Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've done some superficial reading and this appears to be an issue with rust in the radiator?

Will someone enlighten me? What is it exactly, how bad is it exactly, and what's the fix for this?

Will a simple radiator flush solve the problem?

I haven't noticed anything unusual in how it drives and the truck isn't overheating or anything, and I'm not aware of any leaks.

thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited
206 Posts
What's the history is it yours? When was the water pump changed last? What coolant are you using? If plain water has been used it can cause things to rust. Flush the system and put the proper coolant in it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the history is it yours? When was the water pump changed last? What coolant are you using? If plain water has been used it can cause things to rust. Flush the system and put the proper coolant in it
My truck, bought new, 2004, 450,000 miles, don't remember, don't know, and since I made the original post, I've spoken to a friend and have a better handle on what's going on. It was low on coolant, pretty rusty, and have an appt tomorow to get a pressure test. And I'll go from there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've done some superficial reading and this appears to be an issue with rust in the radiator?

Will someone enlighten me? What is it exactly, how bad is it exactly, and what's the fix for this?

Will a simple radiator flush solve the problem?

I haven't noticed anything unusual in how it drives and the truck isn't overheating or anything, and I'm not aware of any leaks.

thanks!
What he said! Perform or have performed a coolant system service. Flush, fill, pull a vacuum, and top off. But before you do, check all the block freeze plugs for signs of leakage and rust through. Then check your radiator and heater core hoses for signs of cracking. Some wire reinforced hoses will rust internally if cracking to the wire from the inside. An old cooling system where only water was added ought to have its consumable components (hoses clamps, thermostat, thermostat housing gasket, temp sensor, and coolant) replaced in my opinion. Not doing so, regardless of financial pain at the moment, is an invitation to disaster. One might even have to R&R the water pump if the mechanical seal faces' have been compromised as indicated by leak through signs. Hopefully not. Don't mess with it, just get 'er done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, turned out there was a hole in the radiator, so I ended up replacing it. And the thermostat, too.

Thanks for the insight; it definitely helped.

·
Registered
10,300 Posts
You did yourself a favor here. Good Goin' !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts