Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Very interesting read. Thanks for the post.

Looks like some trucks may benefit and some may not from this - but I agree, its the right way to do it. Marketing Engineering is never a good idea...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
that's a good read and makes sense. if the marketeers have all the say in the specs, we may never be able to compare apples to apples. it reminds me when most of the car audio industry adopted the CEA 2006 rating system. it put the amplifiers on a level playing field, since prior to that consumers would buy an amp that was "rated" at 3k watts by the manufacturer but was only capable of a few hundred watt output. not all manufacturers adopted the rating system, but those who didn't almost admit their readings aren't to be trusted. there are a few exceptions, JL comes to mind, since they actually maintain tougher rating standards. i'm all for a clear concise way to measure anything from different products. without it, you don't know if you are really getting what you are paying for.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I have a feeling this will show the F150 can't measure up to it's advertised towing capabilities. My neighbour two doors down is on his third transmission on his 2005 F150 and he tows 6000lbs of travel trailer twice a year. He admits how poor the truck does with just this kind of weight behind it, but doesn't worry about it due to the advertised ratings from Ford. I can't understand how Ford can claim towing capabilities of 10000+ lbs on these trucks when they are so gutless to begin with - go figure!

I'm also curious to see how some of GM's trucks do with elctric radiator fans. I don't think the 6.0 Silverados will be that far off from their published tow specs, but the 5.3s will likely take a hit

I think Toyota's tow ratings are fairly accurate and reasonable just from hearing what most others here are saying about their experiences.

The results from this new testing method will be very interesting for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts