Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I've searched thru the forums as well as the net in general all morning, and I can't seem to get a good answer to my question: Do I need to change the LSD oil @ 30K or not? :confused:

I brought my 07 Tundra Limited 2WD Crewmax in this morning to get the 30K service done, including the differential oil change, which would run me $280 total w/tax ($80 for the diff oil change by itself) and part of the Toyota dealers service reccomendations. Since then, I've gone on a research spree and saw on Toyotas recommended service for 30K, the differential fluid change falls under the additional maintenance for special ops section. I learned quickly that Toyotas recommendations and the dealers recommendations are usually different. I called the dealer back and told them not to do ANY service for now.

Although I put alot of miles on my Tundra, it's to and from work, relatively low stop and go driving, w/alot of open road driving. I've NEVER towed anything, no off roading, I don't stomp on it...basically drive like gramma. The only load I ever have is myself and a maybe a friend or two here and there. I live in Fl so the temp can get around 100F in the summer, but nothing to much more. Basically, the driving conditions and how I drive it are about as minimal as you can get or close to it.

I think it's safe to say that doing any fluid change can't hurt, but I'm confused by what I've read, what the dealer says to do, and what Toyota says to do compared w/my driving routine. Also, in Toyotas maintenance schedule, it doesn't even say to change it...just keeps it as a recommendation under the towing/special ops section.

So again, I have LSD in my 07 Tundra 2WD, drive it like a little girl...does it need to be changed? Can/should I wait and change @ 50K? 100K? Don't need to ever change it?

Thanks! all in advance!!!:yo:

·
Registered
223 Posts
i didn't change my 04 LSD until 50K. what came out looked fine. I do some off road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. Thanks!

I called Mr. Toyota himself (Toyota.com....headquarters..whatever you want to call it) and asked them. Dude told me that the oil is lifetime oil, and you go from there. He said to check it at regular intervals, but as long as it looks good, then it's good...just change it when it needs to be changed and take note of where you live and how you drive your Tundra.

I'm going to take my truck to Walmart and have them do the oil change (I just don't feel like doing it myself), get the lifetime tire balance and rotation, have them check the LSD fluid along w/the others, top, etc...and GTG. Then I'll check and change my engine air filter and cabin air filter which will take all of 10 mins from buy to install. All told $100 + or - for what would have run me $280.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I believe I did it around 45K on my last truck along with a transmission fluid change, coolant flush, and transfer case fluid. Ill probly do it at 40 or 45 this time around. I'd do it immediately after deep water crossings (up higher than the tops of the tires) which I've only ever had to do once. Probably tons of people out there who never had the thought cross their minds in 100K and never had a problem. I am weary of having chains do stuff like tranny, diffs, whatever. I get worried that regardless of whatever I tell them they'll put in whatever happens to be on the shelves or throw in whatever snakeoil additives they offer rather than manufacturer recommended fluids. And I often bring them the oil if they're doing the oil change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe I did it around 45K on my last truck along with a transmission fluid change, coolant flush, and transfer case fluid. Ill probly do it at 40 or 45 this time around. I'd do it immediately after deep water crossings (up higher than the tops of the tires) which I've only ever had to do once. Probably tons of people out there who never had the thought cross their minds in 100K and never had a problem. I am weary of having chains do stuff like tranny, diffs, whatever. I get worried that regardless of whatever I tell them they'll put in whatever happens to be on the shelves or throw in whatever snakeoil additives they offer rather than manufacturer recommended fluids. And I often bring them the oil if they're doing the oil change.
I thought about bringing them the oil, but I'm definately going to check on all that before they do it. What's the general concensus on oil for my Tundra without regard to cost?

Also w/the diff fluid; I just want them to check it it and going to be specific about that. If something does need to be done, I'll bring it back to the dealer and have them do it. I'm not going to have Wal-Mart tear into my Tundra for anything more than basic stuff:td:

Thanks for your input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts