Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2 trys at my dealership to get my drive shaft lubed, they finally put a master tech on it. There were 5 fittings lubed. On 2 previous occasions, the tech said the driveshaft didn't have any lube points. Finally the service manager stepped in and got it done, (no charge). I also had both front and rear differentials and the transfer case, drained and refilled Total cost, $132.00 otd. For that cost including fluids I wouldn't even begin to do it myself. All in all, props to Centennial Toyota. :tu:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ya that drive shaft is a little tricky because there is only one zerk fitting at each location and you have to have it rotated down in order to see it. Good job on keeping up with all the maintenance on your Sequoia.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, my problem was not being able to get a definitive answer as to whether or not there even were fittings on the sequoia drive shaft. This dealer's "tech" had told me that it was a sealed shaft on 2 attempts to get it done. Finally I met with the service manager and he didn't know either but he got his best master tech to do it. Sure enough 5 fittings. I really thought the cost for the differentials and transfer case was very reasonable too. $136 was a deal to me and I'm way to old to slither under there myself anymore so I'm happy, (and my hands are still clean too).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Anybody know exactly where the 5 fittings are? Pictures would be nice. I crawled under my 08 SR5 4WD this weekend and found 2 fittings - one each on the universals at either end of the main drive shaft. I looked and felt around but all's I found were 2. I'd like to know where the other 3 are.
DB

·
Registered
220 Posts
Props to Centennial Toyota? Holy cow, he had to get is best/master tech on the job and it took two trips! That doesn't speak well of the other monkeys in the cage. This is a very simple and basic job to which others who did not know just lied by saying it is sealed. How can you trust them to get any other service right on their own.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Thanks for the information. Something to bring up on my next service visit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newbie here. I'm having trouble finding that grease in the small cartridges to fit my existing gun.
Any suggestions? How about just using mobile synthetic? In looking at the attachment (thanks buff1), it also seems to request 2 types of grease. Is that necessary? Will one type of grease work for all? My local dealer was a real rip off. Wanted over $100 just to lube the shaft.

thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Newbie here. I'm having trouble finding that grease in the small cartridges to fit my existing gun.
Any suggestions? How about just using mobile synthetic? In looking at the attachment (thanks buff1), it also seems to request 2 types of grease. Is that necessary? Will one type of grease work for all? My local dealer was a real rip off. Wanted over $100 just to lube the shaft.

thanks
Thats really a rip-off. My dealer, (in most cases, rip off artists) actually changed both differentials, my transfer case fluids AND lubed my drive shaft all for $139. The small cartridges used to be sold at pep boys. You might want to just a larger gun so you can use the M1 synthetic grease.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts