Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a local tire shop balance a set of Mickey Thompson Classic IIs. I noticed that the inside portion of several lug holes are pretty rubbed due to impact wrench. I do know that the opening for each lug is pretty tight-doesn't allow for much socket room. Am I being picky, or should they have been able to remove/remount the rims without mucking it up. I have had rims of many times and don't use air tools - no scratches.

Should I complain?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Damn right I would complain. I can say that some people at the shop where I work don't think of stuff like that. If it is a tight squeeze with the regular socket then I go get a thin wall. I try to treat other peoples cars like my own. You are going to have problems proving it but I would still complain. Also it is not so much the air tool as it is the type of socket.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I had a local tire shop balance a set of Mickey Thompson Classic IIs. I noticed that the inside portion of several lug holes are pretty rubbed due to impact wrench. I do know that the opening for each lug is pretty tight-doesn't allow for much socket room. Am I being picky, or should they have been able to remove/remount the rims without mucking it up. I have had rims of many times and don't use air tools - no scratches.

Should I complain?
pics of how bad it is might help alittle more. But yeah i would still complain, i mean you just bought them!

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
its your hard earned money, id b!tch.

in the future, might help to caution whoever is mounting your rims in the 1st place. i always do. if they say it cant be done, im out of there faster than a silent fart.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are willing to send the rims out to be refinished. Is that a polish? I wouldn't want new rims to be machined to "refinish".

·
"Rosco" Thread Derailer
5,778 Posts
KFlash, I'm with the others on this also!
There is no excuse for a "TIRE SHOP" not to have a set of alloy rim sockets.
These are special sockets that have a thinner wall with a protective plastic sleeve around the socket to prevent exactly what happened to your wheels. Snap-On, Matco and Mac all sell these sockets so for a tire shop not to have a set...........
That's all I use on my vehicles.

Refinished?
No!
If it was me, they'd be buying me a new set of rims!
JM2C

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nearing the end of my ordeal. The tire shop I went to is buying 4 new rims. The manager there was great. He admitted fault right away and took care of business. Being in a management position myself, I really appreciated the customer service I was provided. The shop stood behind the fact that they claim quality work and made good on their error. I should have the new rims on Friday. Now I just hope the correct backspacing and black side out are what I find when I pick them up-AND NO, THEY WON'T BE REMOUNTING THEM ON MY TRUCK!

Thanks for the input everyone-sometimes you think you are being too picky-I just knew I didn't need to settle for damage to my property. My dad once told me that the reason old people are grumpy, is that they are just tired of dealing with crap like this and demand perfection and good service. Nearing 40 now myself, I can totally see where that is true! LOL!

·
"Rosco" Thread Derailer
5,778 Posts
Excellent news KFlash! :tu:
Glad to hear that this company is standing by their mistake...wish more were like that!

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Nearing the end of my ordeal. The tire shop I went to is buying 4 new rims. The manager there was great. He admitted fault right away and took care of business. Now I just hope the correct backspacing and black side out are what I find when I pick them up-AND NO, THEY WON'T BE REMOUNTING THEM ON MY TRUCK!
hey man, now i know this is going to sound stupid but why are you going somplace else to have the work done? unlike most of us poor dopes that get screwed in similar situations, the majority of us never get 100% satisfaction to the tune of a new set of rims. now with that said, did you stop to consider that if the manager would make every effort to satify his customer by correcting an issue, that same manager would put his best man on the job to ensure your experience with them is a good one? after all, he is dropping some serious cha-ching on a new set of wheels. ever stop to consider he wants to keep your business as you probably own more than 1 vehicle and the fact you will brag about your experience with them to your friends. potentially means more business for them.

i deliverd pizza for several years. with the high turnover of employees we've had from time to time, every so often we would have to hire a sh!tty worker. when this pos worker botches a delivery and pisses of a customer, my boss had enough sense to replace the product for free, toss in some extras, refund the money, and put the best man on the job to redefine the customers experience with us. as long as we dodnt loose the customer, we would recoup our losses within 3 deliverys from that customer.

and i know there is the saying,"second time shame on you".

dont forget to give as much detailed wheel info to the manager as possibe. my friend once had a rim replaced and it was the wrong offsett, took him a week to notice.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey slow down pizza man! I think I said enough in my post to imply that I was very satisfied with the service I got! They will be remounting and balancing my rims/tires. Yes I am sure they will take extra care this time. What I meant by not having them remount them was the actual placing them on my truck. I had my old rims/tires on the truck for the week while waiting on the outcome. I am picking up the new set Friday and will have fun reinstalling them in my drive way. I stopped by a local Harbor Freight and picked up a set of coated lug nut sockets to protect both rim and lugs. If the shop had these I wouldn't be going through this right now! I further have reviewed DJs alignment specs with the manager who assures me his Hunter machine can hit.

PS. No offense meant by first sentence - all in good humor!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took Flashgordon's advice and bought a set of lug nut sockets that are coated with a protective covering. They protect the rims and lug nuts - which I just dropped $55 bucks for! I went cheap with a set from Harbor Freight, but for my use they will work just fine (lucked out and have a Harbor Freight near my house). There is a picture of the set in my gallery.

·
"Rosco" Thread Derailer
5,778 Posts
Glad you found those KFlash, they'll come in handy!
We have a Harbor Freight near us also, comes in handy for those "need now" tools. :D
BTW, VERY nice looking truck and bikes! :tu:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After some thought, I took a 19mm deep well socket and a piece of an old bicycle road tube and sretched it over the socket. I then took a piece of foam and pushed it into the socket. Wala - a lug socket that won't scatch rims or lugs. Guess I will keep the neat kit from Harbor Freight though. Having the right tools when you need them is half the battle!

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
no worries, sounds good. :tu: :tu:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts