Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently picked up an '03 Sequoia and have been fixing the little issues it came with. One of the main ones I'm having trouble with right now is the coolant temperature gauge is reading hot when the truck is at normal running temp.

So far, I've changed the thermostat and gasket with no leaks present and a new sending unit. Currently the temp gauge reacts as follows:

Truck left off overnight: Gauge zeroed out on start, jumps to hot after a minute or so of running

Truck left off for 3 hours or so: Gauge starts off halfway on start and jumps to hot after 30 seconds or so

Anyone have any ideas on what I should check next? Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could it be air trapped in the system?
The truck itself isn't running hot or showing signs of overheating aside from the gauge itself. It feels like the gauge reading is wonky since if it was heating up that quickly, surely the head gasket and internals would be cooked by now. I did go through the steps to remove the air from the system when I replaced the thermostat but it still has the same issue. Could bad wiring from the sensor to the gauge cause this?

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia 4x4 Limited
472 Posts
The temperature sending unit could be faulty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. Tested the resistance on the ECT sensor and that checked out. Ended up opening the instrument cluster to find that one of the spring contacts had someone come out and bent itself. Nonetheless, temp gauge works perfect now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts