Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, This is a tricky one but I'm sure you'll have the answer. I have an 07' Tundra. Yesterday I noticed the black rubber molding or gasket? Whatever you want to call it that sits where the antenna is screwed into the truck was damaged. I don't know if it dry rotted and broke apart or maybe the antenna bent and made the gasket break apart. So once I unscrew the antenna there is the actual rubber gasket that sits there. It's supposed to sit nice and flush against the truck body. But mine is all mangled and pushed in now. I opened my hood but you really can't get at it. I have no idea how you would replace that. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guys, This is a tricky one but I'm sure you'll have the answer. I have an 07' Tundra. Yesterday I noticed the black rubber molding or gasket? Whatever you want to call it that sits where the antenna is screwed into the truck was damaged. I don't know if it dry rotted and broke apart or maybe the antenna bent and made the gasket break apart. So once I unscrew the antenna there is the actual rubber gasket that sits there. It's supposed to sit nice and flush against the truck body. But mine is all mangled and pushed in now. I opened my hood but you really can't get at it. I have no idea how you would replace that. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Well, I'm replying to myself or anyone who might have a rubber antenna mount that's dry rotted or broken apart. Maybe I should have done this first. I just searched you tube and it's a very easy fix. It shows you how to cut away the remaining rubber mount and install a new one. And they can be purchased for just a couple dollars. I'm happy about that. I did not like the look of the antenna sitting there without the clean rubber mount that supports it and sits against the truck. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dealer wanted to charge me $250 for the install after I bought it from parts department. I thought, Holy Crap! do they have to remove the fender? Years later when I removed the fender to pound out a dent and repaint, yes, the fender removal can be a pain. However!
You don't need to remove the fender! unscrew the antenna, and remove the old rubber however you can without dropping bits into the fender.
Once all old rubber is cleared out, soak the new rubber piece with Armor All. Shove the new rubber down onto the antena base and into the fender hole. Voila! Done in less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dealer wanted to charge me $250 for the install after I bought it from parts department. I thought, Holy Crap! do they have to remove the fender? Years later when I removed the fender to pound out a dent and repaint, yes, the fender removal can be a pain. However!
You don't need to remove the fender! unscrew the antenna, and remove the old rubber however you can without dropping bits into the fender.
Once all old rubber is cleared out, soak the new rubber piece with Armor All. Shove the new rubber down onto the antena base and into the fender hole. Voila! Done in less than 5 minutes.
P.S. I did this on a 2008 Tundra, very little effective difference. They turned the nice sleek Tundra into a monster for 2008, but the stuff that matters is the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to replace the antenna base last year. Pretty easy to do. There are good videos on YouTube that walk you through the process. Took 20min.. taking my time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had to replace the antenna base last year. Pretty easy to do. There are good videos on YouTube that walk you through the process. Took 20min.. taking my time.
Next time you gotta do something like that, grease up the rubber piece with Armor All. It makes it slippery and easier to work into place. And the Armor All will protect that rubber item for some time preventing it from getting all dry and brittle.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Could be wrong but I have heard Armor All actually promotes cracking in rubber. Not that a single application like that would damage it but dish soap would actually work just as well on that rubber.

Reactions: drivensite

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well,
I have been putting up with my antenna tapping the body for 6 months. Drives me crazy, but had been so busy kept forgetting to see about fixing it.. This thread was the motivation I needed!
Where did you guys get the part?
Thank you.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Dang I paid $28 from my Toyota stealership for the replacement rubber grommet. Where can you find it for a couple bucks as mentioned above?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I'm replying to myself or anyone who might have a rubber antenna mount that's dry rotted or broken apart. Maybe I should have done this first. I just searched you tube and it's a very easy fix. It shows you how to cut away the remaining rubber mount and install a new one. And they can be purchased for just a couple dollars. I'm happy about that. I did not like the look of the antenna sitting there without the clean rubber mount that supports it and sits against the truck. Thanks.
I have the same issue with my 2008 CrewMax. Please share the YouTube link for replacing the antenna gasket. Thx.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sadly That seller on Ebay for so cheap is out.. BUT thank you for the link now I have Part Number: 863920C040
Quick Google search found me several, wall-mart to Amazon.

Rock Auto has it for 21.00

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well,
I have been putting up with my antenna tapping the body for 6 months. Drives me crazy, but had been so busy kept forgetting to see about fixing it.. This thread was the motivation I needed!
Where did you guys get the part?
Thank you.
The part is about $30.00 from the dealer. I could not find it in an aftermarket. Replacing it was pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We old Datsun guys use Vaseline to preserve are dashboard. Armour all not good. Silicon spray seems to work good for rubber moldings and such as well. Helps lube rubber grommets to get into position easy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts