in the back I will put some more air in.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I tried from 35psi to 50psi, 40psi seemed to ride the best, at 35psi the side to side stability went down and I got some wierd shimy on the highway on occasion. I will air up when towing, but 95% of my miles are empty.

·
Registered
215 Posts
First off..... It's a TRUCK, not a caddy. Anyway, Need to be putting on Load Range D tires. Can usually find them in the common 285/75R16 size. Then put on a set of Bilstein 5100s all the way round. They have much larger pistons and better valving to handle both the weight of the vehicle and the added weight of larger tires. They are also adjustable. They can be used at stock height, to level the truck, or lift up to 2.5"
Bilstein 5100 Front and Rear Shocks from Wheeler's Off-Road, Inc

1 - 20 of 24 Posts