Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT: Issue resolved below...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a fiberglass ARE LSII tonneau cover on my Tundra. Today whilst parked in front of the TX DPS office, someone most probably tried to break into my tonneau cover. There was no damage, but apon further inspection I've uncovered a serious issue over how this thing locks up.

1. Locked in fully closed position:

2. Locked, but there is still some play/rotation, this is how far you can turn it with it still locked (I can see this in the rearview and thus this tipped me off):

3. Fully closed:

4. How it looks when handle is oriented in position #2:

5. The plastic stop for the locking rod, uncovered. The tonneau rail on which it is mounted is made of plastic and allows for play/rotation of this stop:

Obviously the bastard knew this and was successful in getting the left side rod above the stop (pictured), but not the right side. Furthermore the rails are fairly flexible, so that entire plastic stop has even more play to allow forcing the rod past it.

My current plan is as follows:
-Replace the plastic stop with a hardened metal bracket/block of slightly longer length (not pictured, but in the unlocked position there is a huge gap, more room for the bracket/stop to be extended)
-Add support bracketry and/or additional screws to stiffen up the plastic rail (drill another hole in the bed metal)
-Modify the latch/lock assembly so there is no play in the handle when locked (currently no known solution)
I'm going to obviously run some of this by ARE in case they already have a solution.

Thoughts? Obviously a really motivated thief is unstoppable, but anything is an improvement at this point.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I take back everything I said about this tonneau cover. All the adjustment needed to make this thing more secure was provided from the get go. The rods were both height and length adjustable, those rod stops were installed incorrectly (flipped 180*) by the installer, and I was able to "stiffen" them by relocating the bed rail clamps to sit right next to them. All of this was accomplished with nothing more than a couple of allen keys.

If you must have a solid fiberglass cover, the amount of adjustment provided is reason enough to go with ARE. Paired with a bump sensor/switch to trigger the alarm, this would definitely be one of the best fiberglass options from a security standpoint. Granted, if you're worried about carrying high value tools under a tonneau full time, consider going with a solid or retractable metal cover with a barrel lock.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Good points.. I have the exact cover on mne and I have had it a year now. It has about setteled down, but for the longest i was adjusting it every week using the stops on the bed rails to try and keep it from moving so much. Did you have those problems? I am going to look at mine closed and locked tomorrow to see how much are length i have at full lock. Other than has been a great addition. Fixing to install the super charger so i have to go back and make sure everything is snug

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.