Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

It's been a long time since I owned a truck with a nice big rad. Just wondering if anyone has or is going to put a screen in front of the rad to protect it from bugs clogging it up? If so, what do you use? I was thinking of using the screen that you can get for screen doors.

Or should I even bother?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've always done this, too. The Tundra (with trans cooler) looks like a few mounting tricks might be needed, but it sure keeps the riffraff out! The key is to use an open weave, aluminum screen to allow plenty of airflow through.

Jim

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've been told that it will block enough air flow to make you truck heat up more, dont know how true but something to keep in mind if you do it. maybe take it for a run then get one of those red dot thermometers and see how hot it is then put the screen in take it on the same run and check the temp again.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
First thing i did was Home Depot trip for window screen, and been on it since about 600 Miles. No problem at all for me, i just used small black wire ties and put it on the inside and it works so/so gets the bigger portions of the dead bugs but ya still get a small spray!! Gross Hugh!! TMI i know!beats all the transmission cooler/radiator from damadge from Big UGLY NM BUGS!!:clown:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
bugs will bend every fin on both radiator and tranny cooler, they will still work but tranny cooler will take majority of hits since it's first in line. Over time i could see it degrading cooler capability easily!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I've been told that it will block enough air flow to make you truck heat up more, dont know how true but something to keep in mind if you do it. maybe take it for a run then get one of those red dot thermometers and see how hot it is then put the screen in take it on the same run and check the temp again.

The trick is to use something with a more open weave than most window screens as archer has said, and do not lay it directly against the condenser. Last one I made, I was able to curve the material outward, following the contour of the grille allowing the surface area of the screen to equal about 125% of the condenser area. Screen was about 1" from the front surface of the condenser at the sides and about 4-5" at the center. A friend made one from an old fireplace tri-fold screen, ran it through his sheet metal brake, and ended up with a nice semi-rigid screen that prob had over 150% area with the zig-zags at 1.5" intervals. The more open weaves will not cause any overheating and will stop most all insects (and small pebbles) that could cause damage. Just let the gnats and no-see-um's pass right on through.

EDIT: Anyone who knows what no-see-um's are know that they deserve the wrath of the fan blade...

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
I was just talking about this today. A buddy wanted to check out the truck, he said that he likes to put wire mesh behind the grille. We used the same mesh for shrimp traps and for the bottom of animal cages small squares about 1/2in square.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
When I was a kid my dad had a Ford Galaxy 500, during love Bug season he would buy a huge green screen and tie it to the front of the car, they actually sold these by the millions :eek: it looked like hell, I wonder why they quit selling those.

·
Registered
37 Posts
May want to check with the dealer prior to screening. I you experience any problems due to heating (head gaskets, oil use etc.) and the dealer sees the screen, there could be "...you voided the warrenty..." issues.

·
Registered
764 Posts
$.75 at the local power wash and .....no more bugs :tu:
:eek: Eeek! No more radiator.

Never let a power wash spray nozzle be directed at radiators, transmission cooler or air conditioner condensers. It's a fast way to flatten the fins (thin metal edges forming the triangular air openings in the cooler), resulting in a trip to the radiator shop or two days worth of work trying to bend fins open again with a dental pick or the like. That's one of the major problems caused by coin-operated power spray nozzles (Others including blasting paint off Ford emblembs, body moldings removal and wheelwell liner damage). If using a private/commercial power washing machine (like a Hotsy) be sure there isn't a "turbo" type nozzle on the end or you could well remove paint in strips as quick as you pass the wand over your vehicle.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
The correct term is hardware cloth, comes in different opening sizes.
Cheap enough to replace as required.
On the race cars we had shaker screens that kept the clay and muck out but still allowed for air flow.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
The correct term is hardware cloth, comes in different opening sizes.

Yes, hardware cloth, which is very different from window screen. Instead of preventing bugs, it's main job is to prevent rocks from puncturing one of the heat exchangers. The spaces between the grille bars are quite large on the Tundra.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Where to you get hardware cloth? Got a picture of it installed in a vehicle? Any vehicle would be fine.

There is a local guy I used to take my car to for freon refilling. He said people came in all the time complaining about their AC not cooling enough and the engine overheating. About 95% of the time, the cause was clogged up fins on a radiator from bugs and dirt. All he did was blow compressed air from the back of the raditor through the raditor fins. All kinds of stuff would come flying out the front and the car would cool fine again. Some kind of screen on the tundra would be a good idea. Bugs and rocks in the radiator would be bad.
Hardware cloth is readly available at ACE, True Value big orange or Lowes

·
Registered
500 Posts
I just used screen mesh to protect the rads. I took off the nuts on the back side of the grille and the screws of the back side also (they lie along the bottom of the grille on the backside). I then cut the mesh and placed it over the backside of the grille so when I re-attached the nuts and screws, it would hold the mesh in place. Seems to have worked well so far. As far as overheating goes, I can't see it restricting any more air flow then a grille insert would. I have used chrome/steel inserts in the past to prevent rocks from putting a hole in the rad, and have never noticed overheating being an issue (we are often at 100 degrees + july/august).

·
Registered
42 Posts
They make a screen for keeping leaves out of rain gutters which works great for keeping materials out of the radiator and cooler. Gives the truck an 06 Tundra a custom look when installed behind the grill Available at Home Depot. high sierra

·
Registered
764 Posts
Anybody have any cooling problems with screens / HW cloth installed over the seasons?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nobody is addressing the real problem. The lousy design of the cheap molded grill. Where there is plastic, the grid is inefficient and prone to clogging and very hard to clean. then there are three huge rows of empty space a bird could squeeze through.

I took my new truck with 300 miles to San Diego and back to Phoenix and the number of big bugs and butterflies on the various cooling fins was incredible.

My solution was to saw off the the plastic grill and install a Carriage works billet grill.

The spaces are uniform and the slats are angled. I haven't had any bugs get though since.

By the way, I think the grill looks pretty cool.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i have a billet bolt over just cause it looks better than stock :) if bugs wanna get in there let em. gonna take a ton of bugs to affect anything and the carwash sprayers work just fine as long as u dont do something dumb like hold it an inch away.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts