Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back off vacation today. First time in Vegas so don't ask what happened.....it stays there. :D

I had my seats recovered while i was gone with synthetic leather. The local company, which has been in business for more than 40 years, did not even want me to consider real leather. They swear by the synthetic stuff. According to them it will last at least twice as long without the cracking, splitting etc.... and cost considerably less. The tan part in the middle is perforated but probably won't show up in the pictures.

The reason i went this route is because I installed a power drivers seat and it needed recovering anyway and I wanted a unique look and couldn't find a dark brown to match the dark brown dash etc... The colors are pretty darn close. Not perfect but close. I also had Sweet Mercy stitched in the headrests because that's what's on my plates, again just another unique touch.

I've attached a few before and after pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
820 Posts
Looks way better! I have cloth now and will fix and recover once worn out. How much did it run you?

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! $250 per seat out the door.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I don't like synthetic leather. But, I LOVE that color combination!!! Looks amazing in the sand beige interior :tu:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I don't like synthetic leather. But, I LOVE that color combination!!! Looks amazing in the sand beige interior :tu:
yeah im not into pleather or vinyl seats either but great color choices.....

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure about the choice of material either. Time will tell. Had leather in a Honda Accord a few years back and to be honest, it was okay, but I can't say I loved it.

I am pleased with the way the colors turned out. It looks great inside the truck. I must have talked to 10 or more people about colors and style before deciding. It's supposed to be low 90's and humid today so it will be a good "heat" test for my backside with that type of seat.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Well, I definitely think it will last longer than leather - especially the junk stock "leather" in these trucks.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I once was a leather guy but I've got to admit that synthetic leathers are probably superior for a truck. After having Leatherette (synthetic) in my Jetta, I'm not really not sure that I would want real leather again. People were always getting in that car and making compliments about the nice tan "leather". I've owned 2 other real leather interior vehicles since then and they all seemed to show premature wear on the bolsters (I use Lexol cleaner/conditioner). Light colored leather will also stain. These were on a Honda and Toyota, but maybe Lexus uses a better leather :confused:.

-Wes

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
im lucky i guess...on my tundra we have the port installed leather and not the leather that comes on the limited....the limited leather is for sure softer and probally will wear sooner, the leather in my truck is a stiffer, "harder", larger grain type of leather i guess...more like the leather in our benz (they offered a MBTex, aka synthetic leather standard but i cant stand the thought of sitting on fake leather), the benz's seats show absolutely no wear at all after 50k miles...even the bolsters arent squished down...of course its alot firmer than the Tundra's bolsters too...but my tundra stays clean and no wear showing at all either, so far....at 45k miles....but GM's ive had in the past would start showing wear almost immediately....my vette was horrible....softer plusher leather aint always the best choice...

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I will not install anything except Katzkin. I'm sure there are other good companies out there, like Classic Soft Trim, but my experience with Katz have just blown everything else out of the water (IMO).

·
Registered
404 Posts
I will not install anything except Katzkin. I'm sure there are other good companies out there, like Classic Soft Trim, but my experience with Katz have just blown everything else out of the water (IMO).
I would actually consider Katzkin; I've heard good things about them and I've even heard that they are higher quality than most OEM leather. Has anyone compared the Clazzio offered by TRD Sparks to Katzkin? I'd be curious to see how they compare.

-Wes

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Colors look great! For $250 per seat though, I will definitely be going Clazzio or Katzkin........

Points sent for a great change!

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's my inital obersavation of the new seats for anyone considering something similar. To set the stage, it was 92 and humid here yesterday and 91 today. I drove the truck a lot the last two days.

Cons: My back felt a little more hot than with the cloth. I was expecting my bottom would, but it didn't. To this point, I have nothing else negative to say.

Pros: Much more soft and supple compared to the cloth. I do not slip or slide like I thought I might. My legs, I wore shorts, did not "stick" to the seat after sitting for a while behind the wheel--I figured they would with it being so hot and humid. The material did not get hot even after being in direct sunlight for a few hours. I really thought it would be hot to the touch but it only felt warm. Overall, the seats are much softer and more confortable than the cloth and should be easier to keep clean. I showed the truck to 3 car guys yesterday and they all thought it was real leather even after sitting in the truck. Not sure if there are different quality synthetics on the market but so far, this seems to be high quality stuff. I'll report back after a few weeks and if I find other things I don't like, I'll certainly report it.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
FWIW the sante fe we were given from the in laws has Classic Soft Trim leather installed back in 2001, 157k miles on the car now and the fronts look like the backs (didnt take a pic of the front seats)....no wear that shows and they are still soft and comfy...not too bad out of what i would imagine being an inexpensive grade material, afterall it was installed at hyunai dealer in a hyundai...

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I would actually consider Katzkin; I've heard good things about them and I've even heard that they are higher quality than most OEM leather. Has anyone compared the Clazzio offered by TRD Sparks to Katzkin? I'd be curious to see how they compare.

-Wes
not comparing apples to apples...clazzios are plastic (PVC) with a leather option for the center part, but mostly still plastic. adn they are a slip on cover not actual seat upholstery like kat's are...katzkin is what most dealers use for aftermarket leather installed...not all, but alot of them nowadays seem to. even Ford has it listed in the accessory section of all their brochures...plus they have a ton more options on colors and styles to fit any interior and match any interior...no having to settle for "close".

oh and TK, 250 a seat aint bad at all for custom seat upholstery...much better than spending alot of money on slip on covers (clazzios).

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
dam im slow. just looked closely at the pics, u didnt get the console done while it was there??? so you have two vinyl seats and a cloth seat in the middle?? odd....

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
FWIW the sante fe we were given from the in laws has Classic Soft Trim leather installed back in 2001, 157k miles on the car now and the fronts look like the backs (didnt take a pic of the front seats)....no wear that shows and they are still soft and comfy...not too bad out of what i would imagine being an inexpensive grade material, afterall it was installed at hyunai dealer in a hyundai...

VERY NICE!

not comparing apples to apples...clazzios are plastic (PVC) with a leather option for the center part, but mostly still plastic. adn they are a slip on cover not actual seat upholstery like kat's are...katzkin is what most dealers use for aftermarket leather installed...not all, but alot of them nowadays seem to. even Ford has it listed in the accessory section of all their brochures...plus they have a ton more options on colors and styles to fit any interior and match any interior...no having to settle for "close".

oh and TK, 250 a seat aint bad at all for custom seat upholstery...much better than spending alot of money on slip on covers (clazzios).
Just a misunderstanding, I am not saying that $250 is a lot considering it is custom seat upholstery, just that $300-$400 total for an upgrade for me is better than over $1,000. I would rather use the other $600-$850 for other mods......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts