Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I am doing a bit of informal research about corrosion on automotive frames. I used to have a Tundra, but ended up selling it due to cost of ownership (I loved that truck). I know what you might be thinking, another dreaded post about the reliability of the Tundra's frame and frame rust issues. It kind of is, but I am not here to question the durability of the frame, I want to hear from others how their frames have been affected by road salt during the winter.

As you know, in the northern states, road salt can be a huge issue with corrosion on frames of all types of automobiles and commercial vehicles.

My questions for you:

1.) Have you experienced any corrosion on your truck's frame over the period of ownership?

2.) If a commercial carwash offered a wash cycle that included special detergent that cleaned and protected your frame from corroding, would you pay a premium for that product?

The more answers I receive, the better. I really appreciate everyone's answers.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
My 05 looked mint before I sold it. But I rust proof my vehicles once a year. The frame is only a portion of the whole vehicle. What about the rockers, fenders, lower doors etc? An underbody spray does not protect these areas from long term road salt issues. So for me, no, I would not pay extra at a car wash for something like this. But given Toyota's history or frame rust issues, something like this might be popular.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My first 04 tundra came from up north it had a little rust but it also spent half the time In florida as well. My second 04 tundra was rust free from orlando florida my new 2011 tundra originated from maine and somehow made its way to orlando as well then tampa and now southwest florida where I own it. It had 2 previous owners with only 28000 miles on it. No rust on it either. Moral of the story move to florida and don't worry about rust. However if I lived up north hell yeah I'd pay to have my truck protected from rust. As my parents own many tundras In chicago and the rust on their trucks is horrendous. I'd hate to see my vehicles look like theirs.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
my 2000s frame suffered from the new CaCl2 salt and brine they started using here in MD about 3 years ago. it wanst to bad years ago when they were using NaCl and me and my dad would spray down the truck religiously any chance we got but after the CaCl2 you couldnt do anything about the rust and it struck hard and quick.

and now the new frame is starting get rust on the welds in the same place the old one did.

as for the special spray i wouldnt pay for it but i think the SHA needs to reevaluate what chemicals they are using on the roads and what it is doing to cars on the road.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my 2000s frame suffered from the new CaCl2 salt and brine they started using here in MD about 3 years ago. it wanst to bad years ago when they were using NaCl and me and my dad would spray down the truck religiously any chance we got but after the CaCl2 you couldnt do anything about the rust and it struck hard and quick.

and now the new frame is starting get rust on the welds in the same place the old one did.

as for the special spray i wouldnt pay for it but i think the SHA needs to reevaluate what chemicals they are using on the roads and what it is doing to cars on the road.
Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you. Here in MN, the DOT uses some nasty stuff on the roadways.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Toyota called my dad to bring in his 2001 Tundra and last week they replaced the frame, about 10k in new hardware from all the bolts an nuts, break and fuel line, etc... Truck was repainted last year and has only 84000m. Bonus!!

Must say that up here we drive in salt 5 month/year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.