Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm done with the color matching - no more chrome.:clap: Here's some before and afters.
Next question is badged or debadged? Right now I'm leaning toward badged just because it's a bit different. Still haven't decided what to do about the wheels. So now I have a 2010 Limited grill and chrome surround and chrome front door handles for sale if anyone is interested.

Attachments

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
Looking sharp! Now you need to take that black vinyl off from between the windows. Points sent :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm really liking that look...especially with the blacked out badges. Nice job!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Fantastic job! I love the color matched; I think I may move towards color matched handles, mirror covers, surround and bumpers.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
color matched looks good. personally i am not diggin the black emblems - at all. looks "base" truckish to me...would look thousands better w/o them.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Looks great! Points sent for no chrome. :D

I thought the black badges looked good... but for some reason I also agree with Barney on it being "Base" looking. However, if you get you eventually get black rims then it'll flow together well.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Looks very good!! You need to do the tail gate handle now.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I am definitely for the DE-BADGED look and color matched tailgate handle........

·
Registered
7,461 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
I actually like the blacked out badges, flows well with the black bumper step.
I also think the back up radar sensors can be painted.

Looks so good, it makes me want to paint my bumpers asap lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the comments guys it's appreciated.

It never occurred to me to paint the tailgate handle, I will have to think about that now. As far as painting the sensors in the bumper I'm not so sure. It would be possible to paint the housing but I'm skeptical about painting the sensor itself. I have had a thin layer of frost on there and that screwed them up. I also hadn't considered removing the black from the "B" pillars - didn't know it was just vinyl. Part of round 2 is tinting the front windows to match the rears so having the pillars colored instead of black might break up the flow. A little photoshop is in order. I am definitely split on the badges. Right now the truck is debadged, I just taped them on for the picture. I'm going to leave it for a while and think about it. Or I could put them back only on one side and have the best of both worlds.:D

Round 2 will be installing the Bakflip and running boards which should arrive next week and tinting the front windows. I also really want to do the 2/4 drop but I am concerned about losing any payload/towing capacity because ultimately the truck still has to work. I have 3 different trailers and am frequently pulling one of them which is why I bought it in the first place.

The last round (hopefully) will be wheels. Probably black. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Nobody said it.... maybe I didn't see it in the pictures..... but headlight mod??? I have the white Rock Warrior, so the only chrome was the Toyota emblem, headlights, and 5.7 badges. I blacked out the headlights and Toyota emblem.... still trying to figure out what to do with the 5.7 badge. I am not a fan of chrome on these trucks either...

·
Banned
444 Posts
Actually, That rear bumper is SWEET. Did you Do the paint yourself? and How was stripping those bumpers? I was thinking of doing this, but I did know how that rear bumper would look color-matched.

I would leave the tailgate handle alone, since you got the black cover on the bumper.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
spoon 059,

I have not done the BHLM but I would like to. To be honest the job intimidates me a bit. The idea of baking the whole unit with the motor in it freaks me out and I don't want to do anything that would void my warranty.

Cater,

I did not do the painting myself, I took it to a shop. The bumper was a 4 step process; sand down the chrome, etching primer, some other process I don't remember, an adhesive coating and then several coats of paint. I am pretty handy but I have (finally) learned that I get paid to do my job and other people get paid to do theirs. Often it is more cost effective to pay someone else to do the job than it is to attempt it myself. This was one of those jobs. My truck was at the shop for 3 1/2 days for them to do the grill surround, mirror caps, bumper and badges. It would have taken me weeks to do it and they did a great job where I probably would have screwed it up and it cost me less than a full day of overtime so I think it was a bargain.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
So......... How much $$$$$$ total for everything done so far if you don't mind :)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yea, I have a 2010 and was a little concerned about doing the BHLM myself. I saw Pete5.7's truck at the East Coast Meet and it looked awesome, so I bit the bullet and tried it. Its really easy to do, no damage was done to my motors or anything. Its really easy and worth the time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So......... How much $$$$$$ total for everything done so far if you don't mind :)
About an even grand. That's for a new sport grill, color matched handles and body shop labor. If you have any color other than pyrite it will be less because for what ever reason, you can't buy a color matched pyrite grill surround. You can get any other color so you will save the cost of painting the surround, which in my case was $100. I hope to recoup that cost when I sell my chrome grill. :)

spoon059, you're talking me into it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts