Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking at upgrading my head unit to a double din dvd model. I want the best bang for my buck. Navigation is not needed. Basically, I want to listen to the radio, my mp3 player, and have a dvd play on occasion during my longer trips. I have been doing a little research and know that Kenwood and Clarion make a unit which will also allow me to port video from an IPOD...way cool! I'm also looking for a unit which will easily allow me to hack in order to play DVD's while on the move --- I know, I know so let's leave the preaching out of this please. In any case any and all information will be appreciated.

·
I'm just here for the food!
600 Posts
I've got the Alpine IVA-W200 in my truck. From what you are interested in having, the unit does have those capabilities including your movie while driving. I don't know much about stereo setups and what not so I'm not sure if the shop installed some sort of device that allows me to play movies while driving or not since he didn't mention to me anything about it when I got it:rolleyes: . But it can play mp3,dvd,vcd,has aux hookup for extra monitor in the back and other stuff. A picture of it is inside my gallery so you can see how it looks. Any other Q's you may have about this product feel free to ask, and I'll try my best to get you the answer:ts:

·
TS
579 Posts
I think this will be one of those threads that everyone who has one will swear by their own because all of the available products are good. That said, my own is a pioneer avic-d1/d2. I got mine on the internet used for 800 a year ago and upgraded the software to the newer versior, I never thought I needed nav, but once you have it, you will never want a truck without it. As far as sat- your options are both XM and Sirius, I have sirius and the channel listings are bleak and hard to navigate. Ipod hookup is decent. Backup camera is great for the lazy man backing up to a trailer. DVD playback is through an external device- I use a 6 dvd changer under the passenger seat. Sound quality is the same as the rest- better than stock.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get a nav unit. I sat on the fence a while about it and when I took the plunge I got a nav unit and haven't looked back since. There is very little price difference if you shop around so it only makes sense to spend a little extra and get a unit with everything. You can find the new pioneer d3 for around $800 on the net and hooking up a nav unit isn't all that tough if you use a wiring harness. I personally use an eclipse avn5500 which is not the best unit out there but it had the best features to price ratio that I could find when I was looking. I got it with the ipc-106 ipod adaptor for $969 shipped. The nav has come in handy on several occassions especially when traveling to an unfamiliar place.

Edit: Corrected spelling.:eek:

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
I have the Eclipse, AVN 5435. Nav, Sta radio, DVD, MP3, all the good stuff. I highly recomend Eclipse. Thats what Lexus uses in their cars.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a single din JVC KD-AVX1 with a small 3.5" screen. The screen is small but the picture is great. If you have kids you can hook other sceens to it. For $300 from Frys you beat the price. I have pics in my photo gallery.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My buddy has the Alpine W200 and its pretty nice. No Nav, but has the option to add. He has full ipod controls, and has the parking brake wire grounded so he can play movies (FOR HIS PASSENGERS:rolleyes: ) while driving.

I personally like eclipse, and have the Avn-6610. I have full ipod control, HD radio, backup camera, and have other options I can add, ie; sat radio with real time traffic(shows up on Nav), bluetooth, tv tuner, and a couple others. Navigation works and looks great, plays dvd's while driving (I also have my parking brake wire grounded:rolleyes: ). The thing I like best about it (reason I bought), It has two dvd players, one for the Nav and for regular dvd's. I can play the dvd for the kids in the back (I have headrest screens with infrared headphones) and have the Nav working up front with either the radio or the ipod playing for me and my wife.

All I can say is do your research, and find the best setup for your situation and price range. I spent about 2 months debating on which setup to get, the pioneer, the alpine or the eclipse. I did have the factory toyota Nav and liked it alot, so I was already partial to eclipse(eclipse makes the factory toyota Nav's). Good Luck!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Eclipse AVN is the way to go. Dollar for dollar, this is probably one of the best purchases for my truck thus far!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Some one in the Sequoia forum shows installed pis of the Pioneer AVIC-D3 and it seems like a good unit for the price and it fits like factory. Crutchfield sells it for $999 and it seems the only problem people complain about is the fact that you have to remove the Nav disk to play a CD or DVD but otherwise it seems like a popular unit for the price. I am planning on getting one for my wife's Sequoia.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Some one in the Sequoia forum shows installed pis of the Pioneer AVIC-D3 and it seems like a good unit for the price and it fits like factory. Crutchfield sells it for $999 and it seems the only problem people complain about is the fact that you have to remove the Nav disk to play a CD or DVD but otherwise it seems like a popular unit for the price. I am planning on getting one for my wife's Sequoia.
I am looking at getting the Pioneer AVIC-D3 this summer. It seemed like an all around good buy for the price.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I also like the dual drive setup on the eclipse. What I don't like is the ipod control with my unit. It doesn't have a true full control on it unlike the newer 5510 or other current models. I also like the touch screen control of the eclipse especially when I want to change the eq or enter data. I wouldn't want a unit that didn't offer touch screen. Anyway I use my ipod as my hd and with 80gb I can stuff a lot of music onto it.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
if i had to do it again, id go for the alpine w200. :tu: :tu: :tu:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a pioneer avh-6800 double din 7" touch screen and am very happy with it. I've got the usual add-ons bluetooth,ipod,sat. radio,and reverse camera. Thinking about adding nav. but not sure I really need it. The unit is also a built in 6 disc CD/DVD changer. The screen moves out of the way to change disc, and looks like a factory install. It too can be grounded for play on the road (very easy).

·
TS
579 Posts
06Dcab, I'm right down the road from you in mandeville. Hardly ever see people from around here on the board.
Anyway, is your dvd changer built into the unit, or is it a standalone?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts