Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Tundra 4wd V8. Recently purchased a "Nitro box" online which supposedly boosts a bit of HP and gas mileage (bit of an oxymoron if you ask me). At any rate for the price I figured I would give it a shot. It says that you connect it to either the air intake temp sensor or the coolant temp sensor. I dont have a Chiltons for this truck so I was wondering if anyone here knows where these sensors are located. Pics would be great too. Thanks!

Ryan

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I would suggest returning / discarding this device ASAP. They "work" by tricking the ECM into richening the air/fuel mixture by fooling one of the temperature sensors into thinking it is cooler than reality. The leap of faith occurs in assuming the air/fuel mixture was not already optimal. An excessively rich mixture over a long term can cause engine problems by carbon buildup, washing the oil off the cylinder bores, etc. :cry:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting info Mike, I was not aware of that. Anyone else have experience or advice they would like to add? Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have heard the same thing, all it does is enrichen the mixture a bit, could be bad for ya, I would send it back

·
Registered
910 Posts
We had a brief discussion on this in the engine forum a while back.

What the other guys said is dead on...these devices change the air inlet temperature by altering the resistance of the air inlet temp sensor, which is embedded in the MAF sensor. What this does is make the computer think that it is colder out than it is, which causes the computer to richen up the mixture.

Here's the rub....we're not sure if the 4.7 is setup to run a bit on the rich or lean side. Someone posted in the other thread that the default setup is a bit on the rich side, which would mean one of these devices would actually cost you power and economy.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Most vehicles that come off the assembly line do run rich to prevent the possibility of pinging a.k.a. "detonation" and this is especially true for trucks because they usually are hauling something in their bed.

You should get a URD Maf Calibrator... with a laptop, you can tune your truck perfectly giving you better throttle response, fuel economy, and some power. Don't expect it to throw you in the seat when you punch the gas though.

Underdog Racing Development

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a bunch guys. Looks like I got jacked; live and learn I guess. I should have researched a bit more before buying but hell, it happens

Ryan

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey, and while you are on the subject, feel free to ask here before you spend your money. We tend to look out for one another and will keep you from taking the lid off those bottles of snake oil out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts