Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been dealing with this for a while, seeing rust chips on the rear bumper and hearing stuff in the rear gate bouncing around when closing.
Found both rear window rails rusting away (69930-0C020 and 69904-0C020). Replacing wasn't all that difficult, took about 1.5 hrs.
Also replaced (69806-0C010) which is a slide guide "roller" that goes with driver's side rail.
Glad i replaced these before they completely failed.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
That right there is exactly why I take all my vehicles in to get sprayed yearly with a rust inhibitor. They have the tools to get into all doors and rockers with pressurized sprayers and coat even the things you cant see. You might want to go buy a few aerosol cans of rust inhibitor yourself and spray your replacement parts before they start looking like the old ones

Reactions: DvCnt and Tekem

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was rear ended by a Mercedes going at 50mph while i was stopped at a light. She moved our truck 20 feet forward while her Mercedes was crumpled up and dug into the pavement. Because she hit the frame primarily, the rear door was only damaged and as part of the repair was replaced. So everything looks pretty new back there and i havent seen any rust like that despite the truck being 18 years old..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Rust like that is very common for those of us that live in the salt belt. Not saying that's where the OP is from but if thats where you live, it only makes sense to protect your investment.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That right there is exactly why I take all my vehicles in to get sprayed yearly with a rust inhibitor. They have the tools to get into all doors and rockers with pressurized sprayers and coat even the things you cant see. You might want to go buy a few aerosol cans of rust inhibitor yourself and spray your replacement parts before they start looking like the old ones
I started using this rp-342 product and it is really, really good. Anything else i did just flaked off after a while. But this stuff stays on. And its incredibly water resistant and has mitigated rust from forming whenever ive sprayed it so far. I just spray a couple of layers after 4 hours of drying in between. I originally bought it for my Sequoia, but will use on all my cars now. Its usually sold individually or in packs in multiples of 3.
41AellAtRYL._SX466_.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Yup, paints make thinks look nice but you need a preventative like that. I take my vehicles here. Lots of stuff I diy but this is just too hard to do myself and get it everywhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts