Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was coming back from dinner with my wife in the truck with me, getting ready to make a left turn and my wife tells me to hurry up to catch the light before it changes...so I step on it until I make it to the intersection. Of course, as I started to turn, I took my foot off of the accelerator and...the truck kept going to redline! Meanwhile, I'm trying to make this turn, I'm in the middle of a busy intersection on the edge of the mall--tires are squealing, ASC/TRAC/LSD is blinking and beeping--WTF???!!! :confused: Of course, my first reaction was to step on the brake, but even those big 'ol brakes won't stop 381 HP... Fortunately, I threw it in neutral and coasted to the side, but couldn't get the engine to quit revving. After turning off the truck completely, I was starting to get worried--that's a pretty big problem for any truck, let alone one with 700 miles on it, so I took a look around. Turns out my floor mat slid forward and was laying on top of the accelerator. I never bothered to put the little tabs in that hold the mats in place... Lesson learned, thank God with no damage to anyone or anything: It's all in the details... Be safe!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Was coming back from dinner with my wife in the truck with me, getting ready to make a left turn and my wife tells me to hurry up to catch the light before it changes...so I step on it until I make it to the intersection. Of course, as I started to turn, I took my foot off of the accelerator and...the truck kept going to redline! Meanwhile, I'm trying to make this turn, I'm in the middle of a busy intersection on the edge of the mall--tires are squealing, ASC/TRAC/LSD is blinking and beeping--WTF???!!! :confused: Of course, my first reaction was to step on the brake, but even those big 'ol brakes won't stop 381 HP... Fortunately, I threw it in neutral and coasted to the side, but couldn't get the engine to quit revving. After turning off the truck completely, I was starting to get worried--that's a pretty big problem for any truck, let alone one with 700 miles on it, so I took a look around. Turns out my floor mat slid forward and was laying on top of the accelerator. I never bothered to put the little tabs in that hold the mats in place... Lesson learned, thank God with no damage to anyone or anything: It's all in the details... Be safe!
Glad I wasn't in the back seat to soil the fun:clown: Anyway just got some weathertech floor liners today. I highly recomend them the fit is perfect.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Anyway just got some weathertech floor liners today. I highly recomend them the fit is perfect.
I have the weathertechs in my own 2007 tundra,but I do wish that they extended further forward.They don't fully cover under the pedals like the husky liners do in my other vehicles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I heard about that floor mats incident too...We have a customer that the mats hang on his accelerator pedal too. Another customer complains about not getting enough speed on highway...It turns out that he got an all weather floor mats on top of his factory installed carpet mats...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow.. glad you guys are safe. It reminds me of that movie where the one lady's water bottle rolls underneath her brake peddle preventing her from stopping. Ever since watching that, I've been very aware of loose objects down there on the floor panel. Again... glad you all are safe.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Glad you are ok.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's quick thinking man! ...

Same thing happened to me in my 4-Runner once, had 5 speeed so threw it into neutral as well. Not so sure I'd have been smart enough to do same with automatic!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was rear-ended by a girl on the freeway who claimed the heel of her shoe got hung in her floor mat and she couldn't hit the brake. I was at a dead stop due to traffic and she didn't even slow down. (I was driving a Camry, not my truck.) Of course everyone asked "What about her using her other foot!"

Since then I have always been careful of floor mats.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Almost as scary as my cat jumping under my break pedal trying to hide from the moving world!
And you thought your brakes had just developed a funny sounding squeal...;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts