Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all have heard and seen what happen at the CA, 200 last weekend, a terrible accident that will never be forgotten. Prayers to all the victims and family's that were involved. If you love off-roading please take 5min out of your day to write a letter, email, or even a phone call to the BLM about not banning off-road racing in Ca. If it gets banned here, then it will cause a outbreak to all other states. Accidents do happen and unfortunately this one was horrific, but it dosent mean that they should shut down off-roading and say it's un safe. Everyone who watches off-road racing or off-roads, no that it is at their own risk, that it is their responsibility for their actions. Everyone knows the rules and unfortunately not everyone follows them, that is how life is. Please write and explain how shutting down the off-road Land racing will affect the community and fans. This is a sport we all love and it won't hurt to take a couple min out of your day to write a letter to explain your love for the sport. Thanks

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
BUMP.

I agree, I live in an area were we rock crawl and race. We have our own issues but if it gets banned were all screwed. I will write a letter to our local BLM tomorrow (right after i go test the concrete for the new building, sorry we have the conctract and need the money, still gonna write the letter).

·
Registered
32 Posts
It'll be interesting to see what happens as a result of this crash. It's really going to piss me off if it gets banned but you can thank people for being idiots and standing where they shouldn't and doing what they shouldn't. Watch the video and tell me if it was a smart place to be standing. Yes it was a sad turn of events, but that's the price you pay when you're standing on the track during an off road race like these people were. It's a mechanical piece of equipment that's bound to fail at any point, and driven by a human and we all know humans make mistakes.

I know I'm going to get people calling me ignorant for what I had to say, but that's how I feel. Saying it's the drivers fault or who held the race or both is just stupidity. How come people can't own up to their mistakes and except responsibility now days? It's a off road race against the elements, and their is no way you can control a 200 mile race. That's the great thing about watching off road racing is the freedom to watch from where ever you want. Like I said it'll be interesting to see what happens. If the driver gets punished you're going to see drivers pull out of racing and if it's the race body that gets blamed you'll see SCORE, MDR, BITD and other bodies stop holding events because their is no sense it putting themselves at that risk again.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
How did I know that a stupid, knee-jerk reaction from a management agency would be the response to that accident?

Someone probably threatened to sue them, no doubt.

Do you have a source for the BLM point of view, and a point of contact?

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Thread moved to Off-Road forum.

·
Registered
566 Posts
JeffsDubcab makes a good point. It's sad that these people died/got hurt, but the only people to blame are them! Nobody held a gun to their head and made them stand that close to the track. If they weren't willing to risk their life to stand that close, common sense should have told them to back up! I would understand trying to make people more aware of the risks of standing that close (since some people can't seem to think), and telling bystanders that the trucks can/probably are going to crash, but shutting down off-road racing is taking it too far!... If you can give me contact info for somebody who is in charge of this, I'll write a letter.

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
How did I know that a stupid, knee-jerk reaction from a management agency would be the response to that accident?

Someone probably threatened to sue them, no doubt.

Do you have a source for the BLM point of view, and a point of contact?
It wasn't actually a knee-jerk reaction from BLM. Their reaction has been a subsequent reaction by California Senators Feinstein and Boxer inquiring about safety precautions and rules for land leasing to events such as the California 200 nighttime race by Mojave Desert Racing.

Apparently the permit leased to Mojave Desert Racing had a stipulation that "required the promoter to keep speeding racers more than 50 feet from any social group." Obviously MDR officials did not enforce that rule as well as they could have.

Here's a good article for reference: For Off-Road Racing, Uncertain Future After Weekend Tragedy --FanHouse
And one by the AP: The Associated Press: California lawmakers seek off-road racing data

Contact Info
Mojave Desert Racing:
Mojave Desert Racing | California Off-Road Racing Series
US Dept of Interior, Bureau of Land Management: BLM OHV - Off-Highway Vehicle Areas, Bureau of Land Management California

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
wow. This is sad, and although I do feel sorry for the victims and their families, it is hard not to think that they shouldn't be so close. The crowd is way too close to the track. I don't want to point the blame, its a tragedy and I don't like to sound so rude about it. Whoever put the race on shouldn't have allowed spectators so close, but the spectators should have enough consideration to not stand where the vehicles are likely to end up if they go a little wide or in this case flip. Unfortunate.

Thanks for posting the info Tundradrenalin, I'll be sure to shoot a line at the BLM. When the media gets a hold of things like this its never good for any enthusiast.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Feinstein and Boxer...of course. You guys really need to put those two on a leash.

Safety is always a concern, but motorsport spectators do this the world over. Spectators should be cogent enough to realize not to stand near the landing of a jump, nor at the outside of a turn, but every video I see anywhere in the world...there they are, lining the outrun with barely half a vehicle width between a 6000# truck moving 70mph. It's amazing it didn't happen sooner.

What happened is a horrible accident, not a pattern.

Don't let those two ****heels turn this in to a circus and another round of nanny state nonsense from California.

There are threads on every offroad forum about this accident right now. They are worth reading...opinions from people who are associated with the races, rather than legislators or administrative bodies who have no connection or understanding of the situation.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
^ this is very true, the first thing that came to mind was how the fans of world rally cross line the course.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts