Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an '02 tundra. i was working on the truck this weekend and noticed some bubbles in my line-x bedliner. mind you, i have had my line-x for a few years. i took it in and they were curious too, so we cut one of the bubbles open and water came out. we then crawled underneath and there seems to be a rust spot at the spot weld, near where the bubble is. line-x said thay will fix the bubbles, but i am wondering if anyone has encountered their bed rusting in this manner. is there anything the dealer will do, or do i just suck it up and deal? also, if the water got in, how come it didnt come out when pushing on the bubble? any insight will be appreciated.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Interesting. I have a 2000, and have these same rust bubbles, and I have a drop in liner that I thought caused it. So, they're coming in from below? Hmmm.... how do you fix that? These bubbles are approximately right between the wheel wells. I have about 6 of these bubbles.

-Garth

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, the bubbles are not the paint, but the line-x liner. i would think on mine, they almost have to be coming from the bottom up with my truck having the spray in liner. as far as fixing it i dont know. i am going to go talk to some dealers and see what they say. if that doesnt work, guess i will spend a day or 2 underneath with rust inhibitor and undercoating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2000 Tundra 4x4 sr5 access cab, owned since new 80k always had cap on and rubber bed mat. Cleaned under mat yesterday and to my surprise the same rust bubbles you talked about are there. My truck is a garage queen with less than 20k in the last 5 years. Not a spot of rust except for bolt heads on the underside of the truck. There are bed supports that stretch across the frame between the wheel wells with plates welded to them, and the plates are spot welded to the bed. Moisture is trapped between the plates and the bed causing the rust to form from. this plate is not welded all around it and creates a little area for the moisture to sit creating the large rust bubbles we are now seeing. I'm sure we're stuck with this problem. Looks like a not so easy fix. I'm pissed, I have religously washed, and maintained this truck since new, still get comments on how great it looks. Just can't show em whats under the covers I guess.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a bummer. and that is exactly where these bubbles seem to be; on the cross members. i mean, i wash my truck once a week, even in winter. i even get the "under body flush" and still the all to known toyota rust monster prevails. oh well, guess we just deal. like i said, i am just gonna pull the bed, and paint the whole thing with a "rust converter" and maybe put some undercoating over, then have my line-x fixed and call it a day

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just found the same rust bubbles under my Rhino lining today. I'm going to heat it up and peel back the worst one tomorrow at work. Like to hear some more replies about this problem. Kinda surprised the bottom of the bed is not coated by the factory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I brought the truck to the local dealer and had the customer service rep look it over. He took a bunch of pictures and said he'd get back to me. That was thusday the 3rd of May. I also pointed out to him that there are other places underneath with the same mounting plates that are cualked around the edges and no rust is forming around those areas. Keep you posted on what transpires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have '04 d-cab, with exactly the same problem. Spray on lining was applied day 1.
Very interested in hearing what your dealer has to say.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
okay guys you want rust well here you go. more pictures will be posted tomorrow on my photo album. This is why I hate Toyota with passion.The big 3 during this time were no different.
Tundra Solutions Forum - Tundraman10's Album: Tundraman10's Album - Picture

The truck came with a drop in liner. That caused most of the rust. When i wrecked the truck in Oct 07 I had the truck sprayed something similar to Line X and Rhine Liner. Also the bed was patched underneath. They cut the rusted sections out and it started to rust about 2 months later. It was only about 1/16in thick. I can very easily pick it off with my nails. I should have taken it to Line X in the first place and spend $525. But I think the truck bed is too far gone to fix. A new truck bed from Toyota was $3,500.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have the same issues in my bed. I have cut out about 9 squares and am going to weld new pieces in. All the patches are on the cross members. F you toyota

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
The new pictures of the tundra underneath are posted in my album. Look at the patch work. around the bed.

·
AKA blackmbj
718 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Anybody get the dealer to do anything about this bed rust problem?
I pull my bed line out once a year to clean under it. I didn't get to do it this year till late, about a month ago. I was surprised to find two rust spots come through the bed. Now keep in mine my truck had a cap since shortly after it was new. Since I've had it its had a cover on the bed. The paint looks new under the bed liner.
This rust is by all means coming from under the bed.
I would love to know it Toyota has helped with this issue.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same issues on my 2000 with 135,000 miles. Noticed the bumps in my Rhino liner over a year ago, thought damage occured when loading landscape rock from the Bobcat bucket. Thinking that the Rhino liner was damaged I stopped by the Rhino dealer and that's when we figured out the rusting from the underside issue. Haven't brought issue up to the dealer yet but will on next visit. It's suprising when looking at the underside of the bed you see no rust.

If anyone gets a response to the issue post it up.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
As mentioned earlier in this thread this rust is propagating from under the bed. Between the bed mounts and the bed floor. Since my bed has no coating inside, you can see this very well. I can see how this could look like a problem with the bed coating, but it is being raised by the rust in the bed floor.
This should not be happening, this is a sealing issue around these mounts welded to the floor.
I haven't looked it up yet, but does anyone know what is Toyota's rust through warranty is.
I'm a bit upset about this because rust was a big concern for me when I bought a Toyota. Now my worse fears are happening and in area that should not be rusting.:heh:
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
The warrenty is 7 years 100,000 miles.
I already had my bed patched at 115,000miles. I bought some POR 15 semi gloss black. that is used to slow down the rust. You just simply paint it over top of the rust. Put 2 coats on. This tuff is like a tar substance and its very durable. More durable than my junk spray liner from my body shop. This stuff costs $35 a quart. yes that right $35 a quart. This stuff will go a long way. You can use it underneath on the frame like I did and on top of the spray in bed liner where rust is coming through. I do not have any pictures of it to show you guys. You can get POR 15 at sherwin William, or call the company to find the nearest POR 15 dealer near you. Its expensive but worth it.
This is one of the main reasons why I sometimes hate my toyota. Toyota did not stand behind the rust on the older model tundras. Well in my point of view. They would not even repaint the truck at 20,000 when there was paint chips all over the truck. Poor clear coat and paint. If that frame recall affected the tundra's too Your dam right I would trade this puppy in for a newer model tundra.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
I do restoration as a hobby and I use POR 15 often on 25- 30 year old Chevrolets. But this trucks only 7 years old this amount of rust is unacceptable. I would have expected Toyota to do better since they had such and issue with their small truck beds.
Guess I'll need to start pushing some buttons and see what happens.
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I've been pressure washing the under carriage every 1-2 months just to get the extra dirt up in there. Salt just kills our vehicles in eastern ohio and western PA. Nothing really can be done to elminate rust except to put the truck in the garage for the winter or possibly never drive it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Have the same problem on my 2000. Clean it and wash it on a regular basis. Took it in to the dealer they looked at it and gave me the Toyota customer service number, talked to them and they took my info now I am setting up and appt. with a toyota rep. Don't expect Toyota to do anything, but with all the problems Toyota has had in the past with rust on the Tundras and tacomas maybe I'll get lucky, I'll update after the rep looks at my truck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well the Rep looked at my truck and said that nothing can be done because it is out of warranty. So my next questions for you guys is what to do? Is the POR-15 the best option, if so do you just paint it on every couple months or do you have to do any sanding. Also I herculined my bed and it is bubbling up through the liner, what is good way to go about tackling this? Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts