Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front skid plate has rust through. I was wondering if anyone else has a rotted plate also.

I am going to get a new one and was looking at this one but I am not sure it covers everything like the original.

Maybe some one could shine some light on it for me before I call and talk to someone that doesn't understand what I am looking for.

ToyotaPartsPeople.com - Genuine Toyota Parts and Toyota Accessories

It looks to me like it stops just under the front bumper.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Its for looks. Does not actually serve a purpose.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Please post a picture of your rusted through skid plate so we can be clear as to what your looking for.

<TUNDRA>

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i gave mine away to a member, when i switched to the westin bull bar.
i honestly thought it was stainless steal.
i remember how tight thoughs bolts were.
i cracked a craftsman socket, & broke the craftsman adjustable wrench.
i had to switch to snap-on 2' adj. wrench& socket.
when it broke i cut my hands.
imagine the swearing i did that day.
so i could imagine after many years on, how hard it would be to remove.
also i seen new 1's on ebay for 114, they were OEM to.
gorilla

·
7,925 Posts
My front skid plate has rust through. I was wondering if anyone else has a rotted plate also.

I am going to get a new one and was looking at this one but I am not sure it covers everything like the original.

Maybe some one could shine some light on it for me before I call and talk to someone that doesn't understand what I am looking for.

ToyotaPartsPeople.com - Genuine Toyota Parts and Toyota Accessories

It looks to me like it stops just under the front bumper.
That is actually the brush guard and is strictly for looks. I got rid of mine the first week I had my truck.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please post a picture of your rusted through skid plate so we can be clear as to what your looking for.

<TUNDRA>
I will as soon as I get home, then I will post the pictures sometime tonight

Gorilla,
Always use Snap On Tools, They tend to stand up to all duties required of them.
and I will check ebay

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Mine didn't start rusting all over until they just began to lay the salt brine solution (calcium chloride) on the roads here in Massachusetts in the last couple of years.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine didn't start rusting all over until they just began to lay the salt brine solution (calcium chloride) on the roads here in Massachusetts in the last couple of years.
They use Brine here in Cleveland also. They used it for several years here.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

<TUNDRA>
Here they are

This is the plate I want to find

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
well it is 6 years old...and it really serves no good purpose just like ours on our 2nd gens...heck, mine is scuffed and has surface rust on it and has since i went mudding the first month i had the truck. if i were you, i'd just get some of that rust transforming paint that rustoleum sells and paint the thing black again and just run it till it rots too far that it wants to fall off....then leave it off.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well it is 6 years old...and it really serves no good purpose just like ours on our 2nd gens...heck, mine is scuffed and has surface rust on it and has since i went mudding the first month i had the truck. if i were you, i'd just get some of that rust transforming paint that rustoleum sells and paint the thing black again and just run it till it rots too far that it wants to fall off....then leave it off.

I like it because it keeps the bottom of the engine clean. Up here in the 'salt capital' I need all the protection I can get.
I hope people don't think I am complaining about it rusting, I just want it to look half way descent under there.
You think I can just wire brush it and use this special paint and have it last a few more years? Do you know if I can get it from a hardware store or would NAPA maybe carry it?

Thanks

·
Forum Admin
8,250 Posts
i've got 2 stipped bolts on mine. anyone have a fix? i tried tore thread it and it was tough as nails. couldn't cut new threads.
had a similar problem when one of the nuts inside the crossmember pushed through and fell out. Fixed the problem with a knurled M8x1.25 rivnut (aka. nutsert) and some JB Weld around the knurl before pressing it in. The new fastener is stronger than the OEM for sure. If you're getting rivnuts for this, get the wide flange knurled zinc plated steel ones from McMaster. :tu:

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Here they are

Only 6 years old, and it is rusted through. Hard to believe that Toy forgot some people live in the salt states. Looks like the same issue with the frames, etc.

well it is 6 years old...and it really serves no good purpose just like ours on our 2nd gens...just run it till it rots too far that it wants to fall off....then leave it off.
I think it is better to have something under there, even for road drivers. Too much junk can hit you and cause issues. Better to have some protection, IMO.

I reconditioned my undercarriage in 2009, and I do not play in salt anymore. Here is my pic, to show how it looks on a 10 year old Toy. Hopefully not a highjack here, just sharing for those that wonder if it can be done.

·
7,925 Posts
Here they are

That is actually your skid plate and not a brush guard. The link you provided showed the brush guard. The skid plate is actually pretty important. First it does offer some degree of protection for your oil pan as well as protect the lower radiator. It does not take much to puncture a radiator. Second, the skid plate also provides some aerodynamic benefit at highway speeds - according to my experiments around .1 MPG. On the subject of aerodynamic benefit, the underside of the truck is the most aerodynamically dirty part of the body. I am the process of trying to design a full underbody pan (in sections) to smooth out the air flow there.

There are guys on the Forum who have run without the skid plate for years but I would be a little leery of doing so simply because I seem to have become magnetized for bad luck, stupid drivers, and vandalism.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I like it because it keeps the bottom of the engine clean. Up here in the 'salt capital' I need all the protection I can get.
I hope people don't think I am complaining about it rusting, I just want it to look half way descent under there. You think I can just wire brush it and use this special paint and have it last a few more years? Do you know if I can get it from a hardware store or would NAPA maybe carry it?
Thanks
See my other post here. To answer your Q, if you care about the detail underneath, I would look for a replacement in a salvage yard, not rusted. Clean and protect (rust prevent paint, etc) and install. Your current plate would not be worth the effort to save it, with that amount of rust already, IMO.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
That cover is TOAST, guess spraying the undercarriage really does not help up north from looks of your's. How long has it been since a the tie rod has been adjusted? They tend to corrode also and only break when the alignment is done! I know becasue i had a fellow use a pipe wrench on one of mine and they use little salt here but mostly volcanic crushed rock. It will cause all kinds of issues but not much going to help that short of spraying it after every drive? Which is not going to happen, if you wanted something for protection i would look at the link below but if you want same type just go to a upullit and get one?
Front Engine Skid Plate - for Toyota Tundra & Sequoia - Skid Row Offroad These are pricey but they are for rock protection and will probably rust but not as bad as original cover i suppose?

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I agree with going to a salvage yard and getting one. It will save you some
money and you can clean it up and paint it. This site may help
www.car-part.com

John

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i was thinking of something different.
mine has a little rust to.
that part we all need.
it protects the bottom engine items, & the alternator.
gorilla

1 - 20 of 46 Posts