Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I ran across a thread about gas mileage and someone brought up ScanGaugeII - Scan Tool + Digital Gauges + Trip Computers. If you do a further search on this board using the term "ScanGauge II" you will find some interesting stuff from members about this product. If you Google "ScanGauge II" you will find even more stuff than you can read in a week. ALL Positive.

First Off: I am VERY "Cost Conscious"...Oh wait, I think that means I'm a Tight Wad. YES. SO: There is a digital gadget that can tell you what your gas mileage is... in real time...MPG..as you drive. It plugs in to your "OBD II" plug under your dash, which already exists in your vehicle. It will also tell you error codes that turn on your "Check Engine Light". You can turn OFF the light. I won't get into ALL the stuff this gadget can do, but I CAN say, I went to the website, looked around, was very impressed with the presentation and the way FAQ were answered, as well as the pictures, which answered the questions that weren't otherwise answered..

I Ordered One last Friday. It came yesterday....Wednesday. It's installed. The more I diddle with this thing, ...and become aquainted with it's capabilities, the more I AM IMPRESSED. I am not into "Dressing Up" my truck, but this item is a MUST HAVE. TacoGuy

PS: For you guys who have a "Cold Air Intake"....this gismo will tell you what the temperature of the air is going in. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SO: Has anyone with an "05-'07 Taco tried this thing yet? Where did you mount it? I'm still looking for a "good" place. Velcro, as a mounting method doesn't seem to work for me. Seems cheezy. Location is problematic as well. INPUT??? TacoGuy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
SO: Has anyone with an "05-'07 Taco tried this thing yet? Where did you mount it? I'm still looking for a "good" place. Velcro, as a mounting method doesn't seem to work for me. Seems cheezy. Location is problematic as well. INPUT??? TacoGuy.
Do a search on this board - myself and several others have it and have posted previously (including a pic I posted of it installed on my steering column below the gauge cluster).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got mine last week and my first long trip was Monday. My milage jumped from 18.7 average to 21.2 using the SG2 to keep me mindful of the affect of my right foot.

I'm saving gas and find myself not revving my truck as much and have even slowed down.

This thing rocks and will pay for itself in no time in gas, wear and tear, and possible speeding tickets.

Get one!

·
Registered
3 Posts
one thing I forgot....

I mounted on top of the rear view mirror using thin 3M double sided tape. It looks very clean (I'm a fanatic about things looking clean and neat)....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like my current favorite mounting location is just above the steering column on a light aluminum bracket I fabricated to raise the gauge about 1/2 inch (at the ends) above the curved steering column plastic cover.

There is a guy over at ToyotaNation that completely dis-assembled his ScanGauge, and modified the internal parts to fit inside the area where the factory Compass/Outside Temp assembly is located on the overhead console. The work looks like a FACTORY JOB. Plenty of pictures and description how to do it... if you feel comfortable modifying circuit boards, LCD screens, and soldering little wires to little switches. TacoGuy

EDIT: Sorry, I can't find the link to the above at TN.
EDIT 2: Found the link: ScanGauge Mod Tutorial

·
Registered
149 Posts
That is an awesome job he did mounting it into the overhead console. Looks better than factory. Problem is he used a Scangauge I. The newer SG II has a much larger screen that won't fit into the same space. . . . .

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is an awesome job he did mounting it into the overhead console. Looks better than factory. Problem is he used a Scangauge I. The newer SG II has a much larger screen that won't fit into the same space. . . . .
Thanks Hobbes: I hadn't noticed that His was a ScanGauge I. I googled it and found the Manual for the Scangauge I, and the case for the "I" is MUCH bigger to accomodate the much larger circuit board. However, as you mentioned, the screen for the "I" is only 2/3 the size of the screen in the ScanGauge II.

He did that job about a year ago. I wonder if he has a ScanGauge II by now. TacoGuy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts