Toyota Tundra Forums banner

secondary air pump questions

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Despized 
#1 ·
Just wondering what exactly a secondary air pump does, what it looks like and where is it located on my truck. Course I have the 4.7 and believe I read where I've been blessed with 2 while the 5.7 only have 1. Anyone know the answers to these question's along with some pictures if possible. Thanks in advance for any info.

#5 ·
[QUOTE Paranoid eh? :biggrin1:[/QUOTE]

naw, the fact that I live below sea level, where a summer storm means a commute threw nasty polluted storm water with a ticky 4200$ pump with a couple hundred snap wire connections connected to 3 computers pumping nasty hot humid salt air into my exhaust so as to make sure we burn all the hydrocarbons in my exhaust makes perfectly good sense to me.:Dwouldn't want to pollute the air.:eek:

#6 ·
jsut get the extended warranty and dont worry about it. i already called and verified my warranty coverage since i just hit 36k miles and im too lazy to dig out the papers....im good for many many many more miles....with 50 dollar dedictible, toyota warranty, so im gooood. mine can crap out for all i care as long as it doesnt take forever to get the parts and repairs done haha.

#8 ·
no its not in the cab.

#10 ·
well its not a 4200 dollar pump....its a pump that lists for 1112.40. if u have two (the catalog shows two for us 4.7's and only 1 for the 5.7s but who knows) then double that plus the labor.... so its an 1100 dollar pump. does that make u feel better?

oh and someone on here posted where his was cause he took his out and cleaned it...

heres the thread...

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/181377-air-induction-pump/

#12 ·
5.7 Does have 2 pumps under the right front fender well behind splash sheild. If it is the same air pumps that you are talking about. I have a 4.7 also but never looked for the air pumps. I do know that the valves for the pump are on the side of the engine vs under the intake manifold. They are expensive I choose to rebuild mine when it went bad. It only went bad cause I put fiberglass fenders and do alot of offroading.

#13 ·
are the 5.7 ones identical? i wonder if thats why they dont specify right and left in the parts catalog like they do with the 4.7. us 4.7 must have one on each side.

#14 ·
correct! it is sold as a single unit with 2 pumps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.