Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this so I'll give this a try. Recently had a family friend change the timing belt pullys water pump....

When he was done he cleaned the throttle body and put something called 'sea foam' in the oil. I had no idea what this was so I looked it up. Looks like a miracle product from what everyone is saying online. Cleans out the engine and tranny I guess.

I went to the Sea Foam website and they say pour a 1/3 of a can in the intake manifold and 1/3 can in the brake line resevoir. Anyone done this and had problems? I don't know if its psychological but seems like the engine is idling better and it is very smooth. I want to give it a try in the other systems but since ya'll are pros I figured I'd better ask.:llama:I felt this was appropriate because the guy had llamas on his farm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not sure where to post this so I'll give this a try. Recently had a family friend change the timing belt pullys water pump....

When he was done he cleaned the throttle body and put something called 'sea foam' in the oil. I had no idea what this was so I looked it up. Looks like a miracle product from what everyone is saying online. Cleans out the engine and tranny I guess.

I went to the Sea Foam website and they say pour a 1/3 of a can in the intake manifold and 1/3 can in the brake line resevoir. Anyone done this and had problems? I don't know if its psychological but seems like the engine is idling better and it is very smooth. I want to give it a try in the other systems but since ya'll are pros I figured I'd better ask.:llama:I felt this was appropriate because the guy had llamas on his farm.
There are several uses for the product. I, for one, do not like the idea of adding it to crankcase oil for more than a few miles or so. It will thin the oil significantly and should only be used prior to changing your oil, not as a full-time additive.

When used the correct way Seafoam is an excellent method of cleaning carbon from the cylinders. Seafoam is a stronger version of the "Water Torture" used by a lot of tuners to get rid of predetonation. Predetonation is also referred to as "pinging" and can be caused by carbon scale buildup within the cylinder. The "edges" of the buildup get heated and detonate the mixture as compression starts but before the plugs fire. To do the treatment, You don't actually pour it in the Brake Reservoir you just use the brake booster hose as an inlet to the intake manifold. If you want to smoke out your whole neighborhood and clean a lot of the carbon scale from your valves and pistons then this will do a pretty decent job.
  1. Crank the engine and let idle
  2. Pull the brake booster line loose from the brake booster
  3. Hold the booster line about 1/4 -1/8" over the surface of the Seafoam and let it suck up about 1/3-1/2 of the bottle
  4. If the engine doesn't die on its own, shut it off and let it sit for about 30 minutes.
  5. Crank the engine and go for a "spirited drive". You will be shocked by the smoke that omes out of the truck's tail pipe. It may smoke again the next morning as well.

·
Registered
374 Posts
ive used this on all my vehicles several times and had nothing but positive results. takes about 3 minutes total and WILL smoke out the neighborhood. keeps a smile on my face every time : )

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,561 Posts

It's idling better because your throttle body/throttle plate was cleaned. And, since he added it to your oil, you will need to change it with 250 miles.

SeaFoam does not belong in your brake fluid, power steering fluid, and, expecially, do NOT put it in your transmission! It is a solvent and will, in all likelihood, dislodge any sediment buildup, transport it into a valve body and then you're really in trouble. Only clean your transmission with a metal cleaner/emulsion like Auto-Rx.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its kinda an old post, but thanks all for the feedback. Sounds like a pretty legit product. I'll prolly end up using on the other vehicles.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Seafoam is nearly all kerosene with a 5000% markup. The CEO of Seafoam must have a big grin on his face every time he deposits his $500,000 monthly pay check.

For 50 years all carmakers have warned against using kerosene in the motor oil as it is just as harmful as putting gasoline in the oil from an engine lubrication standpoint. Kerosene also deminishes the life of expensive engine seals like the rear main crankshaft seal. So if you might end up with a $2,000 bill to replace your rear main seal someday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts