Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wonder if any using Royle purple has seen any improvments in MPG. I have 11,000 miles on my truck and this is the 2 oil change i have done. Both times i used Royle Purple. I check every tank of gas that i run to see what my MPG is. Most of the time i get about 17-18. But since i changed my oil this last time it keeps going up. The last tank of gas a ran i got 19 MPG and this one is at 21 MPG so far. Anyone else having any luck with Royle Purple.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I run Royal Purple 5W30 with a Mobil1 filter on a 10k Mile cycle.

No difference in gas Mileage, but the truck runs so much smoother, and the :devil: tick disappeared..

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm not a fan of the purple stuff and don't know of anyone who is. There are several people around here who will tell you just how bad the stuff is! My mechanic say's it's one of the worse lubes he has seen.
Mobile1 5w30 has a good rep and I have been using it all along in my 01 Tacoma. There is 87,500 miles on it as of yesterday and it runs as smooth as a kitten purring. Never had any problems with the engine. Really don't know if it improves gas milage . Mike

·
Banned
888 Posts
I ran the purple stuff in my LS-1 and wasnt impressed with the diff over M-1
Its good quality no doubt !!! But not "enough" to justify simular performance and price over Mobil 1
Filters ..... " W I X" but that may take some time to get them to supply our Toyo 5.7's
Match the threads and make it longer to increase oil to 6 qts!!
Yeah buddy that would be the **** !!

TnK

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not wanting to steal the OP's thread, but I am due in a 1,000 miles for my 2nd 5,000 mile service.

I do my service through the Toyo dealer and was wondering about M1 or Amsoil. Will the dealer use M1 or Amsoil if I ask them to or will they insist on their standard oil product?

Mileage improvement though, other than the specific product the OP asked about seemed to be the essence of his question. Beyond a better lubricated engine does the mileage improve?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Call your shop manager at your dealer and ask him about using Mobile1 if you supply it. My dealer was happy that I was using the Mobile1 5w30 and they back it fully under there warranty. Mike

·
Registered
246 Posts
I sold my prior vehicle to an industrial lubricant salesman, 20+ years on the job. He claims the purple "marketing" dye is just that. He has been using Mobil1 for years and years. I now use Mobil1. Enough said.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Amsoil is only better because just about everyone who uses it is a "dealer". IMO Its not worth the money.
I'm not a "dealer". Mobil 1 is just about as good, but has increased high temperature evaporation and a decreased TBN over time compared to amsoil. Try it yourself, send in a sample at XX,XXX miles of your stuff and then try amsoil. Send the samples to a completely independent lab, it's only $20 to analyze a sample. Compared to $10,000 for an engine it's cheap insurance. I used to run Royal Purple, just because my dad did, but after finding out how cheap it is to analyze and sending in a sample of two oils, I did a little experimenting. I now change my oil based on the report, not on miles.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I now change my oil based on the report, not on miles.
How often do you have these reports done? How many miles do you usually drive your vehicles before you replace them? Do you really think you gain anything by doing that?
I am really starting to think that some people are going waaayyy overboard with this oil issue. The best long term solution is probably to do exactly what the manufacturer recommends - both for your vehicle and your wallet.

·
Registered
407 Posts
How often do you have these reports done? How many miles do you usually drive your vehicles before you replace them? Do you really think you gain anything by doing that?
I am really starting to think that some people are going waaayyy overboard with this oil issue. The best long term solution is probably to do exactly what the manufacturer recommends - both for your vehicle and your wallet.
Usually 10,000 or better on an oil change. Maybe it's overboard, but that sh!t is expensive. Why throw it away if it's perfectly good? Now that my little experiment is over, I know that I can run amsoil for 12-14,000 no problem, I might wait until 10,000 and then send a sample in. I live in Germany and run wide open on the autobahn everyday on the way to work, and then thrash my truck all weekend and I still want it to last 300,000 before a rebuild. That's why I drive a Toyota, and why I run the best oil I can find. You can continue running walmart oil and change it every 3,000 miles and we'll see who's engine lasts longer. Talk to you in five years-

·
Registered
579 Posts
In 5 years? I'll be at about 70K miles by then. I doubt that the synthetic blend (Castrol) the dealer puts in will have caused any problems by then. I usually keep vehicles for 10 or so years. Never had a problem.
Where in Germany are you? I bet people turn their heads over there seeing a Tacoma (I don't think they sell it there). Also, since you can test it every day ... how fast does your Tacoma go? The price of gas must be killing your wallet, though ...

BTW, my comments were not meant offensive in any way, it was just my opinion. Sorry if I came across the wrong way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts