Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I was exiting off the interstate when the new vette keep riding my $$%$%$. After the stop I slowly entered the (no cars around) intersection. Sooo this vette stomped it going around me and I had to do it. Let me tell ya this vette couldn't pull away. I was impressed:tu:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Many years ago I would have done the same thing. About a year ago, in Austin, a couple of people were killed at an intersection by one of two racing vehicles that took off so there was a big manhunt for a few weeks. All of the subsequent talk about vehicular manslaughter turned me off on that kind of thing for good. Plus, you never know what kind of maniac you are racing with and if they might lose control. NO :ts:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am a pretty conservative guy. If this type of scenario was at a intersection with other vehicles/pedestrians around I would agree 110%. But, when I am in an area where there is noone or anything around it is a different ballgame. :ts:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Let me start by saying a few things. Perception is everything. Also that I race my cars on the side (tracks/dragstrips/roadcourses). I have driven stock and modified, Porsche, Vette, Benz, and BMW M3. With that said, you are kidding your self if you think a (1997 and above) vette is not going to pull away from you in a convincing manor. Yes this truck rocks. No doubt. Thats why I'm buying it. But it's a truck! Don't forget that. You are not going to beat or even run with any legitimate sports car unless you slap on supercharger and better suspension. Unless, the person driving is a functional moron or not even racing you. Oh, or maybe the car is a an older POS sports car. Maybe then it may appear as though they are not smoking you so much. And the other guy is right. Generaly, racing on the street is crazy. Doing it in a car that is made for racing is one thing. Doing it in a truck that is high off the ground with a high center of gravity is crazy on a whole other level.

Yes, I will be slapping on all the "REAL" power mods on my truck once thay are available and are proven to make serious performance gains.

·
Registered
154 Posts
So this morning I was exiting off the interstate when the new vette keep riding my $$%$%$. After the stop I slowly entered the (no cars around) intersection. Sooo this vette stomped it going around me and I had to do it. Let me tell ya this vette couldn't pull away. I was impressed:tu:
Ive done it too so I am preaching to the choir us older guys that have been around a bit have seen a thing or two. A few years back I had a mini cooper rising my back side we were on a two lane rode and we were coming around the bend and the idiot decides to pass me. Little did he know that an old man in a small pickup was coming tha other way. It was a miracle that they didn't have a head on collision. Brother let me tell you I was cured from that sort of stuff. Just happy no one got killed. Its just not worth it too many lives a stake Id rather be safe.:ts:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Wow, just wow. If a vette couldn't pull away from you then he obviously wasn't trying, unless it was a 1979 model or something.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I just made a little purchase and someone in a vette would be lucky to hang with me. Its a bigtime sheep in a very big bad wolfs clothing. Most of its time will be spent on track but I will do some light commuting in it.

Check out this....Ariel Atom by Brammo Motorsports, LLC for the Americas - Home

·
Registered
54 Posts
you really think you could keep up with a vette? Maybe a 1976, but definately not anything new, lay off the drugs dude!

That's what I was thinking as well. What
kind of vette are we talking about here?
A 1976 or a Z06? At any rate I think I
will raise the BS flag on this one. I have
know doubt that the new Tundra is fast.....
......but not that fast.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dude....not trying to be mean or anything...but I have a 07 Tundra double cab w/ the big 5.7 liter motor..........and I also have a 2002 Z06 Corvette.

If it was a say....2000 and newer Vete.....he was either playing with you or just driving a little fast and didn't notice you were trying to keep up.

What year model Vette was it?

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thats pretty. But I'm trying to figure out how this fits the thread.:confused:
Just says don't bring a knife to a gun fight. Know that your better than the competition and go with it.

Keep the racing at the track.

·
Registered
961 Posts

Are you sure it wasn't a Colbalt passing you, those little 2.0L's can really move.

·
Registered
961 Posts
That is funny. I dont know the exact year of this vette. With all the responses I would assume that I was being toyed with.

If it was an older vette 97 to 2004 with an auto, The new tundra might hang with it for a few seconds. The new 2005+ 400hp vettes would blow your jap doors off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If it was an older vette 97 to 2004 with an auto, The new tundra might hang with it for a few seconds. The new 2005+ 400hp vettes would blow your jap doors off.
97+ is still an LS1. Auto or no auto...The vette was either playing with this guy or just didnt notice he was trying to keep up.:cool:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I personally have a 1997 sc 400 from lexus and it wouldn't come close to a vete same motor as the 2006 dc tundra's whatever your smoking I want some wake up and smell the rose's and quit dreaming

·
Registered
34 Posts
Jajeh5,

Now if you really wanted to toy with the vettes....I would recommend a Nitrous Oxide system and putting you Tundra in 4x4 high for the launch off the line. :eek:

........Alot of the diesel truck guys that come up to the dragstrip use 4 wheel drive to launch off the line. Although I have heard that some of them have twisted front suspension components doing this.

Nitrous Oxide will make about anything go fast.......for some time....sometimes shorter than others.....kaboom! Just don't let it backfire back up through the intake. :D

·
Registered
932 Posts
What he said:D Very impressive cars. I got the chance to drive the new vette and viper on a slolam course a while back, holy crap those cars are fast.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I didn't believe this story until today I was towing my trailer with my Tundra up a 4% grade, when a yellow '99 vette passed me going uphill towing a 5th wheel ;)
Sorry for being such an SA, but if a Tundra can be a sports car, I guess a Vette can be a truck :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts