Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i switched over to ROYAL PURPLE 5W30 and by my second tank of gas i got a 2 MPG increase! i'm now getting 18 MPG city and about 21 MPG highway and i have a 3" lift running 285/75/16 tires! it's also ALOT quieter on cold starts and it also runs ALOT smoother! try it guys, you won't be disapointed! i'm planning on getting an amsoil pre-oiler and running it with ROYAL PURPLE. that should take care of the cold start ruccus all together. i've used other oils like amsoil (too $$$) and mobile 1 but i've NEVER gotten the results i've gotten with ROYAL PURPLE. this makes me sound like i'm a dealer but i'm not. not yet anyway :D . i've just found something that really works and i thought i'd share my results. with a good filter you can go 10,000 to 12,000 miles between changes. just change out the filter every 5000 miles and add what you lose. that's what i do now. TRY IT, YOU'LL LIKE IT!! :tu:

·
Supportive Supporter
1,142 Posts
What's a "Pre-Oiler"....something to start the oil flowing b4 the engine spins? Is it a hand type pump or air operated? :ts:

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's a "Pre-Oiler"....something to start the oil flowing b4 the engine spins? Is it a hand type pump or air operated? :ts:
it's a pre-oiler that stores enough pressure & oil from your oil pump to basically prime everything before you start up. you hit the nail on the head. it oils up the top end before you start the engine. when you turn the key on you'll hear a buzz sound for a few seconds and when it shuts off, you start her up. i haven't got mine yet but it's going to be my next purchase. i don't know if it can be used with a remote start though. if not, i'll just have to get rid of my remote starter. i'm shooting for 500,000 on this truck. it's my personal goal. i think i'll hit it with ROYAL PURPLE and amsoil oil filters. the only thing i'd trade her for would be a diesel tacoma or maybe a diesel tundra. i never thought an oil would add extra MPG though. i'm completely sold on ROYAL PURPLE. when i hit 60,000 i'm going to flush everything again and fill everything with it except for the tranny. with all the tranny probs on our tundras i'm going to stick with what toyota says. not to mention i don't think they make a syn tranny fluid for our model tundra. ROYAL PURPLE also has an additive you add to your cooling system that cools your temp by 20% and it prevents rust and corroding. it's called PURPLE ICE. i already have my case of 5w30 and 2 bottles of PURPLE ICE waiting in the garage! it really is GREAT stuff! TRY IT!!

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
The pre-oiler is a good investment but they want alot for one don't they?

Besides, there have been an exuberant number of cars on the road that have gotten some crazy miles on their engines, and without the aid of any aftermarket products.

There is a guy on the net that has documented his mileage with his Toyota pickup and logged over 750,000 miles on the odometer. He did nothing but normal maintenance on the engine and drove like a normal human being. I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Royal Purple Synthetic Oil I beleive may be the best oil in the market. But I wouldn't go as far as saying that it made the engine run smoother. I have always had that same experience after the FIRST OIL change in any new vehicle. It seems that any car maker would put "cheap" oil in their brand new vehicles assuming that the first oild change would be done.

·
Supportive Supporter
1,142 Posts
Thanks for the info! :tu:
I changed all the fluids I could in mine (engine, transfer case, final drives, no tranny fluid available) to synthetics about 10 months ago.....hoping for a milage gain.....I don't think I got any.........but the fluids are clean and fresh! :rolleyes:
I'll haffta check into the Royal Purple....do you order it online?

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info! :tu:
I changed all the fluids I could in mine (engine, transfer case, final drives, no tranny fluid available) to synthetics about 10 months ago.....hoping for a milage gain.....I don't think I got any.........but the fluids are clean and fresh! :rolleyes:
I'll haffta check into the Royal Purple....do you order it online?
i buy mine from a local dealer. i've been a good customer so he gives it to me at cost. i have seen some really good buys on ebay for ROYAL PURPLE ($44.00 a case + free shipping). in fact, the cost is the same as what i pay except the seller has free shipping to the lower 48's. if my guy doesn't have it when i need it, i'll buy a couple of cases off of ebay. like i said, since i switched to ROYAL PURPLE my engine runs ALOT smoother and ALOT quieter! when you use it just make sure you get a good filter. i use the amsoil filters. by my second oil change i started seeing the results BIG TIME! try it, you'll agree it's the BEST!

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The pre-oiler is a good investment but they want alot for one don't they?

Besides, there have been an exuberant number of cars on the road that have gotten some crazy miles on their engines, and without the aid of any aftermarket products.

There is a guy on the net that has documented his mileage with his 22RE Toyota pickup and logged over 750,000 miles on the odometer. He did nothing but normal maintenance on the engine and drove like a normal human being. I'l see if I can find it.
the pre-oiler runs about $400.00. it's expensive but if it cuts out engine wear, even a little, it's a wise investment. i want 500,000 out of my tundra and with the pre-oiler, the ROYAL PURPLE and regular maintence, i think i'll reach my goal and that's with using my truck like a truck should be used, not like a trailor queen!

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a Big Thanks To Shall36 For Turning Me On To The Amsoil Pre-oiler. He Pointed Me In The Right Direction! Thanks Again Brother!

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
the pre-oiler runs about $400.00. it's expensive but if it cuts out engine wear, even a little, it's a wise investment. i want 500,000 out of my tundra and with the pre-oiler, the ROYAL PURPLE and regular maintence, i think i'll reach my goal and that's with using my truck like a truck should be used, not like a trailor queen!
I'll tell ya right now, change your oil on a consistent basis, replace your timing belt every 100K, and I don't see you having a problem getting to your goal.

·
veteran member
1,757 Posts
it's a pre-oiler that stores enough pressure & oil from your oil pump to basically prime everything before you start up. you hit the nail on the head. it oils up the top end before you start the engine. when you turn the key on you'll hear a buzz sound for a few seconds and when it shuts off, you start her up. i haven't got mine yet but it's going to be my next purchase. i don't know if it can be used with a remote start though. if not, i'll just have to get rid of my remote starter. i'm shooting for 500,000 on this truck. it's my personal goal. i think i'll hit it with ROYAL PURPLE and amsoil oil filters. the only thing i'd trade her for would be a diesel tacoma or maybe a diesel tundra. i never thought an oil would add extra MPG though. i'm completely sold on ROYAL PURPLE. when i hit 60,000 i'm going to flush everything again and fill everything with it except for the tranny. with all the tranny probs on our tundras i'm going to stick with what toyota says. not to mention i don't think they make a syn tranny fluid for our model tundra. ROYAL PURPLE also has an additive you add to your cooling system that cools your temp by 20% and it prevents rust and corroding. it's called PURPLE ICE. i already have my case of 5w30 and 2 bottles of PURPLE ICE waiting in the garage! it really is GREAT stuff! TRY IT!!
My question about purple ice additive is will it mix with toyota red coolant?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Mobil 1 are all really good lubes. I think each one has its drawbacks, as does everything. I've heard good and bad about all. But overall, honestly, Mobil 1 is the most consistent and readily available.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What is everyone's opinion on Pennzoil Platinum? Also, has anyone on here had a report done by the blackstone labs on their oil? :ts:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I used Royal Purple one time about 5 yrs ago in my Acura and it burned about a quart in about 1K miles and I had no problems with oil consumption that bad ( nwith valvoline or castrol I burned about 1/4 of a quart every 3K miles) with any other oil after that. So I am skeptical about trying it again unless it has improved since then.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My question about purple ice additive is will it mix with toyota red coolant?
i contacted Royal PURPLE and yes, it can be mixed with toyota red coolant. ROYAL PURPLE said it could be mixed with any type engine coolant. just follow the directions on the bottle for your specific needs. i will never use another oil except for ROYAL PURPLE. my friends and family love this stuff as well, they've all said the same thing, "my engine is running smoother & quieter". now please don't think that you'll see HUGE results after the first change. it will run smoother & quieter but after all that old has been completely flushed out and the ROYAL PURPLE has been worked into the engine, that's when you'll REALLY start seeing results. that's what happened to me. after my 2nd oil change things REALLY started to improve! i know that 1 or 2 MPG isn't much, but with gas prices today, every bit counts.

·
Registered
369 Posts
What is everyone's opinion on Pennzoil Platinum? Also, has anyone on here had a report done by the blackstone labs on their oil? :ts:
At my first oil change, I switched (just a few hundred miles ago) to Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 because of the recommendations here and elsewhere, combined with the great price I found on the 5-quart jugs at WalMart (under $20--at least $1/qt less than other places around my area).

I can't say it's the only factor, but it's certainly the only significant change to attribute my pleasant surprise at the last fillup. It was about the 2nd full-tank fillup since the oil change and I had averaged 16 mpg :) on that tankful. The last check I'd done prior to the oil change, I'd gotten 13.9 mpg :(. The mix of city/highway miles and driving style was no different. Same for tire inflation. Weather patterns and gasoline blends don't change drasticly around here, either.

I'm now keeping a calculator in the console, so I'll be watching to see if it stays higher. The real proof might be to switch back to dino oil at the next change, but I don't plan to test the theory. :p

1 - 20 of 89 Posts