Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although my truck still seems pretty quick, as explained by my whipping I put on the chevy 5.3L, I seem to have noticed a loss of power over the years.

I have always taken great care of my truck, but I don't know what could be the cause.

Before, I could spin the tires easily by giving it some gas, now I really have to try, and most times can't get them going.

What could be the cause and what can I do to restore some of the power?

Could it indeed be the K&N intake causing some?

from what I can remember, I took the intake out a while ago and put the stock back in, but there was no noticeable difference, so I switched back to the K&N.

I really want to get this thing running like a champ again!!!!

·
Registered
756 Posts
If it were me depending on mileage, I'd change all the fluids, new plugs, new paper filter with a clean maf sensor and throttle body, new fuel filter and see what happens. After that if you still feel like there's a loss somewhere do a compression check of each cylinder. Headers seem to be the best way to get her breathing correctly. I have 71,000 miles now but I'll be doing all of this to my 05 next year, along with the timing belt and water pump. just my $.02.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 73,xxx miles on the clock.
The only fluids due for change are coolant and probably differential and tranny soon too.
I been changing my oil every 3000 miles like normal using mobil 1.
Just recently changed plugs from boch platnum +4 (eww) back to denso's as well as changed the o2 sensors.
Ive cleaned my MAF and throttle body plate maybe a year ago.
Also I run Lucas oils fuel system cleaner and upper cylinder lube every so often.
I have a K&N FIPK not the drop in, and i clean the filter twice a year maybe.
Still on original timing belt, serpintine belt and water pump.
I am still on the original fuel filter
There shouldn't be any compression issues as far as I know because the mileage isn't high and Ive always taken care of it.
However, I have heared the tick tick tick noise when driving next to a wall... I don't know if that is a leak in the exhaust or just a knock from bad fuel????????
Also, I haven't had any help with this but my throttle control motor makes a grinding noise when I turn the ignition switch on and off. It doesn't really affect anything as far as I know, but the noise is there and there must be something going on.

Now that everyone has a little backround info. maybe someone can help me out.

But thanks mytundrarocks for your input

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be a cracked exhaust manifold or just the injectors ticking.
I did a search and pulled up an audio clip soomeone posted for exhaust leak. Definetely not the tick I was hearing. I haven't heared it for a while which makes be think it was the injectors or bad fuel. The noise hasn't been prevelant since running some injector cleaner through the fuel system a couple times.

I really want to know what the noise is that my throttle control motor is making? I dont want to take it to toyota becuase they want 90.00 just to diagnose something. And since its not affecting anything mechanical, im not worries about it too much. However, when I disconnect the electrical connector from the throttel control motor, and turn the ignition on and off, the noise is gone. I have posted a couple threads on this and no one has been able to provide any feedback.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Original fuel filter at 73,000 miles and if i reading right, this is on a 2001? Original fuel filter would be 9+ years old. These do break down and I have seen them start to dissolve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts