Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i wanted to tell you what happens when i took out my unichip.:td:
i huge loss of HP & TORQUE. :td:
i know what your going to say, how do you know.
well i can tell you my shifting is lacking, not krisp shift points, lower rpm shifting, i can not spin my tire, i can feel the loss of power when i punch it.

i'm going to check the HP by using my scanguage i know what it gives me, when i had the UNICHIP in, i will try to see how much of a loss i am getting.
of couse it will be engine HP not rwhp.
i'm not doing a dyno.
i have alot to do tommorrow, so it most likely will not be tommorrow.
but whenever i can.

i will have it reinstalled within a week or so.

also i want to see what my mpg will i get without the unichip.
even when i get on it. but i will not be doing it alot. 3x max
to see what HP i get.
i'll let you all know the results asap,:amen:
regards,
gorilla

·
Registered
113 Posts
Interested in seeing the difference

·
Registered
54 Posts
hi, i wanted to tell you what happens when i took out my unichip.:td:
i huge loss of HP & TORQUE. :td:
i know what your going to say, how do you know.
well i can tell you my shifting is lacking, not krisp shift points, lower rpm shifting, i can not spin my tire, i can feel the loss of power when i punch it.

i'm going to check the HP by using my scanguage i know what it gives me, when i had the UNICHIP in, i will try to see how much of a loss i am getting.
of couse it will be engine HP not rwhp.
i'm not doing a dyno.
i have alot to do tommorrow, so it most likely will not be tommorrow.
but whenever i can.

i will have it reinstalled within a week or so.

also i want to see what my mpg will i get without the unichip.
even when i get on it. but i will not be doing it alot. 3x max
to see what HP i get.
i'll let you all know the results asap,:amen:
regards,
gorilla
Does the Unichip require you to always use premium or does it compensate when you run regular unleaded? Not that it makes any difference in this case. Just wondering.

·
Registered
374 Posts
premium on mine

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi, on map A i can run 87octane, on mapB i can run 91 & up.
the difference between map A & map B is about 6HP.maybe a little more or a little less.
every dyno run is different.
thats why if you dyno, you do several runs.
when you tune, so you know which way to go when tuning, to know if it's better or not.
i have both my maps custom tuned.
gorilla

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Always good to see these experiments, but you can't spin the tires? :confuseda:
I've got no real mods as far as the motor, and I can spin my 33s all day, no VVT-T either. My tires bark on accident pretty often, I guess it could be unintentional acceleration! :heh:

·
Registered
232 Posts
well then what the hell is wrong with my 2006 4.7 v8? i can't get a chirp out of them and they're not big tires. maybe heavier tires make more squeek? dunno.

gorilla-are you the one that got the fitch fuel catalyst? if not, i know you have the scangauge...do you have the xgauge version? did it tell you your loss in HP accurately?

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
well then what the hell is wrong with my 2006 4.7 v8? i can't get a chirp out of them and they're not big tires. maybe heavier tires make more squeek? dunno.
Hard rubber (aka higher thread wear) and AT or off road thread pattern tires are easier to spin intentionally or not because there is less grip in the beginning. Softer compound tires grip to the road like mofo :D This is especially can be felt on the bike - skidding when braking/cornering and wheel spin when accelerating.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hello, exactly what vincas say's is fact.
if you have V,Y,Z rated tires. you need alot to spin them.
i have 295/45 20's.
plus solid 1 peice rims which all together is alot of weight.
the idea is not to spin, that why i bought them.
grip is important, plus speed rating.
in the rain i can take turn's, that many other tires would end up spinning or sliding you out.
my tires are super wide, and have A rating's.
where many have off road, A/T, mud tire type, are alot easyier.
especially i seen tundra's with thin tires. that is why it is easy.
like the above said hard tires compared to soft ,is a whole different ball game.
also the ground if it's cold, again alot easyier, than 80 to 90 or 100degree weather.
the ashfault is soft which helps with grip. alot of factors to consider.
so by adding my custom tuned unichip & adding alot of rwhp & rwtorque allows me to spin the tire.
i did real well with the hankook tires.
they lasted 3 & 1/2 years, compared to my bfgoodrich g-force radial T/A's- 1 & 1/2 years.
and
approx 1/3 the price.
and the hankook ventus ST has 6ply X 2ply.
i swear by these tires.
i just ordered another set.
thankyou my friend! ;-)you know who you are! your awesome.
what a real brother member should be like.
thankyou thankyou thankyou...
regards,
gorilla

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Yep. Its really simple - get soft tires for superior traction in most conditions (especially wet) at a price of short tire life, or get hard rubber (high thread wear) that gonna last 50K miles but will suck in wet conditions. If you live where its hot and no rain + lead foot get high thread wear (hard rubber) tires. If drive a lot in wet conditions and are concerned about safety first get softer more grippy tires for best handling.
L
ast weak i had scary moment when the back kicked out like like mofo on the exit off the highway. I was going regular speed but because it was raining+pothole on the curve i got going sideways. Next set of tires will be soft ones as i drive low miles per year.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Last weak i had scary moment when the back kicked out like like mofo on the exit off the highway. I was going regular speed but because it was raining+pothole on the curve i got going sideways. Next set of tires will be soft ones as i drive low miles per year.
I live for moments like these!:D
That makes sense, I never really thought of the tire compound. Mine are pretty hard, I don't know how many miles they are supposed to last, but even with my lazy rotation schedule and hard driving habits they show very little wear at 30k. I have to say though, could be just the bigger foot print but the tires that came with my truck spun much easier. They were Bridgestone duelers, I guess they were AT tires too but the tread wasn't very aggressive. THOSE tires were absolutely horrifying in the rain. My Yokos are way better in wet conditions, where I live we only have wet roads for a month at the most, sometimes less.
Points sent Vincas, I tried to get you too GORILLA but it wouldn't let me. Rain check.:tu:

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi thankyou,it's o.k.
i just hope our members & other's how come here can view this, & hopefully learn.
thats what is important.
due to i belive several factors
my driving skill's, hellwig front & rear anti sway bars, & my hankook ventus st tires.
1 day while on the highway on a sunny day. i was moving, and under the overpass was pitch black dark.
as i was almost on top of it. i saw a 5 gallon pail. so i swerved hard than back, i was able to control the tundra with ease.
i know someone thought it would be funny to leave it there. well i passed it for the next week. i couldn't help but to look at the pail's. sadly there were a few of them. all smashed flat, paint all over the place. so i assume they were full. what a funny joke.
not funny at all. imagine the people who hit them. and what these pails did to there car's, trucks, etc. god also has a funny sense of humor, pay back is a bit$h.
but i know if i had maybe a lift, and A/T tires, or many other set up's, i would have flipped my tundra, no doubt.
that is because of how quick this came up on me. so i had 2 choises either swerve, or hit it. i picked swerve.
as many of us i think would have.
anyway, i'll stick to my v-rated tires that saved my life & tundra.
how can i not buy my hankook's: 3 1/2 years of service, got rid of the 20" tracking, rutting, side to side shake, that some of us had with especially double cabs with 20" rims. & a awesome v rated tire that held the road & saved my life.
also till this day even though i will be getting new 1's next week. still even worn down to the mark of replacement on some tires. due to my burning out, taking curves extremely hard, best ever .91g's. road racing course's. i could get another few months, but why risk it. again thanks to a awesome member that , was able to get me another set.
regards,
gorilla

·
Registered
739 Posts
gorilla waiting for the results. btw i changed tires after running into diesel fuel on the freeway lost complete control crossed over 4 lanes into the center divider, my oem tires sucked jmo. since then i got her some new shoes, now running goodyear fortera better ride and gas mileage and i like the tire pattern :becky: thx again for your knowledge and advise

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I have Goodyear Fortera but not the Triple thread. Just some i'll check later for exact model. I can spin them any time, and around the corners i can get inside wheel spin even without much throttle. I need Hellwig as my when my back kicked out i wasn't expecting and it was kinda hard to get it going straight. I love it when i do it on purpose but sucked as i was tired at the time and not in a mood for sideways action :) My tires are 720 thread wear which is f***in hard rubber. I want soft ones as i drive low miles and get ****** weather in fall. I have Winter tires as well - got to keep my foot off the gas with those or will chew up in a month :(

Soft + street friendly compound for safety and comfort. The rest of them depends of what you do with the truck. You dont want those street liek tires on the trail and vice versa. I laugh of those JEEP owners whoe got those 37+ offroad tires on on them, make horrible noise, lack of traction, difficult steering and never go offroad. Spend money on better tires, not Ebay superchips :)

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Man, sorry GORILLA, we jacked your thread! What's the news without the chip? I'm interested to hear how much of a difference it made.

I too laugh at the guys with ridiculous tires, especially the F350's with +12" lifts and giant chrome rims. Maybe it's just me, but big chrome rims just don't go with big mud tires. I like having AT tires, since I do go into the dirt for therapy sessions when I'm in the mood. Lots of dirt trails and hills to play on where I live, sometimes I'm out there on my lunch break, wearing my fancy dress clothes and shoes. Helps me clear my head. That's the cool thing about trucks, you can easily change them to suit what you use them for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts