Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on getting my truck linexed, but now am having second thoughts

I like the look of linex, and like how it seals the bed. If I lift up my drop-in, I can see where the paint has worn off :(

However, I do have a tonneau on my bed, so the only part that would normally be seen is the bed rails (I would do over the rails).

I am having second thoughts because while it would look so much better, I don't really haul anything with my truck and it will just be sitting in a parking lot while I am at college. If I don't get the linex, I will probably spend the money on bed rail caps, new headlight housings (mine look like crap), and a variety of other things for the truck.

So what do you think? Is it worth it to get the linex, or should I hold off and get other stuff?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I personally prefer the drop in. OK, they rub off the paint in a few places. So? If that bedliner is always in the truck, that's all that will happen. A few small shiney spots. That you can't see. Now, whack that bedliner floor with a sledge hammer. What happens. Nothing. Nada. No damage. Walk over to the Linexed truck and whack it. You now have a dent in the bed...........
I sold Duraliners/AllStar drop ins wholesale for 10 years and we added spray in liners for local installation about the last 5 of those years. Those spray in liner folks have REALLY done a good sales job. On an inferior product if you really use your truck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a 1996 Chevy Silverado before my Tundra and it too had a drop in bed liner. When I was getting ready to sell it I had taken the bed liner out and could not believe the amount of crap up underneath it! As for the amount of paint rubbed off I would have to say about 70% all the high spots were worn to shinny metal. My only issue was that back by the tailgate it started to rust, but I live in WI and did not have a garage to park it in. The winter road salt killed it. I also had a fiberglass tonnaeu put on, a Snugtop. They cut the bed linner below the rails to get a good seal. I think getting the spray in liner will not allow the tannaeu cover to seal and you will get leaks.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
If you're going to be away at college, forget the Line-X and save your money. If your truck doesn't work for a living then Line-X is just a conversation starter.

My truck had a drop in liner when I bought it new. And while the liner was tough as nails the darn thing rattled when driving. I discovered early that even closing the door caused the liner to rattle. A minor annoyance to most but this eventually got on my nerves. Plus the darn thing was slick to walk on so I had mine Line-Xed. I am happy with the Line-X liner as most of my hauling is lightweight and confined to lumber, fence posts, fertilizer, shovels and such for occasional farm use and has held up well.

As another commented, dent protection is compromised with this approach however if your truck is more transportation than actually earning it's keep then Line-X would be a low priority.

ProTecta rubber bed mats might be worth a look and they could even deaden sound on such a large expanse of sheet metal. BedRug synthetic carpeting is another product on the list of possibles. The bed mat and BedRug are much more economical alternatives if you decide to deep six the liner.

If rust is not a problem yet, keep what you have and monitor the condition of the bed periodically. Your wallet will thank you. And good luck with college my friend, it will turn out to be your most treasured investment.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I kinda like the smooth surface the drop ins offer. It's easy to slide heavy items around. They have to be secured anyways, so might as well make loading/unloading easy.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I kinda like the smooth surface the drop ins offer. It's easy to slide heavy items around. They have to be secured anyways, so might as well make loading/unloading easy.
I totally agree with that. I have line x and the only thing I wish I had done was ask them to smooth it just a little on the high points of the ribs. It's nice not to have things slide around but that stuff is like crazy glue. If they had smothed it out just a bit I might have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Maybe just me, but I'd take a hard coating spray on bedliner like Line X (Not Rhino Linings as they are soft and inferior IMO) any day over a drop in liner. I've had drop in liners many times before and bottom line is you will get rust under the liner eventually. The liner rubs the paint off and rubs and worst off, it collects salt, dirt and debris underneath the liner.

My truck is a hard coating spray on lining just like Line X and IMO it's simply mandatory equipment for any truck. They should come with that coating applied from the factory.

Now I don't have rocks, gravel, or heavy machinery back there. If I did, I'd slap a 8 x 4 sheet of plywood back there first. I don't think our boxes are really designed for that type of use anyways as Tundras are fairly light duty trucks anyways.

Any any money you slip into a spayed on bedliner now will be made up at resale time anyways. The only X factor here is the fact the writer is in college. I know money is tight for college students. But if you have the extra dough and plan to keep the truck awhile, then it is worth it -- almost mandatory equipment IMO.

Just my $.02!!!!!!

Mike

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Keep your cash. If you don't use your bed you don't need a liner.
As far as the bed caps, there is a thread about restoring them, I did it with the Rustoleum spray paint bed liner and it came out better than new. No more gray color, no more itchy crap, no more chaulky residue. It cost me bout $30 in paint/sand paper. If I did it again I'd use Duplicolor adhesion promoter first. It stuck fine but I got one small chip from hauling a 50gal water heater that just had to bounce around. Search for "restore your bed caps" or restore your bedrails, I forget what the thread was called. I did go a step further, but I wont release those photos or info until I'm done. :D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
my vote is for the herculiner. the liner collects water and breeds rust over time. Herculiner is a great product (put it on my Tacoma) and it fairly easy to install in one day. for under $100 and a days worth of work, you have something that will work similar to a Line-x job for your needs and doesnt cost all that much

1 - 11 of 11 Posts