Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have rust on the liftgate. It's on the left side and next to the chrome piece that houses the latch and the key lock.

Noticed it about a month ago. There is a small amount of paint bubbling and a rust stain down the paint. Looks to me as if the piece has rubed against the paint in that area and is thru the primer to the bare metal. I took delivery on 30 June 2006.

Immediately drove to my dealer. The service writer seemed unconcerned and did not write it up as I asked. Since they have no paint shop they sent me to a Ford dealership which they also own. There they took a photo and my VIN # and said they would get back to me after contacting Toyota.

I haven't heard anything yet. Guess I'll go back to my Toyota dealership and try to get them to write this up on a work sheet.

I have 27 months left on my 3 year lease. Just wondering how bad this will get if it's not fixed and what will be the consequences when I turn it in.

This is our 6th 4-Runner and we have a 98 that is rust free.

Like everything else about the vehicle but the rust has me concerned. This vehicle will definitely NOT be a keeper.

Have any other Toyota owners experienced a similar problem with rust and how did they fix it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Wow thats pretty bad considering how new your vehicle is. Don't worry though, the rust/corrosion part of the warranty goes beyond 3 years/ 36k miles (I think it's either 5 or 7 years). I'd just take it to a different dealer altogether. The dealer you're with now obviously doesn't seem to want to help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, it's just a small rust spot now but it'll keep growing. The dealer service writer acted as if I was "nit-pickin'". I'm going to let it grow some and then try another dealer. Can't believe my Toyota dealer has no body shop and they would send me to a Ford dealer. You can imagine how interested they were.

I left a voicemail with my salesman but he never retiurned my call.

Toyota happened to call here the other day to see if I was satisfied with my 06 4-Runner and they left an 800 number but I accidentally deleted it. Wish I had that number.

Glad this is a lease vehicle. Even if it's never repaired it'll be gone in June 2009 !

Other than that I like my 4-Runners. This is #5 (Had 2 Tacos, a Tundra and 2 Toyota cars also. )

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the dealer has fixed this twice now. Just had it done again last week. The first fix only lasted 6 months and the rust was back. I'll let you know how long this one lasts.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Maybe this will help:

If you have additional questions or comments, please call the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 800-331-4331 between 5:00 am and 6:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday or 7:00 am to 4:00 pm PT, Saturday. You may also contact us through email by clicking on the following link:
Email Toyota

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Technical Service
BULLETIN
September 12, 2007
Title:
RUST ON BACK DOOR GARNISH
Models:
’06 – ’07 4Runner
BO010-07
Introduction Some 2006 – 2007 model year 4Runner vehicles may develop rust around the back door
garnish. Follow the repair procedures described below to address this concern.

Applicable . 2006 – 2007 model year 4Runner vehicles produced BEFORE the Production
Vehicles Change Effective VINs shown below.

Production
Change
Information

PLANT OPTION VDS PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN
w/ow/o ZU1#R JTEZU1#R270096214
TaharaTahara
Back Monitor BU1#R JTEBU1#R170125414
w/Back Monitor
ZU1#R JTEZU1#R270096242
w/Back Monitor
BU1#R JTEBU1#R670125117
ZU1#R JTEZU1#RX78085897
w/ow/o BU1#R JTEBU1#RX78100593
Back Monitor ZT1#R JTEZT1#R578012029
HinoHino
BT1#R JTEBT1#R778041795
w/Back Monitor w/Back Monitor
ZU1#R JTEZU1#R578087259
BU1#R JTEBU1#R578102361
ZT1#R JTEZT1#R278012098
BT1#R JTEBT1#R278042168

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had it repaired twice. I comes back in a few months. Probably just let it go unless it really gets to looking bad. I have until June 2009 on this lease. I will definitely turn it in.

All my friends notice the spot and make nasty comments about rust on so new a vehicle. What can I say.

My 98 has no rust on it that I am aware of. The quality of the 06 is definitely not what I expect from Toyota. I have had 4_Runners since purchasing a 1985 in October 1984. This is the fifth one plus 2 Tacomas and a Tundra in there too. Also had a Celica and a Corrolla.

I may look at other Asian imports when I am ready to lease in 2009. Toyota still makes a great vehicle but so do the other asian manufactures.
This 06 may have soured my opinion. Also my Dealer has no interest in helping me. Last oil change they overfilled my crankcase. Never rechecked it. Just gave me 1 quart off my next oil change. I'm driving with the c-case overfilled. Not about to get out there and try to drain one quart. It'll be due for a change in June and then I'll complain some more but what good will that do. They'll forget about me as soon as I am out of there. Dealing with some underpaid service writer that probably has never wrenched in his 20 years on this planet.

That's enough for today.

Thunderhead

1 - 9 of 9 Posts