Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Professional Driver
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im ready to pull the triggee and get some coilovers. I'm torn between the Toytec coilovers ([email protected] toytec) or the Sway Away 2.0 coilovers([email protected] wheelers). The price is pretty much the same, I'm just looking for some more opinions. I know the SAW's are rebuildable and the Toytecs are not. Both look like really good products so any input would be apreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Decisions decisions!
Well, let me give you some of the key points if I may.
Toytecs- never need rebuild(5100s have lifetime warranty anyhow), are very capable and dependable thanks to the simple design. They are a great option for anybody who isn't going long travel but wants something to give a bit of lift and better off road capabilities. They give a little bit more shock travel than stock. You can get them with 600lbs springs or 700lbs springs(I have also seen 650lbs) They ride smooth once the spring settles in a little bit, mine ride like butter and have been trouble free for about 25k miles. Keep in mind, I have them up pretty high and anybody who rides in my truck expects it to ride rough, all are surprised by how smooth it is. Only downfall I can think of is since they are on a 5100 shock, there may be a wait involved when you order. I waited about 6 weeks.

SAWs- more aimed at off-roading, stiffer ride out of the box but a little re-valving can do wonders. The swivel top plate is better than the new flat top plate Toytec is making. The swivel action will give a smoother operation and I think takes some of the stress as well. The bottom of the shock has a spherical thingy for a mount which offers smooth operation as well. Over all, it is built more for movement/articulation than the Toytecs. They come with 650lbs springs which is stiffer but isn't too bad. Know in advance that the time will come to rebuild them, this means taking them off your truck and either doing it yourself or taking them to be rebuilt which means down time for your truck. Keep in mind, these are race shocks, not exactly made for comfort, and they require maintenance.

For the $20 difference, I would go with the SAWs. For the extra money you get a bit more technology. You may never benefit from the difference, but who cares.
Then again, I have had no trouble with Toytecs, I would buy them again no question. I love mine. I may never change them. Good luck and I am putting a coilover comparison guide at the bottom for you, to add to the :confuseda:

It's an older guide, but not much has changed since it was put up.
http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=305967

·
Professional Driver
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im kind of leaning towards the Toytecs because of reliability. But, another part of me says to get the SAW's for the extra $20. Im not going to be doing any really hard offroading, so the Toytecs are more than sufficent for what I need. But than theres still that part of me that says get the SAW's again. Oh well, I'll figure it out this week sometime!

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Do you need a different spring rate? If not, get the ~230$ 5100 kit and call it done.

If you're always hitting the bump stops, you might want a stiffer spring rate...600# is only a small jump up, 650# is what many of us used for years, and IMHO 700# would be a good rate if your truck is heavily loaded...winch, large bumper, skid plates, and so forth. I actually used that rate with the LT kit for a while, before deciding that I didn't carry enough weight enough of the time to justify the higher rate.

If you plan to go fast, particularly with a lot of weight in the truck, you'll want the SAWs. Otherwise, the 5100s should do fine. They are both 2" diameter shocks, similar travel, similar oil volume, dividing pistons, and so forth. The only difference, and this is a guess, is that the 5100s may have a lower nitrogen pressure. I haven't got ahold of Bilstein yet to find out. If they are running the same 200# nitrogen charge as the SAWs, then the only difference is the ability to rebuild and revalve the SAWs vs the Bilsteins.

I noticed not long ago that ToyTec was offering a price break, if you bought an unassembled kit...it's worth asking about.

-Sean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts