Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on cars since I was 16 years old (now 42) I do everything except mounting tires and alignments out of my garage. Here's the scoop. Son takes the Echo into a 12 inch deep pothole and destroys the rim. I get a new rim from the salvage yard blast and repaint it. I take it to the local service garage and have them mount and balance a new tire. I take it to sears after mounting it myself and tell them I need an alignment and to balance and rotate the remaining tires minus the new one put on two days ago. I watch as they do the alignment no problem. He then simply rotates the tires and starts to put the wheel covers on. I call the manager over and tell him the guys not balancing the tires as I am paying for. He looks at me and says they all were balanced and didnt need adjustment. I get in a bit of heated discussion and tell him a human cant tell if a tires balanced simply by pulling it. He walks over and the mechanic looks through the window and gives me a dirty look. He then walks over to the Hunter and balances the tires including the new one which I didnt authorize. The mechanic then tells me whoever mounted the new tire never put weights on it and in neeeded 16 yes 16 ounces to balance. I told him he was crazy because the rim would be bent if it took that much and that I knew it had weights because I put it on the car. The manager tells me I have to pay the 11.25 for the rim that I know didnt need balancing. I told him no problem. I will immediately pull the wheel cover and use my cell phone to photgraph the 16 ounces of weights and to look for the fresh paint on the rim being scraped from where they claimed no wieghts were. They walk away and he comes back and says "no charge " for the tire . I get the car outside and there is still the original wieght on the front 1/2 ounce and nothing on the backside. I asked him to come out and show me where the remaining 15.5 ounce weights were and he said they were too busy.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i'd be for sending that to a corporate email/contact for sears. i had a small run in (not as blatant as yours) with National Tire and Battery, and when i got home i emailed from their website that night and the next morning at 10am i was getting a phone call from the local store manager. Seems when corporate calls and says hey you pisssed someone off...they listen. good luck and yeah, people suck. and 99.999999 percent of the customers tehre probaly get treated the same way and dont get anything done even though they pay for it.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
and my god..can u imagine how much vibration a car would have with a pound of lead weights hanging on a rim? hahah

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Well if you run the 30" wheels on an echo, you got to expect that much weight.
I've been balancing tires for over 3 decades and have never used that much weight even on damaged tires. At more than 2 oz. they should have stopped and figured out what was wrong. I would have not bothered with balancing the other 3 unless there was a vibration.
Most people like to get their car done on the weekend when it is more convenient for them but usually that is when their real mechanics are off. Better to take your vehicle in during the weekdays.

Maybe it is time for you to get your own balancer

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah Actually I'm running the 33 inch wheels off my Old Tundra:D I was looking at purchasing the Hunter GSP9600 but that would mean I'd have to get rid of my blasting cabinet so I had somewhere to put it. I'm sure the investment would pay for itself in about a century or so.LOL

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Balancers come in all price ranges. I have my own and it has long been paid for. But if you want to buy the expensive stuff, I'll help out and "store" your blasting equipment. I've only have a hopper unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts