Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have this rust spot that just bubbled through the paint in the middle of my rear pass door below the trim. No chips or dents to the area so it seemed to be a mystery. Saw dealer and body shop just prior to Christmas and haven't heard anything from the dealer yet after repeated contact attempts with the service manager. Talked to the body shop and they had the estimate to dealer before 2010 came. So I'm thinking lots of recalls, they have their hands full. I'll just wait a bit. I bought the truck new in fall 2006. The dealer had to bring it up from another dealer because I it was the closest one in the color/trim I wanted.

My neighbour was over today and he just happens to be a body man/painter in a local shop, by all accounts the best painter they have ever had. Showed him the spot and asked what he thought. Surprise... it's been repaired and painted before. If you look close you can see dust in the paint, a few runs in to base/primer coat in the rock guard area, poor coverage and primer showing just inside the door at the bottom and if you get a good sight line down the trim line its wavy. He also says he can feel the sheet metal is really weak in the area below the trim line. There is a crack through the blister in the paint and white powder is now seeping out. He says it's probably bondo breaking down from the moisture. He says he repaints new cars from the dealers quite often, usually just scratches but sometime even dents and stuff.

So, armed with new information I believe I will request strongly that I get a new door, not just a repair. I guess if you know what to look for you will find a lot you didn't even know existed.
Does this mean we need a body man and mechanic to look over even new vehicles?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Good luck proving anyone knew anything about it, they will probably say you did it. :)

I hope you do get a new door but I wouldnt hold my breath......

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
4 years and you never noticed any flaws? sure the bubble in the paint may have just popped up but come on..they arent going to believe you owned the truck for 4 years and just now notice sub standard repair work. one thing u might try before accusing them of it though, is go to the dealer, and have someone pull the service history out of their computer....if their body shop repaired it while new it will have been charged to the new sales department- they dont just fix things w/o any paper trail. it will be in their system if they did it. the body shop and new car sales are seperate in their book keeping so they wont fix it for nothing. its not uncommon....they should tell you though..but alot of times they dont...and ive worked at two dealerships over the years and yes, it does happen. but it will also be in the computer under the vin. then armed with that info , it will be much much easier to demand a proper fix.

·
Registered
842 Posts
instead of calling and waiting for them to answer over and over, i would have just drove to the dealership and made them look at it. seems to me like they are putting you on hold on purpose...just my opinion

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, most peole when they buy a new vehicle don't go over the vehicle witha magnet, or bring a mechanic & body shop guy with them. i have told many of my clients that this new vehicle was already painted. theybring it right in. but in your case, you never noticed it, because it takes a long time, sometimes for spots like yours to start to show.
like others said, be well prepared for your actions when you do go in. remember this has been 4 years.
they are going to blame you. if they can not find any paper work.
i know of a dealership tht if they damage your car, they take it immediately to the body shop & paint it, before you ever get there to pick it up. don't think all dealerships are honest.
have all your ducks in a row, before you go in. be well prepared.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SO, again I tried to get hold of the service manager with no luck so I called Toyota Canada to get a list of what had been done to the truck. I was told they don't have access to all the information as some is not on the "their" system and I would have to check with the dealer service centre. Good luck since it is 2 1/2 hours away and they got the truck for me from a dealer 10 hours away. I told them the situation and why I was curious, without any accusations, and a file was started. The dealer called today, they want to see the truck.
Guess I will see what happens once I can get in.

·
Registered
917 Posts
This sucks but I don't see how the dealer scammed you. You wanted a specific truck and they got it for you. If i was damaged prior to them getting it how would they know? I would be talking to your dealership like your best friends because you need them to help you. Without their help you’re up the creek. I hope it all comes out good for you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This sucks but I don't see how the dealer scammed you. You wanted a specific truck and they got it for you. If i was damaged prior to them getting it how would they know? I would be talking to your dealership like your best friends because you need them to help you. Without their help you’re up the creek. I hope it all comes out good for you.
The scamming comes in with the undisclosed body work on a new truck prior to sale to me.

I have been very diplomatic and have simply been asking to get a response from the dealer. Then with what appears to be new information, I have asked, with no response from the dealer why it appears to have been repaired prior to my purchase without me being notified, if that is the case. The issue for me was initially the dealer not getting back to me after appraising for a possible warranty repair after 3 months and repeated efforts on my part to contact them. Then with the question of possible previous work done and not on file, is someone trying to pull a fast one?
I realize they can do whatever they want but I do have faith in human nature and continue to hope for the best. I was just raising the issue to see what insight other TS members had, and I have appreciated the ones I have gotten.

Scoob
I did look it up on the Canadian equivalent and nothing regarding service that I have not requested is on the service history.

I suspect the original dealer repaired it and did not let the dealer they transferred it to know.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Well, I am sorry that didn't work out for you. I was just trying to help. If a repair was done by someone else than the dealer it wouldn't be on there, and maybe if the dealer did it they didn't put it on there.

Scoob

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
well i have dings and chips in mine about 4 weeks after ownership and it comes with the territory rocks kick up and scratch paint kids throw stuff and hit cars...but for you it seems almost 4 years would have been normal wear and tear not the dealerships fault...i doubt they did body work on it and then sold it to you...things happen it sucks i know but i think everyone on hear is on the same page it couldnt be a scam 4 years later maybe 4 weeks or 4 months sorry that happened

·
Registered
917 Posts
The scamming comes in with the undisclosed body work on a new truck prior to sale to me.

I have been very diplomatic and have simply been asking to get a response from the dealer. Then with what appears to be new information, I have asked, with no response from the dealer why it appears to have been repaired prior to my purchase without me being notified, if that is the case. The issue for me was initially the dealer not getting back to me after appraising for a possible warranty repair after 3 months and repeated efforts on my part to contact them. Then with the question of possible previous work done and not on file, is someone trying to pull a fast one?
I realize they can do whatever they want but I do have faith in human nature and continue to hope for the best. I was just raising the issue to see what insight other TS members had, and I have appreciated the ones I have gotten.

Scoob
I did look it up on the Canadian equivalent and nothing regarding service that I have not requested is on the service history.

I suspect the original dealer repaired it and did not let the dealer they transferred it to know.
If there is no paper work how could there be a scam by your dealership. The damage couls have happened at the port of entry, prior dealership or you could have done it. Four years go by and now you have a issue. Unless you can prove where the accident happened you are probably out of luck. Not many dealerships if any would be willing to fix it after that amount of time and no paper work. Carfax should tell you the first deaership that had the truck you could start there.

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
If there is no paper work how could there be a scam by your dealership. The damage couls have happened at the port of entry, prior dealership or you could have done it. Four years go by and now you have a issue. Unless you can prove where the accident happened you are probably out of luck. Not many dealerships if any would be willing to fix it after that amount of time and no paper work. Carfax should tell you the first deaership that had the truck you could start there.
DUDE you said it CARFAX...i wonder if he has ever seen that commercial sooo true about some dealerships but with no paperwork no scam and the dealership usually doesnt do body work so it would have to be tracked back to the bodyshop which in turn would most likely have some type of fine print about body work for dealerships or something about being not liable...i think hes out of luck...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Carfax was a bust but it was still a good idea to check. Nothing on it except yearly Provincial registration. For the record, both the Service Manager and the Body Shop manager who appraised it thought it very odd to have rust begin in the middle of a panel with, at that time, no visible chips or cracks in the paint besides the bubbling. This very well may come down to Dealer goodwill as it is yet unprovable either way. I can't prove to them I didn't do it and I can't prove it was "touched up" before I bought it from them.
This is why it looks suspicious: dust in the paint, runs in the undercoat, primer overspray inside the door, wavy sheet metal and weak metal. All of this only on that door below the trim line. The rest of the truck is great with exception of general wear.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
CARFAX? I have used it only once when I bought my wives 07 STS. The dealer brought a clean bill of health on the car fax so I was happy. A week after i had it and washed it and was drying around the inside lip of the trunk i noticed wet spot on floor of trunk. I got to looking and there was only 2 nuts out of 6 holding the spoiler on. Took it to the local body shop and he told me that the trunk was not original and it had been repainted. I took a day off and drove back to dealership 1.5 hours and called in the Manager and salesman. Their story was that it was a lease return (which i knew) and the trunk had a little damage and scratches. They replaced the trunk inter dealership and never reported it of course to anyone. It was on the service record, and they ended up giving the wife a bunch of free oil changes and extended the extended warranty i bought another 20,000 miles. I lost faith in Carfax at that point. Of course i know if one was honest and reported it, then it would show up on carfax... They are not all honest... :(

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I met with the dealer today and they looked at it. They agree it has been worked on and repainted. Nothing regarding any body work shows up on their system either. They are putting in a claim with Toyota Canada to have it fixed. It was said in passing that sometimes when a vehicle gets damaged before delivery to the initial dealer the repair is sometimes done and nothing is recorded. I expect that means maybe the transport company or one of the holding area's at customs would have been responsible? That is just conjecture on my part but if that is true it sounds like time from the plant to the dealer might have some area's for improvement in tracking.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Maybe, all that need to be done is to repaint the bottom of the door. I would guesstimate it to be about 200 or $300. Not the end of the world in my opinion.

You could have a transmission or air conditioner compressor fail and it would be much more ....

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I met with the dealer today and they looked at it. They agree it has been worked on and repainted. Nothing regarding any body work shows up on their system either. They are putting in a claim with Toyota Canada to have it fixed.
Doesn't Toyota have a 5 year no mileage rust warranty. If you've only had it for 4 years then it should be covered no matter what. Sorry if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Doesn't Toyota have a 5 year no mileage rust warranty. If you've only had it for 4 years then it should be covered no matter what. Sorry if I'm wrong.
In fact they do have the rust warranty and I am within the time frame, but I believe the wording of it is something about rust through so according to the dealer this particular issue is not covered under that warranty.

Boosted27606 As far as just needing to repaint it, the metal of the door skin has rusted to the point of blistering the paint. Since it has apparently been repaired once already and that repair has now failed, it is going to take a little more than paint and bondo to do it right. Otherwise it will just be a festering problem for the life of the truck. I think we would all complain if we found a rebuilt starter or anything else on our new truck.

I realize in the grand scheme of things this is small potatoes, but if anybody bought a new truck I am pretty sure they would want one that hadn't needed body work and paint before they picked it up. Then for that repair to be unreported seems a little underhanded to me.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Boosted27606 As far as just needing to repaint it, the metal of the door skin has rusted to the point of blistering the paint. Since it has apparently been repaired once already and that repair has now failed, it is going to take a little more than paint and bondo to do it right. Otherwise it will just be a festering problem for the life of the truck. I think we would all complain if we found a rebuilt starter or anything else on our new truck.

I realize in the grand scheme of things this is small potatoes, but if anybody bought a new truck I am pretty sure they would want one that hadn't needed body work and paint before they picked it up. Then for that repair to be unreported seems a little underhanded to me.
Absolutely. I didn't realize the damage was that extensive. A real repair would involve either a new door or some serious welding and repainting, which you obviously should not have to pay for.

The question is whether the original dealer ( who did the shady work ) or the second dealer, who knew nothing about the damage, will come forward and accept responsibility and will be willing to pay for repairing it correctly this time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts