Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why does the speed rating matter? Terra Grapplers are also Q rated. I know that these are not going to be as good of quality as BFG's but I don't really plan on driving anywhere close to 99 mph.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,536 Posts
Why does the speed rating matter? Terra Grapplers are also Q rated. I know that these are not going to be as good of quality as BFG's but I don't really plan on driving anywhere close to 99 mph.
OK. Then be the first here to buy a set. Let us know how it goes, and how many miles you get out of them. :sleep:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You didn't answer my question. Why would the speed rating matter when you are buying tires for a 4wd truck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Why does speed rating matter?
I did some reading online and found that in many countries you are required by law to have tires installed on your vehicle that exceed the top speed it is capable of. Some places stated insurance may be invalidated if the speed rating of the tires is not high enough. I don't think that is the case in North America but it seems to be in Europe at least. I believe our trucks are limited to about 100mph(160kmh) and an "S" rated tire is installed from the factory.
Here is an excerpt regarding this.
The government wants us to be safe, so they're making sure that if you're going 125 mph you have the right tires on your car. Through actual testing of the tire, they rate each one according to how fast you can safely travel on a set of them. It's pretty straightforward when you check the chart. Each letter represents a maximum speed. Chances are your tires will be rated for much higher speeds than you'll ever go, but it's still a useful number. The faster a tire can go, the softer the rubber compound they use to make it (softer rubber grips dry pavement better), so the tire will wear out faster than a "slower" rated tire.
Speed Ratings Q- Up to 100mph R- Up to 106mph S- Up to 112mph T- Up to 118mph U- Up to 124mph H- Up to 130mph
V- Up to 149mph W- Up to 168mph Y- Up to 186mph Z- 149mph and over
http://autorepair.about.com/od/regularmaintenance/a/tires_speed_rat.htm

Now we all know.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,536 Posts
You didn't answer my question. Why would the speed rating matter when you are buying tires for a 4wd truck.
Since you seem keen on an answer, the point was that they are a no-name mud tire. They'll be $hyte for any highway driving. (Personally, I think it is highly inappropriate and unsafe for any street pickup to be doing over 75-80mph on a public highway anyway.) If you live in a mudhole miles from pavement, then they're probably going to be fine for you.

You were the one who posted up a request for opinions on the quality of a tire no one seems to know anything about (so far). There are more threads here than you can count on the poor experiences members have had with no-name/off-brand tires.

Like I said, you get what you pay for with tires. It's your $$$.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info Bvoelker. So according to the exerpt, in theory a Q rated tire should outlast a R or S rated tire? That is interesting, I know that the speed rating is important in sport cars but I never really thought about it for trucks.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have these tires. They work really well in mud and deep snow, but the tread is very soft. They wear evenly, but quick. The only reason I bought them was because they were $400 for all four, but I should have spent the extra money and bought a quality MT that was made in the US not China. These tires would be great for the smaller lighter Toyota 4x4's, Jeep, or the weekend wheeler, but for our heavy trucks and daily driving, they suck!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Thanks for the info Derek. About how many miles do you have on them?
My first pair went for about a 2 years, which is about 15,000 miles for me. But having this automatic locker does not help with tread life, maybe without it you could get 20K miles, maybe 25K:( I probly have 8K on my pair right now and they are wearing. I don't know why I bought these again, stupid is as stupid does!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
HAHAHA! That sucks DEREK! I learned to stay away from tires that are to cheap to be true. When I was at rescue rooter, I kept bugging the in house mechanic to put some knobby tires on my work van(the M.A.D.ness has no boundaries!) and finally he did. I loved how mean my work van looked and sounded where ever I went. Kitting the dirt roads in the work van had never been funner..... until....
One night coming back from a long day, I was on the freeway and noticed my steering wheel slowly tugging to the right, I was at about 70 and before I could really figure if it was uneven road or something bigger my van dropped to the rim and I saw 6' of tire tread fly off the right side of my van! Being in the fast lane meant this was not good! I got over safely and had to be towed back to the shop. The tires had maybe 5k miles and were rated for my van. Needless to say, those were the last ones the shop ever got.

I believe with a lighter vehicle it could be less risky, but the truth is lives are at stake on the highway and it simply isn't worth going cheap on some things.
RELOAD, you could check out some tires like mine, Yokohama Geaolandar AT-S, they are just a bit more $ than what you are looking at but better rated. I love mine, have at least 30k miles on and they don't really show it. I expect to get another 2ok out of them. They also have a mud tire if that's what you are into.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help guys! I decided to heed your warnings and put a little bit more money up and go with the general graber at2's. From what I have gathered online they seem to be a pretty good tire for the money.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Scary story Tundrunk, you never know how tires are made being pushed out of some shop in China! I should probly get rid of these things before I move down to Arizona. I'm having a hell of a time trying to get these tires to balance right too, and 700 miles of I-5 driving probly will not be safe either. Going on cragslist right now!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Look at the Cooper Zeon LTZ's.... made in the good ole US and A

1 - 16 of 16 Posts