Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well what would you consider a good deal on a used but complete v-8 trd S/C kit. I'm just trying to get a price in my head when I find one.

Thanks,
hoki

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Well what would you consider a good deal on a used but complete v-8 trd S/C kit. I'm just trying to get a price in my head when I find one.

Thanks,
hoki
You are probably looking at at least $3000; probably more.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
You are probably looking at at least $3000; probably more.
Agree. There are more coming into the market now, but, price will depend on
condition and miles. Also need to consider new plugs, thermostat, belt, as add ons for final cost. I would not go with a used belt or thermostat for example, even if included. If you need a dealer/shop to install, need to add that cost as well. If you want a
big jump in HP, it has a cost as we all know.

Is it worth it? Yes, if you want to bump up your Tundra HP. :)

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi if you want it now, it will cost you. if your in no rush wait, watch ebay. 1 will always show up in time.
they have a for a 07/08 for cheap, used of course.
i'm sure i saw 1 yesterday.
type in toyota super chargers or TRD supercharger's
good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
917 Posts
Price will depend on the year of the truck. Hard to give advice on mods when you give no info.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Another thing:

I've heard that there were problems with the S/C's for the early (non-VVT-i) engines. Approach with caution.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi yes there were.
but instead of using the trd piggie back,
get unichip to program the computer module
& pnp harness for the trd s/c, you will be fine.
i heard that people blow there rear ends. that was a long time ago 5years.
but since than,
i haven't heard anything from anyone here, that has a older tundra w/ trd s/c.
i guess it all depends on how you drive it.
if you beat it up. i'm sure you will hirt something.
gorilla

·
Registered
4 Posts
Make sure the S/C kit includes the black breakout box for the computer. It fits by the glovebox. Often the kits on eBay don't include the box.

I'd say $1000 to $1500 would be a fair price. Add another $80 for Denso Iridium spark plugs.
Install isn't that difficult and takes about 6 hours. No need to buy the TRD serpentine belt, the Gates works fine. You do need to loosen the belt tensioner to mount the belt.

Magnuson can rebuild the TRD superchargers and it's about $1,000. They install 2 new rotors, bearings, seals, etc.

Don't run the FIPK cold air kit with the S/C.

Skip running an undersize pulley on the S/C snout unless you want broken cast connnecting rods.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Make sure the S/C kit includes the black breakout box for the computer. It fits by the glovebox.

I'd say $1000 to $1500 would be a fair price. Add another $80 for Denso Iridium spark plugs. Install isn't that difficult and takes about 6 hours. No need to buy the TRD serpentine belt, the Gates works fine. You do need to loosen the belt tensioner to mount the belt.

Don't run the FIPK cold air kit with the S/C.

Skip running an undersize pulley on the S/C snout unless you want broken cast connnecting rods.
Some comments to help...the black box is known as the TRD piggyback ECU. Going with Unichip, is your backup option, but, more time, money, and must be tuned correctly.

I like your price as fair, but, the SC's are not selling that low. Complete kits still run
$2500-$3500. They are hard to come by, so, the market keeps the price up.

I hear from others and a trusted Toy certified mechanic, the Gate belt has a way of
stretching and becoming a problem down stream. Best to stick with TRD belt, IMO.

TRD instructions are very clear about NO use of any CAI kits. Stock air box is
designed well for use, though some may have experience trying other options.

Playing in 5-6psi range is what the unit was designed for. Want to play with 9+, different game and without upgrades, yes, you will break things.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Some comments to help...the black box is known as the TRD piggyback ECU. Going with Unichip, is your backup option, but, more time, money, and must be tuned correctly.

I like your price as fair, but, the SC's are not selling that low. Complete kits still run
$2500-$3500. They are hard to come by, so, the market keeps the price up.

I hear from others and a trusted Toy certified mechanic, the Gate belt has a way of
stretching and becoming a problem down stream. Best to stick with TRD belt, IMO.

TRD instructions are very clear about NO use of any CAI kits. Stock air box is
designed well for use, though some may have experience trying other options.

Playing in 5-6psi range is what the unit was designed for. Want to play with 9+, different game and without upgrades, yes, you will break things.
Well said. My SC with the TRD piggy back has been completely trouble free for 7 years. No problems with the transmission or motor. The computer cuts back on the power before shifting so I think it is a pretty good design. My good friend in Florida did get into expensive repairs but he had made lots of modifications and was running way more boost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts