Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 crewmax ltd with the nav system that came with the XM sat Radio already installed. They put the Ant on the dash, drivers side close to the windshield and I get terrible reception. Can anyone tell me how long the factory ant wire is so maybe I route it outside and mount it on the roof. Or maybe switch it Sirus. Or Maybe A new Antenna, thanks for the help.
Nick

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 07 crewmax ltd with the nav system that came with the XM sat Radio already installed. They put the Ant on the dash, drivers side close to the windshield and I get terrible reception. Can anyone tell me how long the factory ant wire is so maybe I route it outside and mount it on the roof. Or maybe switch it Sirus. Or Maybe A new Antenna, thanks for the help.
Nick

I used to have mine routed on the roof, but the magnetic mount scratched the paint. Now I have the wire routed up through the center speaker grille on the dash with the antenna sitting on top of the dash. Some have left the antenna under the grille, but I got almost NO reception that way. The signal still drops out sometimes but not enough to be a nuisance - much better than the corner of the dash.

mlinder

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
the corner of the dash mount is cheezy to me and i cant believe dealers are putting it there...hope its dealers and not the factory...or port..that would be horrible to turn out that sort of product... im sure the wire is long enough...if not theres plenty of aftermarket ones that should work...route it out the third brake light hole, use 3M tape to stick it down so it wont move and scratch and dab a little silcone around the wire where it comes out the brake light lens and u should be fine. thats whre mine is.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I put mine in the under the center speaker grill as well (it just pops out using screwdriver), but I used a metal plate under there and a few screws into the holes that are already there, and stuck the antennae magnet to that metal, someone said that the metal helps the signal, I never drop a signal other than a few places where I know everyone I talked to loses theirs, so basically 99.99999999999% solid signal, I am on Sirius.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i dont know about the length of the dealer installed set up. but i added aftermarket sirius to mine. and the antenna was more than long enough to reach the back, and route through the third brake light hole. and as it was stated, use some 3m tape, to stick the antenna down. no scratches that way.

also, it probably depends on your location. but ive never met anyone who got good reception with XM, including myself. anytime you get close to buildings, or trees, etc. the signal just cuts out. with sirius ive never had a problem like this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I heard the same thing too, My brother has a new pilot which uses XM and his antenna is on the roof which he is getting really good signal. But I would like to switch to Sirus, is that possible with the factory nav system to operate just the XM one does now?
Thanks for the help guys!
Nick

·
Registered
102 Posts
It is relatively easy to run an aftermarket XM antenna from the roof along the driver's side windshield trim into the engine compartment and then through the rubber gasket to the back of the dashboard. Took me about 30 minutes max.

Having the XM antenna outside on a metal roof (which acts as a ground plane) brings in an excellent signal strength when there is a clear view to the satellites.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I heard the same thing too, My brother has a new pilot which uses XM and his antenna is on the roof which he is getting really good signal. But I would like to switch to Sirus, is that possible with the factory nav system to operate just the XM one does now?
Nick

im not positive, but i think you would need to get a sirius tuner box. which isnt expensive. and then get the interface to hook up to a stock toyota head unit.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Nick
My Pilot came w/factory XM (small roof mounted ant). When Sirius took them over, I automatically rec'd some new (Sirius) channels on my XM. You can also pay extra for some Sirius to be added to your XM account.
Before I put any considerable money into anything new related to XM /Sirius, I wait to make sure they are around. Both were hemorrhaging money and one bigger company doesn't make it any better. I love the concept and love the music but wont be surprised if I fire up the Pilot one day and the sat radio only plays static.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
right on I will try and locate a aftermarket ant here in town, I live in atlantic Canada and was told that XM doesn't get the reception that Sirus does, so thats why I was asking about changing over, but I would only do it if the Sirus worked the same was as my factory installed XM does.
Thanks again for the help guys.
Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts