Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could really use some help here. I have a 2000 Tundra Access Cab and am trying to narrow down a noise coming from the rear of my truck. It sounds like the driver's side but that may just be because that's where I am sitting. Anyway, As I am driving I can here a "Scrape Scrape Scrape" sound that speeds up and slows down with the speed of the truck. I notice it when I let off the gas most or when I'm not "torquing" or accelerating. Like when I'm cruising down the road and reach my intended speed I let off the gas a little and hear this "scrape scrape scrape" noise continuously. I think it either goes away or quiets down when I give it gas but some of that may be the exhaust sound drowning it out. I have rotated the tires but the noise didn't follow the tires. Any ideas where to start? I am comfortable doing almost any work to the truck myself and will be trying to tackle this before it leaves me stranded or causes bigger issues.

Thanks in advance
Jim

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Have you checked the brakes? Could be either front or rear. When did you service them last? How many miles do you have on them?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. I have only owned the truck for about a month. I replaced the front calipers and pads last weekend and the pads were worn almost to the metal. I plan on pulling the drums tomorrow to have a look. I would love it to be something that simple. I can tell you that, except for the frequency of the noise (duty cycle) the noise doesn't change when the brakes are applied though. The truck is a 2wd and has 60k miles.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Maybe check the flame arrestor plate over the cat converter or muffler if it has one. They can rust and if they are bent they could touch the driveshaft and make this kind of noise. had it on a 4 runner.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check that as well. What internal issues could cause similar sounds? I would think that a wheel bearing would be a constant sound or "roar" rather than a oscillating type sound.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I had a rhythmic groan which was proportional to speed on my 06 from brand new. It was indeed bearings.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Right on Mr. C. A bearing would usually be a groan but he's specifically mentioned a scrape type sound. To me that's not a bearing so I didn't want to confuse him.

Kindly take a few pics when you do figure it out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a rhythmic groan which was proportional to speed on my 06 from brand new. It was indeed bearings.

Thanks Mr C. I am leaning that way as well.

Right on Mr. C. A bearing would usually be a groan but he's specifically mentioned a scrape type sound. To me that's not a bearing so I didn't want to confuse him.

Kindly take a few pics when you do figure it out.
Update>>>

I took my daughter to school this morning and could plainly hear the noise on the return trip. The sound is a rythmic scrape/groan so I am betting on a new wheel bearing in my future as well. Just to be safe, I drained the diff and the fluid that came out was basically the same color as the new 80w-90 fluid I put back in. I also added the LSD additive. The additive states that it is safe for standard diffs as well. I am going to do some figure-8's drive it to work now. My guess is that this will have no effect but probably a good idea anyway.

I may have to pull the axle this weekend and have a look. Is there any way to tell if a rear wheel bearing is bad with the car up on jacks? i know that on a front bearing the wheel will wiggle but I doubt that's the case on a rear drive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, just got to the office. As I expected, the noise was still there. I am going to pull the drums tonight or tomorrow morning and see what I'm looking at. At this point I'm hoping for a brake shoe issue or broken spring... doubtful but we'll see.

Just to be prepared, I checked and the wheel bearing is available for $42 locally. There is also a shop up the street that will press the bearing off/on for me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just put the truck up on the jack stands and pulled the driver's side wheel. When I turn the axle I can hear a crunch sound every 180 degrees. At this point I guess I need to pull the axle and see what's going on in there.

My plan for pulling the axle:

• Remove brake shoes
  • Disconnect the brake line
  • Disconnect the E-brake cable
  • Remove 4 nuts at the rear of the baking plate
  • Pull axle out....
After that, I guess it'll be up to me to see if the bearing is indeed bad and get a new one pressed on if it is.

Anyone see any potential issues with this line of thinking? Am I missing any removal steps? How difficult will it be to pull the axle out? Should I get a loaner puller?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Good luck. I've never pulled an axle so can't help there. But only advice is to go slow and inspect everything closely as you remove.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just pulled the drum off and the sound is gone. When I put the drum back on I can hear and feel it. I adjusted the brakes shoes back a few clicks and can now feel the shoes touching at one spot on each revolution. I may need a new drum if this one is out of round. At this point I'm going to attack this issue before I dig any deeper.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
Another thing to check is to look at the brake drum dust cover. It's the thin metalpart overlapping the brake drum. This is easily bendible and if it is, it could be touching the drum and causing the scraping noise on each revolution. it's easily remedied by benind the dust cover away from the drum.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another thing to check is to look at the brake drum dust cover. It's the thin metalpart overlapping the brake drum. This is easily bendible and if it is, it could be touching the drum and causing the scraping noise on each revolution. it's easily remedied by benind the dust cover away from the drum.
I saw that when I had mine apart this morning. I bend it back and made sure it wasn't contacting the drum. There was no evidence that it had been touching anywhere.

Update:

I adjusted the brake shoes away from the drums and drove to work. There was no scraping sound. I stopped at a parking lot about 5 miles from the office and manipulated the e-brake several times and then got back out on the road. The scraping noise had returned :tu: . At this point I was very happy.

So... next question. Can this drum be turned ($10) or should I just get a new one for $45 and be done with it?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'm guessing its original so you'd be better off to replace with new - and do both sides and throw some new shoes on there too. But only if you plan on keeping it for a few more years. Otherwise just turn it down and sell it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm guessing its original so you'd be better off to replace with new - and do both sides and throw some new shoes on there too. But only if you plan on keeping it for a few more years. Otherwise just turn it down and sell it.
I bought this truck about 1 month ago. I'll be keeping her until she's ready for the junk yard. The plan is for this truck to become my son's 1st car when he turns 16 in 2 more years. Until then it'll be my daily driver. Right now the truck has 60k miles and is running great. Since I just got it I am kind of going through everything and getting it up to par.

So far I have:
Replaced 1 Tire (separated)
Had the front end aligned
Added fender flares
Coated the Rocker Panels
Replaced Exhaust manifolds (cracked driver's side) with Stainless Headers
Replaced both Brake Calipers and both sets of brake pads
Resealed the rear window and windshield
Changed differential fluid
Changed transmission fluid
Replaced transmission filter and gasket
Changed Oil/filter
Replaced power steering fluid
Replaced brake fluid
Flushed cooling system

The only two lingering issues are this scraping noise and the odd shifting patterns that the truck seems to have. I'll probably stop by and grab a new drum on the way home this evening. It's a 10 minute job to replace so I may as well just take care of it.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Wow that's great. It should run well past 100k with your good maintenance. But really I'd get both drums and new shoes if I were you. Best practice is to replace them in a set, not one at a time. They'll be good to go for another 60k.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I swapped the drum out this morning before heading to work. I didn't hear the noise on the way in but I don't think it was the issue. I'll most likely be pulling an axle here in the next few months.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts