Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Tundra Double Cab SR5
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The pump started to go on my 2006 Tundra. I installed the Hewitt Tech Plug and Play Bypass Kit fine, except while trying to install the block off plates the nut and bolt connecting those tubes sheared off. I know, I am royally screwed. I hit it with penetrating oil multiple times and let is sit for hours, but live in New England with so much salt and corrosion, I was doomed from the get go.

Local muffler shop said it can't be drilled and tapped without taking the engine out. Any other creative solutions? Looking for any other possible solution without having to drop the engine.

Some ideas I am thinking of, but would love some advice on:
  1. Can these same block off plates be installed at the other connection end, where it goes into the intake manifold? Looks to be the same size and much cleaner…no rust or corrosion there.
  2. Can I just crimp this hose and get the same desired result?
  3. Can it be blocked off where it goes into the manifold? I'd rather take manifold off and block off there than drop the engine and have to drill out and tap this stupid bolt.
  4. Or last resort, what about tack welding the plates in place and then use beam clamps to make sure everything stays sandwiched in there?
I did not have any codes thrown before doing this, but understand if I do not get these blocked off, exhaust can leak in and damage the pressure sensor, which would throw me into limp mode. At this point, just trying to find the most cost effective way to to prevent that. Lesson learned, should have just paid to have the pump and valves replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The pump started to go on my 2006 Tundra. I installed the Hewitt Tech Plug and Play Bypass Kit fine, except while trying to install the block off plates the nut and bolt connecting those tubes sheared off. I know, I am royally screwed. I hit it with penetrating oil multiple times and let is sit for hours, but live in New England with so much salt and corrosion, I was doomed from the get go.

Local muffler shop said it can't be drilled and tapped without taking the engine out. Any other creative solutions? Looking for any other possible solution without having to drop the engine.

1. Can these same block off plates be installed at the other connection end, where it goes into the intake manifold? Looks to be the same size and much cleaner…no rust or corrosion there.
  3. Can it be blocked off where it goes into the manifold? I'd rather take manifold off and block off there than drop the engine and have to drill out and tap this stupid bolt.
  4. Or last resort, what about tack welding the plates in place and then use beam clamps to make sure everything stays sandwiched in there?
I did not have any codes thrown before doing this, but understand if I do not get these blocked off, exhaust can leak in and damage the pressure sensor, which would throw me into limp mode. At this point, just trying to find the most cost effective way to to prevent that. Lesson learned, should have just paid to have the pump and valves replaced.

Did you ever find a fix for this? Mine are there same way so rusted I'm afraid to even put a wrench around the nuts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts