Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am posting this because I could not find all of this info in one place before I installed my D3. The install took about 4 hrs. I did pre-wire the harness the night before.

1. The first picture shows how I grounded the well documented bypass. Not sure if this is the correct way to ground it but it worked.

2. The second pic shows the dimmer connection to the green wire on the factory harness. I had to buy an extra wire tap to do this. The wire is short and very tight so I did not want to cut it.

3. The third pic shows the entire mess of wires after everything is connected. Note: I have the jbl system with external amp so the speaker leads on the harness are not hooked up. The rca's are.

4. The fourth pic shows the reverse sensor wire connected to the Red/Black wire on the Black plug in the drivers side kick panel. I left the grey plug above unplugged to get a better view.

5. Finally the infamous speed pulse wire. I took out the gauge cluster and found there are three plastic wire plugs on the back. You want the Green/Orange wire on the far right plug.
Note: There is also a Green/Orange wire on the far left plug. You do not wan this one. I know from experience.

If you use this and something doesn't work check and recheck all connections. Hope this helps save time and confusion for someone else.

By the way this was a 2002 Sequoia with JBL system.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great informative pics! I would love to see the after install pics of the D3 in the vehicle. I have been very interested in putting the same unit in my 04 Seq. Also, my wife is throwing a fit that by having this unit installed will void our Toyota Certified 3mth/3,000 comprehensive warranty due to all the wiring. Does anyone know specifics on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are some pics of the completed install. They were taken at night, I will try to get a couple this weekend during the day. I have no idea why the first pic looks crappy but it does show how nice and tight it fit in the original opening.

A little review of the avic-d3 after a week of use:

Overall I really like this system, for the price it can't be beat.
Pros:
Price
Screen is very clear and bright, never have a problem seeing it during the day.
The screen and menu swiching is very responsive, it is almost instant.
Sirius sound quality is the best I have ever heard.
With all the components available for this unit let it take on many uses.
Excellent sound field and eq options.

Cons:
Wish the knob was bigger and easier to turn.
Navigation is good but not perfect. example (it may say destination is on the left when it is really on the right)
Need to have Nav disk in if you wan to use any of its Nav functions.
If you use the bypass you may go in the ditch.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
That thing fits GOOD! I am definitely going to buy it now. Thanks for the pics. :tu:

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Here are some pics of the completed install. They were taken at night, I will try to get a couple this weekend during the day. I have no idea why the first pic looks crappy but it does show how nice and tight it fit in the original opening.

A little review of the avic-d3 after a week of use:

Overall I really like this system, for the price it can't be beat.
Pros:
Price
Screen is very clear and bright, never have a problem seeing it during the day.
The screen and menu swiching is very responsive, it is almost instant.
Sirius sound quality is the best I have ever heard.
With all the components available for this unit let it take on many uses.
Excellent sound field and eq options.

Cons:
Wish the knob was bigger and easier to turn.
Navigation is good but not perfect. example (it may say destination is on the left when it is really on the right)
Need to have Nav disk in if you wan to use any of its Nav functions.
If you use the bypass you may go in the ditch.
NICE!!!:tu: :tu: Johnnnny

·
Registered
5 Posts
That looks really good. :tu: I had been debating on installing a factory unit or the AVIC-D3. After weighting the pros and cons, I decided to install the D3 and placed an order for it on Monday. I hope to have it installed this weekend or next week, depending on when all the parts arrive. I have also ordered the bluetooth option and the steering wheel control module along with the rear view camera. After seeing the D3 in your Sequoia (mine is an 03 with JBL), I am really excited about the install!! Thanks for the pics and the post, it should make mine a little bit easier.

Quick question: How do you wire up the by-pass? Also, what all does that by-pass do besides to allow changing nav information while driving?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just answered my own question. I just read Zwerty's post on how to hook up the by-pass. Thanks guys.

Johnnny Rock - Thanks for info on the AVIC-D3, I think it's worth installing over the OEM unit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great write up!!! I've been trying to some research here as well. I have a 2003 Sequoia w/JBL. Can ask which aftermarket wire harness did you use?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I have 2006 Sequoia and looking for some information on how to locate the speed sensor wiring to hook up my AVIC D3. Anyone have any experience on how to install?
Appreciate any help you can provide me. Thank you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great write up!!! I've been trying to some research here as well. I have a 2003 Sequoia w/JBL. Can ask which aftermarket wire harness did you use?
I seem to remeber somthing about changes from 02 to 03 so I don't know what harness would work for you. It may possibly be the same one. I would sugest getting it from crutchfield. I know they are a bit more expensive but their knowlege is second to none. They will set you up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,

I have 2006 Sequoia and looking for some information on how to locate the speed sensor wiring to hook up my AVIC D3. Anyone have any experience on how to install?
Appreciate any help you can provide me. Thank you
I assume that the 06 is different from my 02 ? If it isn't all you have to do is read the first post of this thread.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, here is my knowledge as to what I have read, although I am no expert by any means.

From '02 to '03, the JBL system went "digitial" (is that the right term?). As a result the wiring harness needed is different also resulting in a huge increase in price.

Accordingly the VSS (specifically for the '02) wire is located....
Speed Sense green/orange ECM, 28 pin plug in pin 5
Notes: The ECM is behind the glove box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I did my install I had every intention of using the wire off the ecm but I could not locate it and if I did, the wires did not seem to have enough room to tap into. Anyway, the wire behind the insturment cluster was extreemly easy to find.

·
Registered
45 Posts
from my experience I would advise against those plastic wire taps... the best connection would be to strip back the wire and solder and electrical tape the connection.... never seen anything but bad things happen with those plastic things just my 2 cents

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I just ordered the AVIC-D3 myself, along with a PAC SWI-PS steering wheel control interface. My understanding is that the factor amps need to be bypassed, does AVIC have enough power to crank it out? Or should I buy an amp, and if so, where the heck can you put it without removing rear heating ducts like some folks have. Out here in South Dakota, the rear passengers appreciate having some heat blowing back there :) BTW, I've already replaced the factory speakers with some Polk Audio up front and Clarions in the rear.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ozzy,

I have an 04 DC Tundra that I just installed the AVIC D3 in this week. I by passed the JBL amp because it was taking too long for the Scosche adapter for 04 and new JBL Toyotas to hit stores. The D3 has enough power to push the Polks I have front and rear. Sounds good. The pain is running the wires, but other than that, its worth saving the amp install. Remember, you can always add the amp later if need be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SPDSHFT,
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to have a local dealer do the install, my days of crawling under the dash are long over :) I was considering the Stealth Box Subwoofer by JL Audio (looks sweet), but they won't sell online. Local venders around here (both of them:() want alomst $700.00, too rich for my blood. I wish someone put out a stealth type sub that wasn't so dang spendy. Of course if I get the sub, I'm back into the amp situation again. Anyway, thanx for let'n me know the AVIC jams.
v/r
Ozzy

·
Registered
11 Posts
O.K. Just got back from the shop where I was supposed to pick up my ride. They were to install the Avic D3, sirrius satellite, steering wheel interface, and ipod cable.
The issue: I have a 2006 Sequoia SR5, with the JBL Premium sound system. I did not think that this was the premium but anyway... I also have the factory rear entertainment package. Today I was told that I can not power on the rear DVD without "relocating" my factory deck to another spot in the truck. The Avic unit is not able to communicate with the JBL amps to accomplish this.
So, I can either hook up the Avic and have no DVD for the rear passengers, or I can find a spot for the factory deck and use this to power on the DVD.
If this sounds wierd to you... You are not alone.
I have heard of the brand, METRA? Do any of you know what I can do to fix this problem?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts