Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum! Was wondering if anyone is familiar with installing lighted running boards. I'm purchasing a 02 Sequoia SR5 and the truck was not optioned with them. I would leave them off but I have small kids. Is there any drilling required? Do they come with instructions and hardware? How do you hook up the lights, is the truck prewired? Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Catman,

don't think the sequoia is prewired for lighted running boards. last i heard, they're not OEM. it can be done, but you'd have to splice into one of stock wires. also, i'm pretty sure that you'd have to do some drilling for the boards. there are a few brackets that hold the whole thing in place.

Chris

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Someone has them

There is a member who has lighted running boards but don't remember who :confused: I'll keep looking.....

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Boone...Sanchez has them on his sequoia. i believe that they are still a PIO. most SETs will install them because the TRD sequoias come w/ lighted running boards.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer install

The dealer wants $875 installed. Wasn't sure if that was fair. If it was easy to do myself I would give it a shot. I might have them do it just to save myself the aggravation. Thanks.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Lighted running boards

Catman,

My lighted running boards were a port installed option (Gulf States Toyota).
When I had my Sequoia order/built this was a feature I chose to get, the Lighted C/K Running Boards only added about $600.00 to my total.

Is the dealer quote $875.00 for NEW Lighted R/B or just the LIGHTS for them?

I have looked underneath and behind the R/B to see how it is connected and the wires are well wrapped and slip into the underbody of the Seq. I can not tell what they are spliced into.

All I know is that they turn on when
I Unlock my doors- via remote
Open any door
AND
They shut of immediatley after all doors are closed...
Might give you a clue to which wire they are spliced into

Check-out "website" button for a picture of the Lighted R/Bs

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
dang, sanchez!! sharing is caring! didn't know you had a website w/ pix! :p nice ride bro! :tu:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thanks

Simias said:
dang, sanchez!! sharing is caring! didn't know you had a website w/ pix! :p nice ride bro! :tu:
Thanks-
Sharing is caring....... (I am still laughing- this is funny!:D )
I have had the pix online for a while, just never really had a chance to tell someone to "go see them".

If I could get my dang camera to work I would update the pictures.
I'll try this weekend.
Keep you all posted.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Lighted running boards

Sanchez said:
Catman,

My lighted running boards were a port installed option (Gulf States Toyota).
When I had my Sequoia order/built this was a feature I chose to get, the Lighted C/K Running Boards only added about $600.00 to my total.

Is the dealer quote $875.00 for NEW Lighted R/B or just the LIGHTS for them?

I have looked underneath and behind the R/B to see how it is connected and the wires are well wrapped and slip into the underbody of the Seq. I can not tell what they are spliced into.

All I know is that they turn on when
I Unlock my doors- via remote
Open any door
AND

$They shut of immediatley after all doors are closed...
Might give you a clue to which wire they are spliced into

Check-out "website" button for a picture of the Lighted R/Bs
875 was for the complete boards and installation.

I can get the boards for $500 over the web so I think $375 labor is steep. I'm not familiar with Toyota, but Nissan accessories always come with instructions. I'm fairly handy so I don't think I'll have a problem putting them on myself. Also, I would imagine that the wires are spliced into the dome/door lights since they would come on at the same time? Thanks.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put on the new boards

I installed the lighted running boards tonight. Very easy. Tommorrow I'm going to wire them up. Got to take the front seats out to route the wiring.

I'm curious. The lighted running boards are available from Toyota but are obviously made by the aftermarket. That being said, they are very nice quality. Why is it that the factory running boards are not readily available on-line? And, is there much difference between the lighted and factory boards?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Install

I could take pics but I'm not sure how to post them. As far as the wiring is concerned, the instructions explain which wires to tap into. There are two t-taps supplied so all you have to do is find the wires, clamp on the t-taps and then plug in the power and ground from the harness. The whole install was very easy but requires some time cause you have to take out the seats and center console in order to route the harness.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts