Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty folks, long time lurker, part time contributor here.

My '05 D-cab SR5 just ticked over 130,000 miles. And like many in the snow/salt regions, while no perforations in the frame, my underside is rusted up. Just brought the truck in to have new front shafts put in, new sway bar links, and a planned on a new muffler. I just didn't have the time or tools to bust out and cut out all the rusted up bolts, etc.

Shop has everything done but could do the exhaust. The downstream exhaust flange on both cats are rusted so badly, they'd have to cut a few inches upstream of the flange, and weld a new flange on both, before they could put any replacement stuff in - new Y pipe, new resonator and new muffler. And it would appear that "modding" those cats is limited to an exhaust shop only (my guy doesn't have the pieces to fab up his own system, and because he's a very good shop, only has limited availability anyway). That cats, themselves are solid....just the flanges cannot be reused to bolt or seal the connection there.

I am in NY, so we don't do a smog check, fyi!

So the question(s):
1) The resonator only has a small hole starting at one of the seams. If I replace the just the muffler (thinking Flowmaster 40, just for a tad more noise, or basic OE replacement), and maybe get rid of the resonator with a straight pipe, will that hit the "drone territory"? Or result in other unwanted consequences??
2) Would something like JB Weld, etc, work in sealing off the resonator leak at the seam??? Cheap way out, and still get away with just a muffler replacement?
3) Other thoughts on going forward? Cut out the cats, and have a custom shop fab something up? I'm not calibrated on costs, there???
4) Really not looking to spend a $1000 on custom exhaust, crazy high performance, etc. Just get me out of the woods, and maybe add a bit of tone??

Thanks,
Jamie

·
Registered
282 Posts
Not in NY but it only cost me $215 for a new muffler (Walker SS) and a pipe welded in for the resonator. Adding in a couple new flanges you'd probably be in maybe another $100 I would think.

Not having the resonator won't add much if any drone, either way it'll be quieter than an exhaust with holes in it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, fester!

Yeah, I can get a flowmaster 40 for under $100, and just use clamps myself. But eventually, being in Upstate NY's excessive salt zone, that resonator is going to be shot before long. The replacement cats are ~$275 each on Rockauto! So I either work the new system into the original cats (cut the flanges, weld on new ones or use clamps) or delete the cats (which not many exhaust shops will do in NY, even though we don't have smog checks) which would require more pipe/welds and add some cost....just not calibrated on that $$ option? Since both time and money are limited, I'm just looking at a bunch of options...hopefully, avoiding piecemeal where I'd be back under there fixing something else in a year or so?

Jamie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts