Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so don't get mad or upset with what I'm about to say, I'm really just trying to figure this out for myself. I really like the CM and in all probability will get it near the end of the year, but I was curious after seeing a friends Dodge how a comparable truck would cost. Well, I priced out a 2500 MC 6.7L Diesel with a 6-speed auto tranny. It has a 6'3" box, 4WD and a number of the same goodies. Keep in mind this is a 3/4 ton diesel. It priced out retail at about $44K (the Toyota CM came to about $45K), but online, I get almost $10K off of the Dodge (and my friend said I could probably do even $2K to $3K better than that if I find a place where the trucks are sitting on the lot)! That means $34K (possibly even as low as $31K to $32K) for a well-optioned 3/4 ton Diesel with a standard bed.
Now, I'm not going to argue quality or anything like that though I've had a Toyota and my parents have had Dodges. Neither of them had problems. My concern is, even with the "dated" look of the interior of the Dodge, functionally it is still offering much of what I require in a truck and it is giving way more capability in terms of brute payload and towing strength. I'll be using it as a daily driver, so it definitely is overkill for me in the short-term, though I'll be using more of its capability in a few years. Question is, as much as I love the Toyota, do you think it is worth the extra $12K - $13K (probably only $8K after getting a deal on the CM from Toyota) to get the Tundra? The interior differences alone are well worth it I know, but actually physically parting with that money is making me think twice. Anybody have thoughts on this? Any former/current Dodge owners have any opinions one way or another?

·
Registered
621 Posts
In my book, Dodge is one of the worst vehicles someone could own. That is with the sole exception being a new Viper. Now those are nice. I wouldn't touch any other vehicle that had Dodge on it. Just my own feelings and I realize there are a lot of Dodge fans out there but I am probably never going to be one.

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
I'm looking at the same dilema. I'd rather have a diesel and overall, the Dodge will do a lot more work than the Toyota.

They are the same price. Go drive that new 6.7 w/ the 6 speed auto. It is amazing!

I am not sure what I am going to do. In Coloardo Springs, they are offering 8k off any Ram on the lot, but I will wait for gas to go up some more. Maybe August is a good time to really deal, but the incentives on the Dodge truck are very attractive.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I spent some time looking at the options myself and the CM was always more expensive than anything else that came close. It's not really a good comparison, but I looked at a new F450 diesel crew cab dually for 55k. That really made me think, it was much more truck for like 10k more. Of course mine is loaded and I'm not sure what was in the ford as it was out of my price range and had to walk away. Not really a daily driver type of vehicle either.

Anyway, when it came down to it the Tundra kept drawing me back in. I knew it was what I really wanted and if I'm going to drive something for 7-10 years I'm not going to settle. Now that I have it I have absolutely no 2nd thoughts.

Maybe you can get a Dodge dealer to let you take a similar truck for a day or two. You can't really tell anything from just a test drive. Just tell them you have a Tundra ordered and think the Dodge may be a better deal, they may just trip over themselves trying to help you.

I had a Ford dealer let me borrow an F150 demo for a weekend while they were working out the details on an F250 I was thinking about buying. I felt bad though, I put about 800 miles on it and found the F350 we bought from a private owner. Oh well, it was their idea.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
First of all, I don't think anyone here should be allowed to have second thoughts until the rest of us get to have our first thoughts. :mad:

There's no question that a CrewMax is more expensive than a Dodge MegaCab. The Dodge might even be a better value. For the most part, I'm making the switch from Ram to Tundra because I'm driving an 02 Ram right now. Were this 2009 when the new series of Ram are due, this might be a more difficult decision. I'm also fortunate, right now, that I can afford the price differential for a Toyota. If I were buying strictly on value, however, I might make a different decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My husband just got his '07 6.7 Ram and it's really a nice truck without a doubt. I figure he'll do the towing and I'll do the hauling....so I guess it depends on your needs.

Last weekend I was followed by a Ram deisel and when I stopped, he pulled over also to get a look at my Tundra and ask how I liked it.

Of course the Tundra got the rave review!! :tu:

·
Registered
64 Posts
My advice to you is to read all the publised reports for all the major brands of pick ups in reference to customer satisfaction, quality and safety. Toyota leaves the others in the dust on all three topics. In fact if I remember correctly, Dodge was last in all catagories. My main reason for buying Toyta ( apart from previous experience ) was the safety factor as my wife drives it regularly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am a loyal dodge/toyota owner - my whole family are loyal dodge owners - but the uncertainty of what Daimler is going to do with Dodge because of lackluster profits worried me - I've heard Nissan is interested in getting the line for the heavy duty trucks/minivans. That being the main point and the second was that the two dodge dealerships that I always went to treated me like crap and it got worse after I traded my 1500 in for the tundra and went back to cancel my extended warranty :(. I love my DC and it does everything that I need it to do without any problems:). I get 15 mpg right now and I didn't get close to that with my 1500 hemi. My father and brother have dodge 2500 diesels and both had the computers replaced, motor mounts break, brake calipers crack and break....etc. My father's truck has been in the shop more than in the garage and he still loves it. I still own a dakota but I stopped trusting dodge products and tried Nissan and Toyota before I bought my DC.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My advice to you is to read all the publised reports for all the major brands of pick ups in reference to customer satisfaction, quality and safety. Toyota leaves the others in the dust on all three topics. In fact if I remember correctly, Dodge was last in all catagories. My main reason for buying Toyta ( apart from previous experience ) was the safety factor as my wife drives it regularly.
Yeah, I have done a lot of that already. Ironically, though Dodge lacks in some respects in terms of the interior being technologically up-to-date, lackluster resale value, etc., they seem, by most comparisons to have the best diesel engines on the market. It is a little weird, but even trying to find a used diesel made by Dodge is almost impossible. They're picked up pretty quickly and their owners swear by them and don't let them go. I'm not saying they are the most capable or anything like that, but they seem to be superior to other diesels in terms of dependability and certainly owners are pretty loyal to them.
So, it is kind of this mish-mash of stuff, on the one hand, there is a definite down-grade in terms of interior appointments and the like, on the other hand, the diesels have a huge following and seem to be quite dependable and command the loyalty and respect of their owners.
My main points against it have to do with how I'll use the truck. It would be nice to be able to haul 2 tons of gravel in the back when needed, but realistically, I'll be commuting to work way more than doing that. Also, parking at home and doing errands is going to be a real exercise in the Dodge. Backing out will be a more faithful enterprise I imagine.
So, it may be that it is a better value for capability and such, but I may not use the added value much. That is the dilemma. I do like having the option of the large bed though... that is a definite plus. But like others have said here, everytime I see and get in the new Tundra, it really does bring a smile to my face! Just not sure if that smile is going to cost me an extra $10K now or not...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Alright, so don't get mad or upset with what I'm about to say, I'm really just trying to figure this out for myself. I really like the CM and in all probability will get it near the end of the year, but I was curious after seeing a friends Dodge how a comparable truck would cost. Well, I priced out a 2500 MC 6.7L Diesel with a 6-speed auto tranny. It has a 6'3" box, 4WD and a number of the same goodies. Keep in mind this is a 3/4 ton diesel. It priced out retail at about $44K (the Toyota CM came to about $45K), but online, I get almost $10K off of the Dodge (and my friend said I could probably do even $2K to $3K better than that if I find a place where the trucks are sitting on the lot)! That means $34K (possibly even as low as $31K to $32K) for a well-optioned 3/4 ton Diesel with a standard bed.
Now, I'm not going to argue quality or anything like that though I've had a Toyota and my parents have had Dodges. Neither of them had problems. My concern is, even with the "dated" look of the interior of the Dodge, functionally it is still offering much of what I require in a truck and it is giving way more capability in terms of brute payload and towing strength. I'll be using it as a daily driver, so it definitely is overkill for me in the short-term, though I'll be using more of its capability in a few years. Question is, as much as I love the Toyota, do you think it is worth the extra $12K - $13K (probably only $8K after getting a deal on the CM from Toyota) to get the Tundra? The interior differences alone are well worth it I know, but actually physically parting with that money is making me think twice. Anybody have thoughts on this? Any former/current Dodge owners have any opinions one way or another?

In Feb, I traded in a 2004 cummins for my 2007 dc Tundra. I loved the brute capabilities of the dodge, especially the cummins. I averaged 17 non towing mpgs, and the only trouble I ever had was at 36 k the power steering pump was replaced under warranty. I used to have gm trucks and the dodge was much more trouble free. If you want brute force, and the ability to dump a couple of tons of gravel in the bed, its the truck for you.
However, trying to park that thing is a true pain. I find my tundra much more nimble and much more fun to drive. My mileage is about the same as my diesel was. I like that. Also, the ride with the 3/4 ton was much harsher...I used to put about 300 pounds of bagged gravel to make it ride better. The tundra's ride much better...they just feel more nimble.

have fun.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The price differential on the Dodge alone is very attractive. However, down the road with the resale, they will more than likely even out. cars.com has a list of truck resale, and also the Tundra is the only pickup listed on J.D.Powers top ten resale vehicles (obviously these are pre '07 vehicles).

All that being said, if you need the payload of a 3/4 ton (1300lb + camper, heavy hauling for work etc.), I would buy the Dodge. If not........................

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
I looked at the others, but it was impossible to find NAV, so I went with the tundy. Also it's a toyoter...I know that I won't be stranded.

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
I used to own a Tundra and now own a Dodge, but only because Toyota did not build a 3/4 ton and my needs requireed a work horse not a "Lexus" like Pickup. If you do not require a 3/4 ton then I would not recommend buying one. If you require to tow more than 7k lbs and need payload for more than 1,500lbs then you might want to consider a a 3/4 ton. The Cummins Diesel in 6.7 is SWEET with 350HP and 650TQ getting 18mpg to 20mpg on the freeway that will tow 14klbs and haul a payload of 2,500lbs is tough to beat. Cummins IMO is the best diesel available as it's a Medium Duty engine and the Duramax and Powerstroke are Light Duty engines. Remember with the 3/4 ton the ride will be very bouncy and not as "Lexus" like with the Tundra. Plus maintenance cost are double for the diesel. My oil changes are $80 every 5k miles, but you can go 7.5k miles depending on driving and $75 for fuel filter changes every 10k miles. The other nice thing about a 3/4 ton Dodge is that it has a solid front axle so it's tougher!!! :D

·
Registered
585 Posts
No offense taken, as I was considering the same choice for about 3 month. The Dodge Cummins MegaCabs I looked at were running about $44K as you mentioned. In my area, they were selling for invoice at the time, or about $40K. Dodge was offering a $3K rebate bringing the cost to $37K. That’s a nice $7K discount. Now, add tax and license to that and you back up to about $40K,
Contrary to the “high price Tundra myth” that’s been going around, CrewMax’s are not $44K. Yes, it’s possible to build one that high on line, but that’s not the mainstream CMax folks are buying. DEALER INVOICE on a SR5 CMax 2WD with the 5.7 V8 is $28K and change. I bought mine for $900 over invoice. Add slightly under 10% for tax and license. You can do the math. If you talking a Tundra Limited, then the gap between the two trucks is smaller.
I doubt seriously you can get the Dodge out the door for $34K (certainly not 31-32K) but check it out and see. Anyway I looked at it, the Dodge was still $7-8K more, plus you’ve got the added cost of maintenance on a diesel and diesel fuel was higher in my area at the time, that’s changing though. Finally, I was not thrilled about driving a diesel around every day when not towing, so that factored in to my decision too.

Go to some Dodge dealers and get some real world quotes and then make your decision. I think you’ll find the Dodge is still quite a bit higher.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I don't think price is really the issue here. If you really want or need a 3/4 ton diesel heavy duty truck then by all means buy it. If all you want or need is a 1/2 ton then consider those. If what you want is a Toyota 1/2 ton truck then you know what to get and it cost more.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No offense taken, as I was considering the same choice for about 3 month. The Dodge Cummins MegaCabs I looked at were running about $44K as you mentioned. In my area, they were selling for invoice at the time, or about $40K. Dodge was offering a $3K rebate bringing the cost to $37K. That’s a nice $7K discount. Now, add tax and license to that and you back up to about $40K,
Contrary to the “high price Tundra myth” that’s been going around, CrewMax’s are not $44K. Yes, it’s possible to build one that high on line, but that’s not the mainstream CMax folks are buying. DEALER INVOICE on a SR5 CMax 2WD with the 5.7 V8 is $28K and change. I bought mine for $900 over invoice. Add slightly under 10% for tax and license. You can do the math. If you talking a Tundra Limited, then the gap between the two trucks is smaller.
I doubt seriously you can get the Dodge out the door for $34K (certainly not 31-32K) but check it out and see. Anyway I looked at it, the Dodge was still $7-8K more, plus you’ve got the added cost of maintenance on a diesel and diesel fuel was higher in my area at the time, that’s changing though. Finally, I was not thrilled about driving a diesel around every day when not towing, so that factored in to my decision too.

Go to some Dodge dealers and get some real world quotes and then make your decision. I think you’ll find the Dodge is still quite a bit higher.
Honestly, I really can get a well-equipped 3/4 ton Dodge 2500 Diesel for just under $35K (before TTL) before I even haggle. That sounds strange, I know, but there is a current $3500 customer rebate, dealerships are taking anywhere between $5K and $8K off the top without much argument. This is a configured online price, so it isn't even me calling for a discount or anything.
As others have mentioned, whether I really use the 3/4 ton capability is questionable. For the first couple of years, most likely not, but after that, there is a good chance that (in particular) the increased payload capability (close to 4,000 lbs on the Dodge) will actually come in quite handy. A former colleague of mine suggested that I just get a trailer at that time and use it for hauling gravel and the like if I need to get a substantial amount. That isn't a bad idea and that would make things a little easier in terms of what I use for a daily driver as parking, etc. will definitely be easier with the Tundra.
I guess I have more thinking to do on this. I could see myself making it work with either solution. I just cringe when I see the difference in the interiors though -- hands down that is the biggest selling point of the Tundra for me. I like how it is put together and all of the little storage areas are extremely handy (works better than throwing things on the passenger's seat).
I guess I'll do a search on some trailers and see what is available and what kind of expense to expect. I see landscaping guys do that all the time -- they get these small trucks and pull a long trailer with riding mowers, wheelbarrows, tools, and bags of grass and mulch. I could use something that has walls that are more "closed" and can carry hardwood, tools, and sand/gravel... :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
I did a ton of test drives with the Dodge 3/4ton diesel and the Tundra. The dodge turning radius has been DRAMATICALLY improved from just a year or so. It is on par with my new truck. The power is incredible, and they have definately quieted the diesel sound down to nothing. Almost annoyingly non-diesel sounding now! I've driven and ridden in a Dodge many times, and find it a very, very nice truck. The interior is plastic looking, but at the same time, it is a work truck...not a livingroom. The brakes seem very repeatable, and I power-stopped a demo...straight and true. Not bad at all.

If I hauled 7000lb plus trailers I would have gotten the Ram, and at a much cheaper price....maybe $5-6k less for the same features...but the Tundra is a nice livingroom on wheels, that will pull my 3000lb trailer effortlessly. I've pulled a massive loaded 3axle toy hauler (hitch) and the dodge was effortless.

However: Dodge dealers around here are all "Old-school" greasy haired monkeys that play the "4-square" game and treat you like crap. I don't need that hassle, and would be afraid to use the warranty with such underhanded used car salesmen. The Toyota dealership worked out my details over the phone. No issues, no haggling. One person walked me thru the ENTIRE process. Not once was I handed off to a finance person or a "manager."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts