Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey- I was just wondering if some of you guys could post up your usual operating coolant temperatures. Mine usually runs 198-200, which seems kind of hot. When going up long hills I've seen it climb to 207.

I'm getting the thermostat changed when I go home in september, but would appreciate input!

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Mine usually stays in the 190-195 range. However, it's been really hot here lately and I've seen it as high as the low 200s. 190 seems about right, because that's where mine wants to stay during normal driving, where there are no hills, traffic, etc.

·
Professional Driver
501 Posts
Ive seen 195-200 frequently on real hot days. I saw it up over 200 before, too, but it really didnt bother me since the factory gauge didnt even budge. Sometimes I think the Scangauge can make us more paranoid than we need to be.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mine ranges from 186-195 depending on the variables of air temp, load and terrain. I have never seen it above 195.

·
Registered
203 Posts
188oF-195oF I have seen it at 203oF one time but it was 98oF outside and I been towing for 2 hours.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
had a new tstat installed with the timing belt. apparently they used after market as my norm is 195-197 and seen it at 205 on a 80 degree day climing hills in Baja.

paranoia does creep up, especially watching the atf climb to 190 in 4wd in the sand.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, my 05 double cab stays at 184-186. at a long light it goes to 188.
thats with everything on, & the florida sun.
i put a TRD rad. cap on. also i put on the darrel waltrip grill.
i belive it has to allow for more air to cool. but i could be wrong.
i also have the volant, it has a extra hole that allows ait directly from the grill
into the hole in the volant box. all this might have to do with the lower temps.
gorilla

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
The DashDyno shows temps of 189 when my fans come on.
Normal driving conditions in Virginia summer, +90F and +70% humidity, the temp shows 187-194 every day.
Highest I've seen was 202F. That was while sitting at stopped traffic for 30 minutes, right behind a bad accident wreck, 102F outside, the A/C blasting, and my intake air got to 138F. I actually cooked an egg on my tonneau. :D

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Mine typically runs between 190 F - 193 F when it's in the mid 90's outside. Lately it's been over 100 F outside and I have seen it get up to 197 F a few times while the A/C was wide open and I was sitting at a traffic light, but as soon as I start rolling it drops right back down to around 193 F.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I average 184-190. I don't ever remember seeing it go higher than that.

John

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Mine usually runs 185 - 191.

·
Registered
777 Posts

186 to 193 is my average, never higher than 193.
I noticed the high operating temps after the last antifreeze change.
When I did my first and second fluid changes the truck was two years and four years old and I put Toyota "Red" in it. She never got above 186.
When I went to the dealer to get more A/F for the third change they told me I should be using "Pink" A/F. So I bought "Pink" and then I noticed the temp getting as high as 193. It could be that the "Pink" doesn't protect as well as "Red" on the cooling part.
Or it is all in my head because I have different A/F in her now.

·
Uhhh.. what?
63 Posts
Only had my scangauge a couple of days so far, but seems to run ~186-195 with ambient temps in the mid-high 90's. Gotta love the desert.

·
Registered
777 Posts
mine was refilled with red/pink. how do you tell the difference? if i had to guess mine is pink!
The red is very dark and the pink is much lighter. My older Toyotas take the red. It is easier to tell the difference when they are side by side. If it looks pastel then it is the pink.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts