Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get a poll on everyone's thoughts on maintenance. What you read in the service manual and what the dealerships tell you are totally different. For instance they recommend coolant changes at 30,000 when the book says 100,000. Or what about automatic transmission service. The dealer told me yes 100,000 is recommended from Toyota but if done at 30,000 whe can find a problem early if you have one. What I was wondering is what most 4 Runner buffs do. I mean I want to make sure my car is serviced when needed but I don't want to do unnecessary service if it's not needed. Any information would be helpfull. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I wanted to get a poll on everyone's thoughts on maintenance. What you read in the service manual and what the dealerships tell you are totally different. For instance they recommend coolant changes at 30,000 when the book says 100,000. Or what about automatic transmission service. The dealer told me yes 100,000 is recommended from Toyota but if done at 30,000 whe can find a problem early if you have one. What I was wondering is what most 4 Runner buffs do. I mean I want to make sure my car is serviced when needed but I don't want to do unnecessary service if it's not needed. Any information would be helpfull. Thanks.
I usually follow the book and i tend to go a little overboard. But, i usually do my own maintenance. So, you be the judge here, a little early on some stuff wouldn't hurt at all. Other than your pocketbook initially. Any type of maintenance you do will pay big dividends down the road. As far as toyota goes, all your tranfer case oils hold up better than any other manufacture out there. However, you should keep an eye on them anyway for discoloring & metal shavings. Transmission fluid is another issue, if you tow with your rig, you should do a complete tranny service at 60k (4-runner). But all i do is drain & refill starting at 35k and do it every other oil change from there. You want to keep the fluid red in color, not purple or black. Red.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree, go by the book if not more offten or sooner.

Example: The book says every 4k miles for oil changes and I do them every 3k.

:tu:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts