Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my truck used, it spent the first two years at the beach. I've noticed light to moderate surface rust inside the truck. Behind the dash, under the seats, anyone else notice this on their rigs.

·
Registered
859 Posts
No sir. My guess though is that the interior got wet, either through the vehicle getting partially submerged (past the door sills) or just from wet crap being left in the vehicle. More likely the former, seeing as the salt water may not help matters.

Could just be that it was driven on the sand, got bogged down and water got in.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
if it spent its first two years at the beach, and if it was all the time, the windows were likely down etc and that salt air and moisture will rust things in a hurry. just look at light fixtures etc on buildings at the beach. the issue is buying one u knew had been at the beach for two years....but if its just surface rust maybe it wont hurt anything. also if they were into surfing or getting wet all the time, the likely hood of them getting in and out while wet or having wet towels etc laying around inside will increase the chances of moisture staying inside long enough to rust things..

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've pulled sills and panels to check to see if the truck had been sumerged. It has not and the carfax is clean. It does surprise me that coastal fog can rust the inside of the truck if the windows were left down.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
agree with barney... the worst cars for rust are beach cars... they dont just get rust underneath,, it comes from EVERYWHERE!! its nasty!! I think its hilarious when I go to Daytona beach and see the dummies go into the water a bit when the cops aren't around,, they have NO idea how corrosive that water is...

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
if you dont have an odor, it prob wasnt submerged.. most ive that have sunk seem to smell like a dead river, or musty basement like smell...

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
yes it sucks too....look at homes and things around beach/coastal areas...whatever isnt plastic is rusted...and thats not from water flooding up that high, its the constant exposure to salt air. the underneath side of the dash and areas you describe arent protected like the exterior or undercarriage as well so they will surface rust easily...sorry...

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fragman has it wrong, you should only wash your truck with the tears of angels to avoid waterspots, lol...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts