Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friend borrowedmy new black 07 Tacoma and had to put a large, heavy, cardboard box in the bed. Unfortunately she huffed it over the side instead of dropping the tailgate and sliding it in.... now i've got a whole swath of light scratches in the clear coat on the side of my bed

any good recommends to minimize or remove these? I know they make car wax especially for black, but won't that wear away with time and the scratches will be back?

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Your best bet is to go pick up some Scratch-X or PowerPolish from autozone and just rub the scratches out. Try to rub down the length of the scratches and work the polish in until it dissapears. Regular pure car wax wont remove scratches, you need a polish for that.

Also, dont buy turtlewax rubbing/polishing compound. Alot of people use that to remove scratches and end up causing more damage b/c its like sand in a bottle

·
Registered
41 Posts
Your best bet is to go pick up some Scratch-X or PowerPolish from autozone and just rub the scratches out. Try to rub down the length of the scratches and work the polish in until it dissapears. Regular pure car wax wont remove scratches, you need a polish for that.

Also, dont buy turtlewax rubbing/polishing compound. Alot of people use that to remove scratches and end up causing more damage b/c its like sand in a bottle

Another thing is this. If you can "feel" the scratches with your finger nail, it has already gone past the clear coat and you are S.O.L.......especially on a vehicle that has a black finish. Black shows every little imperfection.
A good polish to hide "minor" scratches and act as a filler would do but remember, your not "fixing" the problem, your only 'hiding" it temporarily. Unless you want to repaint that section of your vehicle that was scratched, your going to need to spend special attention to that area with polish at the very least once a month.

When you see your friend again, kick his ***!!

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
A good polish to hide "minor" scratches and act as a filler would do but remember, your not "fixing" the problem, your only 'hiding" it temporarily.
If he cant feel it with his fingernail, then he CAN remove the swirls and stuff completely. Hiding them is only an option if the scratch is too deep, or there is a limited amount of clear.

·
Registered
417 Posts
my moms truck came with the dealer installed swirl option yes it looks crap one reason i dont like black

1 - 5 of 5 Posts