Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a scangauge about 2 months ago, and it was pretty chill, but all of a sudden it doesn't keep track of "trip" information. It just resets itself every time I turn the truck off/on. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, I get up at 4:30 every day and get on the road at about 5:30, the weather has been cool, probably in the high 40's to low 50's consistantly, so I don't think that matters too much, but the entire trip to work is downhill, and some mornings I will get the 9999 readout all the way to work and I just coast the whole time & never have to accelerate, and other mornings it'll sit at about 45mpg and i have to accelerate every now and then to keep at 35-40mph which is the speed limit.

Why would that be?

thank you!

·
Forum Admin
8,250 Posts
9999mpg means the fuel cut. In other words, no fuel is being sent, so you're getting maximum MPGs. This happens during decelleration where you let your foot off the pedal and coast to a stop or when you're coasting down a hill, as you mentioned. The fuel cut will stop when the RPMs reach 1400, if I recall correctly. Then you will see normal MPG readouts on the display again.

You have to register FILLUPs every time you full up with gas using the SGII. And to maintain accuracy, it will only work if you fill up the tank to when the gas pump clicks off. In other words, don't overfill and don't squeeze more gas in to "top off". If you register the FILLUP every time, your MPGs will be as accurate as you can get.

If the ScanGuage is cutting off (getting no power) check the connection at the OBD2 port. It has to be connected at all times.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some clarification:

I take the same route to work every day, and have a distict route *ie, i even switch lanes in the same place every day to get maximum coasting*, so yeah, I understand that there is a cutoff but some days it does the cutoff dealio and some days it does not. Even at the same MPH.

I never disconnect my scangauge. It has been connected since it was installed, and I have been doing the fillups every time I fill up completely.
The other day I drove about 50 miles, turned my truck off and a day later, came back and started it up again and everything had been reset. Ever since that day, It has reset every time I turn it off and on. The connection to the OBD2 port is good, and I changed the backlighting a MONTH ago, and its still that color, so the memory works....so weird.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Some clarification:

.....The connection to the OBD2 port is good, and I changed the backlighting a MONTH ago, and its still that color, so the memory works....so weird.
You changed the backlighting did you? All by yourself? Uh-huh. And tell us again when the problem began? Say, about a month ago? Do we see a connection here? Could there be a possibility that somewhere, somehow, you buggered up the da*mn thing???? :beatsme: If it was working why the he!! did you touch it? Sheesh, you sound like my wife. :angrywife:

So just a thought, go back and reset whatever you did. Check the cable, battery, floormats, gas pedal, whatever is check-able. Report back tomorrow.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You can change the backlight on the SG2 through the settings... don't think its that... my vote is on the cable.

Funny you mention backlight though, mine likes to change colors by itself every now and again and a quick smack will get back to the color its supposed to be (ugly toyota green) but that is after a good solid 2 years of use and sitting in the sun through the windshield. Still works perfect and I don't have that reset problem you have described.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi,
scangauge is made by a really awesome company.
if you have any issue's contact them.
they will reply.
they will most likely tell you to send it back in.
write on the address- attention: REPAIRS.
which they most likely will tell you anyway.
they will take care it whatever you issue is.
if they don't i'd be surprised.
there customer service is rated A in my book.
regards,
gorilla

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Is your battery fully charged and connections clean? It may be the pull from the starter drains all residual power from the vehicle to start it & is wiping out your settings. I had a battery go bad in the wifes van that would do that.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks, gorilla i'll probably end up sending it back, thanks for the reply.

togman-yes, everything is cherry looking under the hood, i wiggled the obd2 and nothing changed, checked the connection and its good.

You can change the backlight on the SG2 through the settings... don't think its that... my vote is on the cable.

Funny you mention backlight though, mine likes to change colors by itself every now and again and a quick smack will get back to the color its supposed to be (ugly toyota green) but that is after a good solid 2 years of use and sitting in the sun through the windshield. Still works perfect and I don't have that reset problem you have described.
Thats weird...yeah I figured if it was a memory problem, it would reset the backlight to default, but its still red. It might be the cable, but then again, why would the backlight not change? Its weird. I'll just ask scangauge's website.

You changed the backlighting did you? All by yourself? Uh-huh. And tell us again when the problem began? Say, about a month ago? Do we see a connection here? Could there be a possibility that somewhere, somehow, you buggered up the da*mn thing???? :beatsme: If it was working why the he!! did you touch it? Sheesh, you sound like my wife. :angrywife:

So just a thought, go back and reset whatever you did. Check the cable, battery, floormats, gas pedal, whatever is check-able. Report back tomorrow.
Maybe you could re-read my post before accusing me of sounding like your wife....

here's my report: you are an idiot...it takes three seconds to change the backlight. Its not like you install anything, you touch some buttons and it changes color. "If its working why did you touch it?" sounds like my girlfriend. I feel sorry for your wife. before blasting people's posts with piss, you should understand the product that is being discussed. Then again, what did I expect from a guy named "big money" from south carolina?

·
Supportive Supporter
1,141 Posts
Weak battery?
Weird coincedence? (gawd, I are a good speller!) :clown:
I think if your battery is getting old or low or weak that might do it.
Sometimes starting my truck on a cold morning where it cranks a bit more than normal, my XM radio will be reset to the XM info station....not having done anything except cranking the truck to start it.
My scangage has never reset....but it's a possibility.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts